2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 9 invisible), 1,443 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
alby12 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi, I haven't posted here for a while. Just an update on my progress. I did grade 8 last year, which I felt went poorly (I had a memory lapse in the first movement of a Beethoven Sonata and had to restart), but I still managed to get a B+..

So just a few hours ago I did my performance certificate exam (which is a grade between 8 and associate diploma), I felt I did much better than my previous exams, I didn't have memory lapse for once, and I felt I was able to deliver the pieces musically like I intended. Of course I got VERY nervous before the exam, also, as I seated myself on the piano I noticed the keys were all wet! (I was the first student that morning, and it must be condensation) so I asked the examiner if she has some tissues to wipe the keyboard lol.

Feel free to ask me any question about the exam. Overall, it was a great experience, though there were times when I wanted to turn around and just cancel the whole exam thing, but I'm glad I persevered. x

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Congratulations albynism........sounds like you got the monkey off your back from last year

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Congratulations! That is an accomplishment.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
C
C
Congrats Albynism!

What's it like during the actual exam?
Do you get a chance to warm up on the piano?

Once you've played your pieces, is there a verbal or conversational aspect to the exam about the pieces you've played?

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by albynism
I felt I did much better than my previous exams, I didn't have memory lapse for once, and I felt I was able to deliver the pieces musically like I intended.

That is so great! Gives the rest of us some hope! Persevering through adversity is something to be *exceedingly* proud of.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
A
alby12 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you everyone.

Carlos88:
The examiner give you some time to get used to the piano while they prepare the paperwork. so it was about 3-5 minutes.

After I finished playing, there is a conversational aspect (general knowledge test) where they ask you questions about the pieces, the composers etc. They never discuss how you went during the exam though. I think all she said was, "that's all, you're free for the rest of the day now!"

They post the result to you about a week after the exam.

A
alby12 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Got my result. It's a B... Not too happy because I thought I did better then the previous exam which I got a B+ for..

It did say that I am under the required minimum duration of 25 minutes so my teacher reckon I could have gotten a A but lost a grade because of that. Bummer!

A
alby12 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
It did say I'm overtly dramatic in the Chopin polonaise. Muhahaha laugh

C
C
Thanks for your answers Albynism. It's nice that they get the exam results back so quickly.

I was wondering if you purposefully changed anything in your preparation between your exam last year and this year?

Was there anything in the exam feedback that surprised you or your teacher (besides the overly dramatic Chopin :-) ? Or feedback that you found to be particularly insightful or useful?

It seems unfair to dock you a whole grade for being short of the 25 minutes. Next time, you'll have to tell them that you've thrown in part of John Cage's 4'33" :-)

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
A
alby12 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Carlos88: Yes, my number one priority in this exam was memorization because I had a bad memory lapse last exam. So I practiced everything by looking at my hands, learned where the checkpoints are (so I can restart from that point in case I have a memory lapse), played the program in front of my friends a couple of times - overall, a very mindful practice.

The exam feedback were very helpful actually. It say I need to work on rhythm and technicality, something that my teacher have been telling me about, and I agree that rhythm and fast finger-work is not my forte.

Unfortunately 4'33" is not in the syllabus. I actually thought of that haha! smile

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by albynism
Got my result. It's a B... Not too happy because I thought I did better then the previous exam which I got a B+ for..

It did say that I am under the required minimum duration of 25 minutes so my teacher reckon I could have gotten a A but lost a grade because of that. Bummer!

Would have been nice for your teacher to have told you that before ... presumably you both knew how long everything was?

Oh well, B at an advanced level like that is still pretty good.

I wonder if you could have been over dramatic with 4'33 too?

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
alby12 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
No, my teacher never told me about the 25 minutes requirement.. sigh.
I should have played everthing at LENTO.

A
alby12 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I love the comment about the excessive drama, she also wrote "I sense a personal involvement..." what the? hahahaha. A Lang Lang in the making perhaps?

C
C
B is not bad, remember the C is there for a reason. 5 day wait for result? I've been waiting 55 days (and counting) for my most recent piano exam result.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission