2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2188421 11/26/13 02:50 AM
K
OP Offline
K
My 7 y/o girl has been playing for about 12 months, 6 month school group lessons and 6 with a private tutor who comes to are home. She's progressing really well and my daughter loves the teacher, but I've found another teacher who studied at the Sydney conservatorium and also went to the high school attached to the conservatorium, and learning with her (above everything else) would provide some excellent networking.

I'm going to continue with our current teacher, but would like to get peoples thoughts on whether using a second teacher? Does it only serve to confuse a young learner or can be beneficial?

kelpie67 #2188427 11/26/13 03:12 AM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I wouldn't accept a student under the conditions you are asking about. I would require the student to quit the old teacher if they wanted to study with me. Otherwise they can just stay with the old teacher.

Networking? Your daughter is 7 and is just barely starting her music. What are your hopes for "networking"?

Pianist and Piano Teacher
kelpie67 #2188430 11/26/13 03:18 AM
S
S
Why don't you ask your daughter

kelpie67 #2188465 11/26/13 07:08 AM
M
M
If she likes her current teacher, I'd say that's motivating to her. You really want to keep that motivation up.

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by musicpassion
I wouldn't accept a student under the conditions you are asking about. I would require the student to quit the old teacher if they wanted to study with me. Otherwise they can just stay with the old teacher.

Networking? Your daughter is 7 and is just barely starting her music. What are your hopes for "networking"?

Well the networking thing is more a chance for me to meet with some one who has just come through the high school and university which would be great to send our daughter to.

kelpie67 #2188495 11/26/13 09:04 AM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by kelpie67

Well the networking thing is more a chance for me to meet with some one who has just come through the high school and university which would be great to send our daughter to.

Use two teachers, the old one for your daughter and the new one for yourself. Problem solved. <g>

gotta go practice
kelpie67 #2188531 11/26/13 10:16 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I don't understand why you'd want to change so early on in her development. Do you have issues with the current teacher's methods? Networking is not important for a beginner piano student. If you feel the current teacher is not able to provide the instruction that your daughter needs, then discontinue lessons with that teacher according to her policy and start your daughter with the new teacher - in that order.

If she studies with two people early on it will be confusing to her and will hamper her musical growth. Even two great teachers do not teach beginners in the same manner, and yet they are both great teachers.

My suggestion: stick with the current one because you know it's working out well between them. Once you feel your daughter has outgrown this teacher or if this teacher recommends she move on to a more advanced teacher, then that other teacher will still be an option (or someone else with good credentials).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
kelpie67 #2188533 11/26/13 10:19 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As a parent, I think having two teachers for this purpose is bad. I think both teachers have reasons to feel offended.

If you want to find out about what the high school and the conservatory are like, maybe you can schedule an information session with the second teacher (you can pay her for that) and ask her to give you the information you want. Or, when your daughter shows interest in going to a high school focused on music, you can go to the high school's information meetings, schedule visits, ask to talk with their admissions officers and ask them to introduce you to their alumni.

M
M
Originally Posted by childofparadise2002
As a parent, I think having two teachers for this purpose is bad. I think both teachers have reasons to feel offended.

If you want to find out about what the high school and the conservatory are like, maybe you can schedule an information session with the second teacher (you can pay her for that) and ask her to give you the information you want. Or, when your daughter shows interest in going to a high school focused on music, you can go to the high school's information meetings, schedule visits, ask to talk with their admissions officers and ask them to introduce you to their alumni.
Excellent point. And you can tell her current teacher that this may be something to consider in the FAR future (she's only 7!). When the time comes, this teacher, I'm sure, can help prepare your daughter for auditions.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
kelpie67 #2188553 11/26/13 10:55 AM
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
It's completely off the topic but I know a lady who has three teachers. She is 65 and had three teachers (excluding 2 from uni) in her life taking lessons off and on for 45 years. She could not say no to those old teachers and continued lessons with them. Now the two teachers (not the main teacher) are very old 80 and 91. She really does not have heart ti say no. Needless to say she is quite wealthy and an excellent pianist.

FarmGirl #2188556 11/26/13 11:00 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
It's completely off the topic but I know a lady who has three teachers. She is 65 and had three teachers (excluding 2 from uni) in her life taking lessons off and on for 45 years. She could not say no to those old teachers and continued lessons with them. Now the two teachers (not the main teacher) are very old 80 and 91. She really does not have heart ti say no. Needless to say she is quite wealthy and an excellent pianist.
And not a beginner. Even doing this for 45 years on and off, did she start piano 45 years ago with 3 teachers? I'm guessing not. An advanced student studying form several teachers is acceptable and should be beneficial. But a beginner who is 7 years old taking from two teachers, one who likes playing from hand positions and another who likes teaching reading from landmark notes can be quite confusing. Neither is wrong, but the approaches are very different and will make twice the work for a student - especially if neither teacher is aware of the other. They will be each assigning two different things, so the student will have twice the work to do. Even if they know about each other and agree to work together (unlikely), it is very possible they will often contradict one another or want to focus more on one thing than another and the child will feel caught in the middle wanting to please both. I just don't see this ending well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
kelpie67 #2188583 11/26/13 11:45 AM
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Morodiene - totally agree with you. Its not a good idea to have multiple teachers at the same time when they were young. The pianist friend I quoted above is in the category who started piano at 6 years old continued till college senior years, drop it for years and resumed as an adult. She had one teacher when she was a child.

kelpie67 #2188600 11/26/13 12:25 PM
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Kelpie, you sound like Cardinal. Every so often we hear from her, about her 6yo boy and her dreams of piano trophies. Try not to screw up your daughter's relationship with her present teacher: that's where your idea is heading.

kelpie67 #2188603 11/26/13 12:34 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
"She's progressing really well and my daughter loves the teacher, but I've found another teacher"

You might look at your reasons for actively scouting another teacher. So far you only mention that your 7 year old will make connections that may or may not be of assistance in 7-11 years.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
Kelpie, you sound like Cardinal. Every so often we hear from her, about her 6yo boy and her dreams of piano trophies.

Peter ?!

That was quite a different story I thought:
She misunderstood the reasons of the urgency for her 6 year old to change teacher. She thought it was to foster his talent, but at the end she found out that the real reason was his 6 year old was hurting himself and the first teacher was unable to correct. And she owned up to her embarrassing mistake in this public forum, I thought it was quite brave.

kelpie67 #2188747 11/26/13 04:52 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by kelpie67

I'd suggest not worrying about that until years down the road when your daughter is older and further in her music studies.

Pianist and Piano Teacher

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission