2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by xorbe
Lol that's awesome, Mike is top notch.

+1

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Very cool!

(both the live clinic, and the cool anime characterisation)

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
The graphics department did that on their own...without any input from me. LMAO. I never thought I'd be a cartoon.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Wow, nice. wink

I reckon you should use the head as your profile pic. wink

I might have to ask the folks here if they'll do something similar for me. wink

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Fabulous ! Mike will have his own cartoon series; he's starting to become a real celebrity , time for a late night show's appearance ;-)

Great idea such clinics ; proves (again) how involved Casio - and especially Mike - is with the end-users of their gear. Yammie / Roland / Korg pay attention !

Originally Posted by voxpops
Maybe something like the Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Mobile speaker II or the mini version would sit comfortably on the battery cover. The battery is rechargeable, too, and so it doesn't necessarily have to be plugged in.

I have a similar one from Sony that I used exactly for that purpose when I was in a pinch and didn't have anything besides headphones. Worked perfectly.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Plinky88
Originally Posted by anotherscott

The SuperTooth Disco also looks like it could be a nice option, in terms of size, specs, and price.

If this is the one you are talking about, I like it. The blue LEDs match the PX-5S! Like that retro dial too. cool

I ended up trying one of those out and was not impressed. I'd like to try out the Bose some time.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
haha, fine

PX-5S or PX-850 shall be my next DP, after many years of Yamy DGX-620. Kawai is out of reach here in Brazil and Roland is insanely expensive. Casio is all the rage these days and got some terrific new gear. I'm also sold by the passion Mike pours into the videos :thumbsup:

Last edited by Doritos Flavoured; 09/11/13 10:17 AM.

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
It looks like this might be a very nice speaker to pair with a PX-5S

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iloud/

The connections are on the back, but it looks like you could still lie the speaker down over the battery cover, and just let the connections essentially hang over the back of the PX-5S.

And darn, I missed Mike's presentation last night!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

And darn, I missed Mike's presentation last night!

No worries, you can catch it anytime on YouTube. smile
Mike goes over: quick layering, hexlayer creation, arpeggiator editing and using the phrase sequencer. Great clinic, Mike. Thanks!

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
iLoud

Did I read that right, $300 for battery powered speakers, that claims to be the first portable amp for musicians? o_O Damn, I'm working in the wrong field!!!

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
No worse than the Bose Soundlink II. I'm sure you can get better sound for $300... the question is whether you want to pay the premium to get the most usable sound you can out of a box that is that small (and that runs off a rechargeable battery). It's definitely a bit of a specialty device.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just a heads-up to the PX-5S peeps.. Mike is having another PX-5S Live Clinic at http://ustream.com/casiomusicgear at 7:00pm ET (about an hour from this post). He is covering a bunch of functions and how-tos. smile

V
V
These clinics Mike Martin runs are incredibly valuable! And he does an outstanding job at doing them live with so little "demo effects".
The Facebook group and PX-5S portal where all the links, patches and information are shared are outstandingly valuable as well.
One thing that I would like to hear or read about is the PX-5S used as a song composition and production tool, not only a stage/live performance DP.
How does it compare with the competitors' workstations once it is connected to a PC or Mac with a good sequencer/music production tool like Cubase.
One thing that I am impressed with is the integration of the Yamaha MOXF8 with the Steinberg Cubase AI.
Maybe I am easily impressed but I am tempted to do the effort and shell out the extra dough to get this Yamaha MOXF8 (that comes with Cubase AI) instead of the Casio right now. I intend to purchase my DP on black Friday or Cyber Monday.
I would like to know how the phrases sequencer on the PX-5S integrates with production tools (so we can edit the phrases, songs, ...), how the external sequencer will play the stage settings, hex layer voices ... It is a mystery right now. Did I miss this information in the Casio doc? A short video would be very helpful.
Another thing: I do not own any Apple product. And I am probably not the only one. What about a tool on Android devices? They are very capable, have USB Host capabilities (so no need for an extra kit like on the iPad).
Finally, I wonder if the Casio PX-5S editor could be made Open source (What language is it written with?). I happen to be a Software Developer for a living and I would love to be able to add some features and maybe share them back if I come up with something good & useful.

Thanks, Vincent

Last edited by Vincent L.; 11/24/13 09:55 AM. Reason: typos
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I don't know if this applies to the MOXF line but I've read MX users state that Cubase AI has to be downloaded and it is done in stages taking several days before you have an actual working copy to be able to use.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 11/24/13 01:45 PM.
Vincent,
We've already made a patch script for Cubase, Cakewalk and other DAWs like Reaper, so with any of those programs you can easily select sounds from the PX-5S and use it with your DAW.

One other nice thing about the PX-5S is that you have a lot of control over sounds from within your DAW using standard industry standard MIDI controller numbers. So you can easily control Filter, Resonance, Attack, Release, effects mixes and more. I'm actually going to make a "Device Panel" for Cubase soon to make it even easier but it is amazing how much control you have over individual sounds.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Gee Mike...that's impressive. Have to get me one of these one day.

Especially since I played a PX-150 today for the first time. I'm impressed. It's a whole lot better than my old CDP-100. I do like that key finish also.
I have to be very thankful for my CDP. It's keeping me practicing for the time being.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission