2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Regardless, don't play for the haters. Play for those who like you, and for yourself. Who cares what the haters think.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Damon
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
Gary Graffman: "Lang Lang has received horrible reviews, and in many different cities. I think part of it comes from a bit of jealousy. When people see that he has 150 concerts every year, at a fee that only some opera divas used to get (or now get), they begin to ask questions, ‘why does he deserve it and not others ?’, ‘why is life so unfair ?’." smile

Which is utter nonsense.

Jealousy as the motivation for bad reviews makes no sense at all, since the reviewers aren't pianists in competition with LL. There is nothing for them to be jealous about.

I think there are people of certain personality types that would write a bad review from the point of view that they are jealous FOR their favorites who aren't getting the gigs. I've read posts here where the basher mentioned other, more deserving artists. Do you think reviewers are all above that?

Since the bad or mixed reviews I've read of LL's playing are in line with what I've seen of it, I don't see any reason to make up extraneous motivations for them. The reviews and the reality are in synch, IMO.

S
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by stalefleas
Whatsoever is hugely successful is usually doomed to also be hugely criticized. If there are any counter examples of this please share.
Most of the great pianists were not hugely criticized IMO, except in the sense that since they played a lot of concerts the number of negative reviews they received in some cases might be high. But the percentages of negative reviews was not so high. If two pianists each get 5 negative reviews but one pianist plays 10 recitals a year and the plays 100, I'd say the second was much more successful with the critics.

Most of the greatest pianists were popular with the critics and the public.

Perhaps but I think it is harder to tell with historical figures. How they were perceived by the public, how often they were considered overrated, may not be known too well without some historical analysis and even then much is up in the air.

Like Bach for instance. His work was considered old fashioned in his day (from what I was told by my music history teacher) and even during the classical period he was not widely appreciated. However, beethoven was apparently a fan.

I don't know a great deal of music history but I wonder--were there a lot of people (musicians, namely) dissing the Beatles for writing overly simple, superficial songs? I'm not trying to say the Beatles were either good or bad but they have become canonized at this point. sometimes I can't help but draw parallels between beatlemania and Bieber fever.

Sort of a tangent here maybe better suited for a separate thread.

S
S
I know you're not going so far as bach probably more along the lines of richter but is thought the larger point was still worth mentioning

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stalefleas
I know you're not going so far as bach probably more along the lines of richter but is thought the larger point was still worth mentioning
I think Richter got mostly very good reviews. But he did play a huge number of concerts so the number of his negative or partially negative reviews could be the same as someone who played far fewer concerts.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
Yes, people can have a difference of opinion. People forget that at the time, when he was simply a very talented kid who may have had a chance at a career, that he had no box-office! Nobody had heard of him, and nobody would have known to attend any his concerts. And yet, every conductor that he played for - from the most flamboyant to the strictest, and everybody else in between – said, ‘My God, this is one of the biggest talents we’ve heard in years!’.

The way it’s been done for years, when conductors hear a young talent they like, they’ll say, ‘I would like to hear them again in a year’ or ‘I’ll put them in a youth-concert’. But that wasn’t the case with Lang Lang. Every one of these people changed their major programs for the following season to get him in. I had never seen a thing like that in my life! Everybody naturally criticized him for this and for that, but in the end, these people could see through it all; they saw what was really there.

Very good point, Mr Graffman.

That was a very enjoyable interview. Many thanks to the OP for posting a link to it here.

It would have been good had Graffman named those conductors.

The way I remember it is that DGG signed up LL to their label and launched a big marketing campaign around him. And around that time, some conductors, most of whom just happened to be signed to that very same label, added him to their roster of soloists.

Then, once his fame was established and it was clear he was a major box-office draw, other conductors took him on (or maybe it was mostly the doing of orchestra management). And he left DGG. Interestingly, it seems he often was used as the media-friendly "star" for various gala or benefit concerts, rather than part of the regular subscription series.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Does anyone want me to contact the senior classical music critic in the U.S. to see if he would be willing to weigh on this subject? I can, if you so desire.

And, don't even think of asking me this person's name or worse writing posts as to who it might be. This is a person of scholarship and distinction, who can significantly add something to the mix.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
My apologies: the text should have read "weigh in."

V
OP Offline
V
Thank you all for reading and commenting smile

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks, I always like these interviews smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
S
S
Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
Does anyone want me to contact the senior classical music critic in the U.S. to see if he would be willing to weigh on this subject? I can, if you so desire.

And, don't even think of asking me this person's name or worse writing posts as to who it might be. This is a person of scholarship and distinction, who can significantly add something to the mix.

Sure it could be interesting, though I can't tell what you mean specifically by "the subject" since this thread has gone off in a couple directions.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
A brief clip of Lang Lang at Royal Albert Hall last week (iPhone).

"A person of scholarship and distinction".

Lang lang, in my opinion, is the most disgusting human being to sit down at a piano, in modern times, and perform in public. He is nothing but a reverse xenophobic clown act, that even Tony Tommasini at the NY Times does not have the guts to put in his place.

In plain English, if he wasn't Chinese, he couldn't get arrested as a serious artist in the classical music world.

A person of scholarship and distinction?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing the interview.
One thing I appreciate about first-class artists is how ready they are to say how gifted other artists are, and to mention specific things that are incredibly wonderful about those artists' playing and history. In other places I often read criticisms of the best pianists in the world that are full of petty put-downs, as if it's just some kind of a mistake that the best are the best, and only that critic is smart enough to see through it!

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I've seen both good and bad from Lang Lang. This video is one of the worst I've seen: arbitrary and unmusical phrasing and dynamics, little or no sense of a lyrical line, banging, maniacal tempo changes, playing with arms extended and preventing the use of body weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTu-ymPFRRI

But in more intimate settings, you also get gems like this Ravel Ma mere l'oye with Argerich. He takes relaxed tempi and certainly gets the flavor and languor of the music. I especially like the Laideronette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoy0W37sHRs

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I think the OP must be related to Lang Lang. All of his interviews involve Lang Lang. smile

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Damon
I think the OP must be related to Lang Lang. All of his interviews involve Lang Lang. smile

maybe........he is Lang Lang!!!

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission