2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by billertl
I have a Wellington Piano that was made in 1904, which I want to have restored (it's in rough shape). People have told me that the cost of restoring it would be so expensive, that it would be smarter to just buy a new piano instead. But I think I'll opt for restoring the 1904 piano, just because I think old pianos have character. 1904 was the height of the Ragtime craze, and I could just imagine a person playing Ragtime on that piano back when it was new.

I have a 1905 Howard. Beautiful case. But unfortunately the tuning pins are beginning to loosen and not all the strings will hold a tune any more. I'll never have enough to restore it, but I haven't brought myself to be able to give up the case yet, so I still have it and play my digital most of the time. Maybe in the next couple of years I'll find a way to deal with the dilemma and get myself an acoustic I actually want to play. Or a better digital.

Thanks all, for more great music in your posts.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
E
E

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a 1905 Howard. Beautiful case. But unfortunately the tuning pins are beginning to loosen and not all the strings will hold a tune any more. I'll never have enough to restore it

@jotur

Hi Cathy, I'm not sure what the procedure is exactly but you might ask over in the tech forum about doing some work on the pinblock (I think it's called) and replacing or tightening the pins instead of a complete restore. They might give some insight about what could be done. If it doesn't have many major problems other than this it would be a shame not to keep it. smile Got pictures?

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
J
J
I love ragtime!!!! Once I establish a solid foundation on piano I plan to learn some ragtime stuff. The 'big three' of ragtime piano... besides Scott Joplin there were two other main ones (Joseph Lamb & James Scott). I haven't read through all 7 pages of posts on this thread yet but I imagine the other two have been mentioned already.

Last edited by johnbarnesiii; 12/03/13 03:52 PM.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Egel

Just curious if anybody else has this adiction and struggling through trying to learn piano via this path.

Yes I like Joplin's rags, but I put only the well known Maple Leaf and Entertainer on my todo list, too much other nice stuff to work on smile

Originally Posted by Egel

I have found that playing midi files via the input to my digital piano is a fantastic way to get the feel of a tune and helps in learning. The only problem is the temptation to let the midi file do all the hard work and just enjoy listening to the tunes.

Haven't heard Rag on Midi but I did hear some Boogie Woogie on midi. It sounded very weird, it totally lacked 'swing' that makes it work. So I would not count too heavily on the midi files.

Nothing wrong with listening but if you want to listen I recommend going for a good audio recording on eg youtube or here on this forum.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii
I love ragtime!!!! Once I establish a solid foundation on piano I plan to learn some ragtime stuff. The 'big three' of ragtime piano... there besides Scott Joplin there were two other main ones. I haven't read through all 7 pages of posts on this thread yet but I imagine the other two have been mentioned already.

Well, there were hundreds of ragtime composers, but two others that are extremely well regarded are Joseph Lamb and James Scott.

There are many fine rags by other classic era composers, such as Artie Matthews, Arthur Marshall, David Guion, Charles Hunter, May Aufderheide, Eubie Blake, et al., not to mention modern composers.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
Got pictures?

I only have one easily accessible picture - scroll down here:

1905 Howard

As for the room itself, the white boxes are gone, but other sheet music books have replicated and taken that space :\ Oh well.

As for fixing the pin block, I hadn't thought about it. I could ask my tech, but I suspect he'd rather I got a newer piano -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Just recently become a ragtime man, and my newly found interest has been strengthened by this thread. I'd like to learn to play some of the silent film ragtime music, just love silent films. The Entertainer and Rocky Racoon (the solo therein can be seen as ragtime.)

Just found this video, someone turning 80's hits into ragtime, on a Nord Stage of course. smirk

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
D
D
Hi, Im a beginner adult player and have found a book that is fun and challenging for my level. Its called Jazz Rags and Blues by Martha Mier. I wold like to find more beginner level songs like that.

W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by DoreenH
Hi, Im a beginner adult player and have found a book that is fun and challenging for my level. Its called Jazz Rags and Blues by Martha Mier. I wold like to find more beginner level songs like that.

There are some free simpler ragtime arrangements linked in my--shameless plug-- Joplin-themed ABF recital thread

Just scroll down to the resources section and you'll see some of the free ragtime sheets I was able to unearth on the Internet. Alas, most ragtime arrangements are covered by copyright and published by the big publishers, so there weren't too many of the free ones that I could find.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
Sorry about bumping an old thread (I'm not sure why it's bad etiquette though)

I love Ragtime! I'm still pretty early in my piano learning journey and I find the Ragtime piano music injects a happy and at the same time kind of surreal type of feeling into my mind. It's like traveling back to the childhood and amusement parks and all the joy and now... the nostalgia... and so it sometimes sounds strangely depressing at the same time, depending on the mood.

I'd love to be able to play it someday, and I'm sure it will be very fun because of the lovely rhythm that resembles drum playing and considering the piano is a percussive instrument, it's gonna be heck of a lot of fun playing Ragtime on the piano! laugh

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
N
Online Content
N
I'm so glad you bumped this old thread! Lots of good info in it. I hope the links to ragtime midi sources are still good -- will check them out when I have more time. I'm not advanced enough to handle ragtime yet, but it's definitely a goal. It sounds like it would be great fun to play.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by meghdad
Sorry about bumping an old thread (I'm not sure why it's bad etiquette though)

[...]

It's only "bad etiquette" when the person who revives a long-dead thread is responding directly to a specific question posted by the original poster who, for some time, has no longer posted on PW.

In many cases, an old thread can contain information and opinions that still spark interest, so it's a question of whether reviving an old thread or starting a new one is more appropriate.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I find it interesting to look at the first page of an old thread and not recognizing anyone who posted back then. Interesting and depressing at the same time.

Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
I find it interesting to look at the first page of an old thread and not recognizing anyone who posted back then. Interesting and depressing at the same time.
True!

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
While any affinity, strong in my youth, I had for classical and jazz has diminished over the years, for some reason I appear to have a permanent infatuation with ragtime. There has been a huge amount of accomplished ragtime written in the last few decades, probably much more than during its previous history. For me, David Thomas Roberts creates the most powerfully eloquent music in the idiom, but there are many other composers, particularly Scott Kirby, Frank French, Hal Isbitz, Brian Keenan and Reginald Robinson, all of whom have distinctively prolific and interesting musical personalities. None of these people appear to feature in this discussion, which strikes me as odd.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I just started learning my first ragtime piece, The Chrysanthemum by Scott Joplin. I'm really enjoying it.

Last edited by Chrispy; 10/02/20 04:46 AM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by meghdad
I'd love to be able to play it someday, and I'm sure it will be very fun because of the lovely rhythm that resembles drum playing and considering the piano is a percussive instrument, it's gonna be heck of a lot of fun playing Ragtime on the piano! laugh

+1

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission