2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2190449 11/30/13 09:28 AM
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I hope this is "ok" to just post this video as a new topic . if it should be somewhere in the forum , let me know. Any feedback is appreciated . I know there are some lengthy pauses at the tempo changes.

"The Godfather Waltz" composed by Nino Rota on a Casio PX Piano from Pianonewbie1 on Vimeo.

Last edited by pianonewbie1; 11/30/13 09:33 AM.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
To be honest I did not think it was that good. I know you are a newbie but perhaps post videos when you have more experience like this version of what you played below.

http://youtu.be/4erAt0M4AEQ

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well thanks, I certainly could have used another week's practice at it.
I did notice of your "reccomended" comparison that the version I have has maked tempo changes where in doubt I paused, and ad lib'ed a little of the tempo.
His was sure great though.

..... Sure was fun to create the video .
I'll use a more practiced song next time.

Last edited by pianonewbie1; 11/30/13 01:39 PM.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
practice makes perfect grin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pianonewbie,

Great effort on the playing and the video! Keep up the great work! I also agree that one week more with it and you will most likely play it much better.

I noticed a slight sync problem. Did you record the audio and video separately? If so, getting the sync right can be quite tricky depending on what video editor you are using.

Posting like this is fine I think. But are you aware of the Piano bars here on ABF? It is a place to share pieces you are working on for others to listen to. There is also a quarterly recital that you might want to look into. There was one this month so the next will be in February 2014.

Cheers!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by adultpianist
To be honest I did not think it was that good. I know you are a newbie but perhaps post videos when you have more experience like this version of what you played below.

I would disagree that some thing has to be "good enough" to post. By that logic I would never submit anything and I suspect there are a good many people intimidated by the good playing of others on this forum who will never submit anything.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Amaruk
Pianonewbie,
I noticed a slight sync problem. Did you record the audio and video separately? If so, getting the sync right can be quite tricky depending on what video editor you are using.
Posting like this is fine I think. But are you aware of the Piano bars here on ABF? It is a place to share pieces you are working on for others to listen to. There is also a quarterly recital that you might want to look into. There was one this month so the next will be in February 2014.
Cheers!

I did use a cable from the piano and recorded video separately , but I also thought it was in sync/time.
I’ve since realized I am able to connect my cam and piano cable both to my computer and record.
-( save on batteries for the camcorder).
Hopefully I have enough processor power to make a record video/sound simutaneously; I do like doing that creative thing there with the video layers though.

-I am not sure where the piano bar topics are located, unless they may be in another forum
I would’ve liked to read a more positive evaluation of the playing /video , I understand the criticisms. So, I hope to improve it .
Originally Posted by earlofmar

I would disagree that some thing has to be "good enough" to post. By that logic I would never submit anything and I suspect there are a good many people intimidated by the good playing of others on this forum who will never submit anything.

I do agree with this, not only because of the proficiency of other players; but becuase playing piano is sort of developmental and there’s likely a level of proficiency that is excellent on one level ,but maybe fair on another “ higher or different genre of music ” level.
I more or less practice /play for skill and some enjoyment of my favorite songs . But skill is keystone no doubt , to bring out the beauty of the music.

Thanks for the feedback .

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by pianonewbie1

-I am not sure where the piano bar topics are located, unless they may be in another forum
I would’ve liked to read a more positive evaluation of the playing /video , I understand the criticisms. So, I hope to improve it .

pianonewbie1 - the piano bar can be found in the Adult Beginners Forum where this post sits. A new piano bar (thread) opens on the first day of every month which can be opened by anyone with a piece for show. There are no rules and you are free to post your recordings and videos which will be seen by as many people as any other post but more likely to receive a few more responses. Good luck and keep posting, as it is wonderful to watch people progress in their journey which also helps keep us motivated.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Pianonewbie,
Cheers!

I did use a cable from the piano and recorded video separately , but I also thought it was in sync/time.
I’ve since realized I am able to connect my cam and piano cable both to my computer and record.
-( save on batteries for the camcorder).
Hopefully I have enough processor power to make a record video/sound simutaneously; I do like doing that creative thing there with the video layers though.

Originally Posted by earlofmar

I do agree with this, not only because of the proficiency of other players; but becuase playing piano is sort of developmental and there’s likely a level of proficiency that is excellent on one level ,but maybe fair on another “ higher or different genre of music ” level.
I more or less practice /play for skill and some enjoyment of my favorite songs . But skill is keystone no doubt , to bring out the beauty of the music.

So when you reach a high standard there is nowhere else to go to develop. Pianists such as Lang Lang are so good at what they do, they can go no further.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well done, apart from the unwelcome rests (pauses) which you also mention in the original post.

About the recording, did you overlay the sound track from the piano with the video and sound tracks from the video recording? The keys of at least most Casio models make such noise and I thought I heard the noise from the keys when they hit bottom, especially in the beginning.

This is why it's best, when recording audio and video seperately, to leave out the audio track from the video file. It can be tricky to sync seperate audio and video tracks from two files, but the outcome will be a better recording, totally free from hum and hiss.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

After more practice at this I just realized how RIGHT you were.. I was ad lib-ing the tempo to the point of my own syncopation.
I am going to redo this if only for comparison.
I would ask you please assess the song - then
Honestly, my ego did get in the way when I first read you post but I appreciate your honesty, because I wouldn’t have known to “fix” it and would have been smug.

---piano is sort of developmental [/b]and there’s likely a level of proficiency that is excellent on one level ,but maybe fair on another “ higher or different genre of music ” level.
I more or less practice /play for skill and some enjoyment of my favorite songs . But skill is keystone no doubt, to bring out the beauty of the music.

So when you reach a high standard there is nowhere else to go to develop. Pianists such as Lang Lang are so good at what they do, they can go no further.

Not sure what you mean “you reach a high standard there is nowhere else to go to develop” .
I bet you can always improve a style or level .

Originally Posted by TheodorN
Well done, apart from the unwelcome rests (pauses) which you also mention in the original post.

About the recording, did you overlay the sound track from the piano with the video and sound tracks from the video recording? The keys of at least most Casio models make such noise and I thought I heard the noise from the keys when they hit bottom, especially in the beginning.

This is why it's best, when recording audio and video seperately, to leave out the audio track from the video file. It can be tricky to sync seperate audio and video tracks from two files, but the outcome will be a better recording, totally free from hum and hiss.

I recorded the video from my camcorder, and played the Casio to my dell laptop.
Then I muted the sound from the video in Windows moviemaker, and added the sound from my recorded casio piano.
Then I added layers in movie shop to my video for “creative purposes”.
I really am going to redo the video of my “performance”.
I believe it is lacking . I was just more eager to get it on here once I found my camcorder recently.

I am glad i did in spite of "having" to redo it.
Try not to judge my playing on that video alone

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

After more practice at this I just realized how RIGHT you were.. I was ad lib-ing the tempo to the point of my own syncopation.
Honestly, my ego did get in the way when I first read you post but I appreciate your honesty, because I wouldn’t have known to “fix” it and would have been smug.

---piano is sort of developmental [/b]and there’s likely a level of proficiency that is excellent on one level ,but maybe fair on another “ higher or different genre of music ” level.
I more or less practice /play for skill and some enjoyment of my favorite songs . But skill is keystone no doubt, to bring out the beauty of the music.

[b]Not sure what you mean “you reach a high standard there is nowhere else to go to develop” .
I bet you can always improve

How can you improve on this?

http://youtu.be/avOy2QsXNCM

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

+1

The level of effort that goes into the syncing process depends on your video editor. My editor (FCPX) has an auto sync function and it syncs the external audio with the video in a split second!

B
B

[b]Not sure what you mean “you reach a high standard there is nowhere else to go to develop” .
I bet you can always improve

How can you improve on this?

http://youtu.be/avOy2QsXNCM

This question seems a bit silly to ask on a beginner's forum, but I'd be willing to bet that if you asked the pianist herself she would have ideas on how the performance could be improved.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
It was not meant to be a question. I said how can you improve on this because in my mind the pianist is so good at what she does there cannot be anything she needs to improve on technically at all.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Pianonewbie1, you can never judge a piano player from one performance. I was not doing that, sorry if it came out that way. For all I know you could be able to play The Godfather Waltz perfectly and just were nervous in this recording.

I'm pretty sure that happens to most of us, at least every now and then. I have such trouble with some chord progressions, that I don't even hit the right keys when I never take my eyes off the piano. I mean when I've reached the point of not having to look at the sheet, because I've played the part so often, I've forced my brain to memorize it.

Good for you to record audio and video entirely seperately, I was wrong about how you did that. All in all, keep up the good work, this was fine, keep on practising.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It was not meant to be a question. I said how can you improve on this because in my mind the pianist is so good at what she does there cannot be anything she needs to improve on technically at all.

I think that performance can be improved too but I don't know how myself. You see what I have noticed since I started playing piano is that our hearing improves along with our ability to play piano. Thus, the better you get, the more things you hear in a performance.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

I think that performance can be improved too but I don't know how myself. You see what I have noticed since I started playing piano is that our hearing improves along with our ability to play piano. Thus, the better you get, the more things you hear in a performance.

Quite so but if you watch my clip again, the pianist playing is very very good. I do not think there is anything lacking technically in her performance whatsoever. You do not usually clap half way through a recital but this pianist played a part of the concerto so well that the audience gave her a clap. What she was playing was extremely difficult. The runs as you call them were so fast up and down the keys and the speed at which her fingers moved were incredible. But as a beginner someone playing at high concert pianist level would seem incredible, but to them it is ordinary. It has been said that the standard for trainee concert pianists is very high, whereas years ago what students are learning now would not have been taught because it would have been thought of as too hard

Last edited by adultpianist; 12/01/13 10:25 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's obviously a beginner's attempt, and as such it should be taken. I'm sure that after some practice it will sound much better, and the full point of recording one's work is to be able to compare with later works. You are very brave to make it public and accept criticism.

A beginner cannot play faultlessly, by definition. I would expect an better interpretation from somebody who's been playing for more time, a good one for those intermediate and a brilliant one for advanced. That's the point of different learning levels.

It would be interesting if the OP could upload the same piece after more practicing and then after a couple years. I'm sure the progress will be very obvious.

As earlofmar says, seeing progression not only helps the OP, but also other people in the forum, as we can see the results of the effort put into playing.

Anyway, well done!

Last edited by evamar; 12/02/13 04:41 AM.

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Pianonewbie1,

Good for you to record audio and video entirely seperately, I was wrong about how you did that.

I used two cables ( a-v to stereo headphone jack) and a camcorder but recorded at the same time.

Originally Posted by evamar

As earlofmar says, seeing progression not only helps the OP, but also other people in the forum, as we can see the results of the effort put into playing.

Anyway, well done!

I know it helps and motivates me, but who is the "OP"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission