Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Hurricane Irma & Our Piano Friends!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
63 registered members (Agent88, Beacon Chris, ando, accordeur, 19 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2185565 - 11/20/13 10:20 AM Suggested method books for kids aged 6-10 and 11+?  
Maechre Offline
Maechre  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Hi, all.

I've been teaching for the past year under a company that distributes me to a school. I've been using the method the company uses, and it's fine for my eight-year-old student.

I may be starting private teaching soon (that's my ultimate goal), and was wondering which methods you would suggest for different age groups. Where would you draw the line between the ages for different methods? i.e. 6-10 and 11+. I'm not sure how different age groups respond to cartoons in their books, or if they'd rather something that feels more mature.

Right now I'm considering this one for the younger students: http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Adventures-Lesson-Primer-Level/dp/1616770759/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Please let me know which methods you'd suggest for different age groups. (I don't see myself teaching any less than 6-year-olds yet.)

Thank you!

Last edited by Maechre; 11/20/13 10:37 AM.

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2185597 - 11/20/13 11:19 AM Re: Suggested method books for kids aged 6-10 and 11+? [Re: Maechre]  
red-rose Offline
red-rose  Offline

Cleveland, OH
I use the one you linked to for approximately age 7-10.

Staying in the same series (Faber), your other options are:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Piano-Adventure-Lesson-Book/dp/1616776196/ (I use this for 5/6 year olds, and the one time I taught a 4 yo. If it's too easy for a 6 yo, they can either transfer to the primer you linked to, or after doing books A and B, then can go directly to level 1 and skip level C. http://www.amazon.com/Level-Lesson-Book-Piano-Adventures/dp/1616770783/ )

For approximately 11 year olds up to maybe 15? I use this http://www.amazon.com/Accelerated-Piano-Adventures-Older-Beginner/dp/1616779497/

Then finally for adults (15/16 and up) there's this http://www.amazon.com/Adult-Piano-Adventures-All--Lesson/dp/1616773022/

Oftentimes it really is a guess if someone is on a borderline age group. If I can do it without being awkward, I sometimes try to ask the parent things like "how does the kid do in school" or "how diligent are they at doing things like homework of their own motivation?" to get an idea of how hardworking the student *might* be at piano, if I have to buy their books before even meeting them, to help me guess if they should be on the older or younger level track.

They can always switch if needed, so it's not set in stone, (just the annoying $20-ish for new books!) One little anecdote; I had two girls who were friends start around the same time and they were about 10/11. For whatever reason, I put one in the "regular" track, and the other in the "accelerated older beginner" track. The entire several years I taught them, they ended up playing songs at basically the exact same level - the one in the regular level just moved faster, and the one in the accelerated level just moved slower!

#2185761 - 11/20/13 03:25 PM Re: Suggested method books for kids aged 6-10 and 11+? [Re: Maechre]  
Barb860 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Barb860  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

northern California
I'm not a fan of the purple Piano Adventures primer book, but I do like the series for the young beginners, books A, B, and C.

Consider the Alfred Premier Piano Course for the kids aged 6-10. I like it a lot.

Piano Teacher
#2185820 - 11/20/13 05:19 PM Re: Suggested method books for kids aged 6-10 and 11+? [Re: Barb860]  
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by Barb860
Consider the Alfred Premier Piano Course for the kids aged 6-10. I like it a lot.

I second that!

And don't forget about Hal Leonard for kids who would benefit from a more leisurely pace. I like the artwork in that series the most--more natural, friendly, and inviting. The pictures in Piano Adventures are too cartoon-ish; they look like computer-generated artwork by people who majored in graphic design rather than art.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
#2187610 - 11/24/13 06:52 AM Re: Suggested method books for kids aged 6-10 and 11+? [Re: Maechre]  
Maechre Offline
Maechre  Offline

Melbourne, Australia
Thanks, guys!

Does anyone else have suggestions, or back up any of the above? At this point I would still have to get all of them to test them out. I'd rather start off on the right foot. smile

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
#2188746 - 11/26/13 04:50 PM Re: Suggested method books for kids aged 6-10 and 11+? [Re: Maechre]  
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member
musicpassion  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

California, USA
Originally Posted by Maechre
Thanks, guys!

Does anyone else have suggestions, or back up any of the above? At this point I would still have to get all of them to test them out. I'd rather start off on the right foot. smile

Piano Town, for ages 7-10.

Pianist and Piano Teacher

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P255 controller iOS app
by fary. 09/20/17 06:06 PM
Suggestions needed
by Twinstter. 09/20/17 04:23 PM
The Piano Book's 30th Anniversary
by S. Phillips. 09/20/17 04:02 PM
Harp as second instrument
by justyna_ewa. 09/20/17 03:48 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics181,952
Posts2,659,035
Members88,871
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission