2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,856 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone seen or know any info about them can not find any serial number looked at one picture in Steinway books of troops playing it.

J
JRS Offline
J
Rhonda

I have seen one of the Victory Steinways in its battle green painted case. The piano its self left a little to be desired but hey who cares - this is Steinway history for real. The one I looked at was here in the UK and was I beleive shipped back to a client in the States. Not a great deal more that I can add.

Rhonda Offline OP
OP Offline
you can see on it where is was green at one time they have painted it black but you are right the history behind it .

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very cool. I'm wondering if there are more of these around such as in the Smithsonian. I had an article I found last year about a Steinway that way on a US Navy Sub. It had been delivered in the dark of night whne the sub was being built and was in a special case that was opened after the sub was underway. I'll try to find it or at least post the url. I looked at a piano that someone had done a camoflage paint job on. Instead of green or tan they used white and purple. Sort of a Gateway Computer pattern. It actually blended in quite well with the rest of the room that was painted the same way

Certificate in Piano Technology NBSSP
Associate Member PTG
Yamaha & Petrof/Nordiska Training
Dampp-Chaser System Installer
QRS/ Pianomation Service
Certified Piano Disc Technician/Installer
J
JW3 Offline
J

In honor of our veterans this Memorial Day, I thought I would post a couple of photos of a Steinway Victory Vertical piano that my father bought from the GSA back in the early 60's for $75.00. It was a real dog when he got it with blue paint, and every white key had a cigarette burn on it. Someone had carved "Big Rudy" on the front of it. Its last home had been a VA hospital. He spent many hours restoring this piano and had the keys and felts redone and the soundboard was restrung. It has been played by 3 generations of our family and still sounds great!

S/N is 5399 and you can still see the original blue paint on the inside of the piano. As far as I can tell, it would have been a "Navy" model for shipboard service. Anyone have any additional information on these pianos, perhaps a S/N range?

Understand that the The Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad, CA has an Army model on display.

See also:

http://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/george-lukas

http://www.stillfumin.com/stillfuminnews/SFNEWS_winter_2008_2009_web.pdf

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
They also have one of these WWII Steinways on display at the new Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) here in Phoenix.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
L
L
i had a victory vertical that my father brought back from germany after the war. i learned how to play on it and took it with me when i had a home of my own. i loved it. my folks had it finished in a satin black finish. unfortunately i lost the piano in katrin. i lived in an area of new orleans that was under really caustic water for three weeks. the piano wasn't restorable. i would love to find another one to replace it. it was exactly like the pictured above, but with a black finish. i really want another one and don't care what color. can anyone out there help me locate a replacement? what joy it would be to find one.

P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
Sorry to hear about this loss, Loretta. They are usually held for special reasons such as yours or displayed in WW2 museums. I don't know of anyone selling one explicitly, but if you search this forum, you will find that there are indeed others here who own them who might be willing to let them go for a certain price. Or with enough searching, you will stumble on one I am sure.

Best wishes-

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission