2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
ryand90 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello,

I'm a new beginner, playing for about five months now. I would like you to please visit https://soundcloud.com/rjd1234 and listen to my "Its a Small World" variation.

I would like some comments as to your opinions. Does it sound ok?

I enjoyed listening to it. Nice touch and feel where you slow it down at the end. Keep working!

Yamaha P120, MO6, Steinberg MR816, Galaxy Vintage D, Komplete 8 & various other VIs, Reaper
R
ryand90 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks psychonaut! I appreciate you taking the time to listen.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
It sounds very good.

You can play vey well after such a short time. You, obviously, have some talent.

What I would suggest you do next is to put a metronome on and find a speed at which you can play it right on time in a very relaxed (as in not nervous) state. Then, when you have found that speed ... begin moving that speed up, a notch at a time ... all the while keeping the music right on time ... until (after a week or two) you will have it right up to the speed you want and it will be right on time.

I could have used that tip a few years ago ... probably still can ... lol

Nice playing. Keep it up.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
R
ryand90 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Dmd,

Thanks for your nice compliment. I also appreciate the suggestion. It's so weird because I had been thinking about rhythm and trying to play in time better. I have a metronome on my computer program GarageBand. I don't know alot about using one though. What speed would you recommend? I think the default is 120 bpm.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ryand90
Dmd,

Thanks for your nice compliment. I also appreciate the suggestion. It's so weird because I had been thinking about rhythm and trying to play in time better. I have a metronome on my computer program GarageBand. I don't know alot about using one though. What speed would you recommend? I think the default is 120 bpm.

Put it on 80 bpm and give it a try. If you make mistakes or get off the beat, set it to 70 bpm and try again, etc ...

You must find a speed (and it could be very slow) where you can play it without mistakes and on time.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with the others about the rhythm but I thought you did a great job with the piece, especially after only 5 months.

Keep up the good work!

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The playing sounds good, and not out of tempo at all to me; was it a” lesson”?
I don‘t prefer “lesson songs” to play , although they are good for learning ,( like for example “ I’m a little buttercup’ or something like that) .
I think the “dmd’s” advice is good , for me too.
I do use a metronome to slow it down to a good playable beat then increase the tempo.
( when I have a challenging song that I can’t lick the notes ) .
Pick a song you like and learn it for motivation when you get boggled with lesson songs.
Really good for a beginner .

Last edited by pianonewbie1; 12/05/13 02:25 AM.
R
ryand90 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi pianonewbie1, I'm not sure what you mean by a "lesson" song? This was included in my supplemental Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1. It's not a full piece if that's what you mean. I'am going to try and use the metronome however I'm a little nervous as I haven't used one yet. I nervous about syncing my playing of each note to the clicks. I will be trying this however.

Also, do you (or anyone else reading this post) have any inspirational words you can give me about getting better at sight reading/keyboard geography? I practice sight reading everyday reading at least two or three new pieces each day and also complete two lines a day from "A Line A Day Series". It has taken a while, but i've seen some improvement in the five months time. It seems to be a slow process. However, again it's not just the reading but it's syncing what I read to finding the right notes. I rarely look down at the keyboard so it's sometimes hard to still find my place in my head. Does knowing where you are on the keyboard eventually become instinct? I feel as though this has gotten somewhat easier, but I know there are still sometimes when I look at a piece of sheet music, play, and then realize ok what keys am I on at the moment and how do I go from here?

In other words, I'm hoping it will become like typing on the computer where I instinctively know where all the keys are without having to look down. For instance, typing this reply.

Thanks again too for all of your comments and suggestions, they are much appreciated!

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome Ryan! I understand that the metronome can be a little intimidating, but I find it absolutely necessary, otherwise we would all slow down in the tricky parts and speed up when the song gets easier, it's perfectly normal. Just set it at a very comfortable pace, even half your usual speed if you need to, and try not to listen to it too much, just use it to feel the beat. It is particularly important in rhythmic songs like this one.

As for sight-reading, I'm afraid there is no other way but practice, practice, practice. There are a few threads about it on the forum.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Very good, ryand90.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission