2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
33 members (ambrozy, AndrewJCW, 36251, dcupright, deadlymajesty, 1957, 8ude, chaplincap, chopinetto, Bett, 4 invisible), 567 guests, and 538 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pianos you wish you had bought
#2184751 11/18/13 06:41 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Have there been any pianos in your shopping experience that you, in retrospect, wish you had purchased?

In my case I started out with an original budget of 10K but eventually purchased an mahogany Mason A in their Monticello design(fancy legs, lyre, music desk) for a lot more around 12 years ago. Then about six years later I traded up to an ebony Mason BB.

But even before I bought the Mason A I loved both the sound and appearance of a mahogany Mason BB Monticello that I never even really considered because of its price. Of course, by the time I had bought the ebony Mason BB it cost about the same that the Monticello BB would have cost if I bought it when I first saw and played it!

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/18/13 09:55 PM.
Re: Pianos you wish you had bought
pianoloverus #2184908 11/19/13 02:37 AM
T
T
a few months back i played & loved a frankenstein's monster of a mason & hamlin aa in the shop of a reputable restorer; but the sales force-of-nature turned on the hard-sell, so i freaked out & passed. i sort of wish she hadn't done that. i loved the instrument, but the hard-sell caught me quite off-guard and tripped all of my 'if something feels wrong, it is'-alarms. i needed a little time -- not much, but it sold before i figured it out (oh yeah, and: no serial no.). regrets are minimal but not zero. it would've been nice to have an extra 8" of piano. but that instrument put me onto the path of buying m&h, so i'm glad to have had the experience.

in the end i bought a 1926 'a' (unrefinished) with plenty of crown in the soundboard & nice provenance, for less than half the price. so what the heck. i've got 8" more living room and the $ flexibility to have some work done onthe action. i truly love the beast, with which i have formed a weird, interesting bond. it compels me through its sheer gravitational force to practice 2 hours a day. i love having a piano worth trying to live up to. very, very lucky.

thorn

-- Sometimes I poke. Even if I like you.

1920's Mason & Hamlin A
pianoloverus #2184924 11/19/13 03:32 AM
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
I saw a Pfeiffer 118 just after I bought my Schimmel 116 for about the same price at the same dealer. The Pfeiffer seems to be a magnificent instrument. Made me doubt, I can still trade it in if I want to, but I like my piano to much wink

Also, the Bosendorfer 130 CL played for me was stunning, as was it's pricetag wink

pianoloverus #2184972 11/19/13 07:31 AM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
My last year of undergrad, a piano store was going out of business and had for sale a rebuilt/refinished Baldwin SD6 for the grand total of $4500. This was 1979 after all. I did all I could to try and convince my Mom and Dad to sell off the smaller Baldwin and buy this one. I had already auditioned the instrument and it was marvelous. There was no budging my Mom though who remarked "that would look ridiculous in my living room". It was gone in a week! There was also a Lamborghini that got away a few years later.I guess I was on a roll. And so it goes!

pianoloverus #2184992 11/19/13 08:40 AM
When I was in the market, I looked at two Grotrian sizes, 192 and 225. I ruled out the 225 because it was about 7K higher than the 192. Don't get me wrong, the 192 was (and is) a great little piano. But the 225 was a real sweet spot for size. Mega bass if you wanted it. Sweet whisper pp if you needed that. All the range a 7'5" grand can deliver. But I thought it was just too much out of my budget and perhaps too big for my space. The latter argument many have been truer, but we'll never know. I still have some regrets about going small.

I also looked at a 6'10" Bluthner that was around the same price as the Grotrian 225. Another tempting piano, but I ruled it out on price.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2021 Free Newsletter for piano lovers is here now...
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Max Richter: Tiny Desk (Home)
by SeaDrive - 01/23/21 08:24 PM
Advice on buying my first piano
by moodorf - 01/23/21 07:59 PM
Yamaha Model Differences
by RPHPlayer - 01/23/21 07:24 PM
Cannot decide on a beginner keyboard
by sunnyrose98 - 01/23/21 07:10 PM
Bach Busoni Goldberg Variations
by Keith D Kerman - 01/23/21 04:15 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,492
Posts3,050,651
Members100,189
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission