2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 281 of 452 1 2 279 280 281 282 283 451 452
A

Gold Supporter until July 24 2015

A
Still crunching along, hope everybody else is making progress as well.

Started weekly lessons (I've had 3 so far), pretty amazed at how badly I play in front of the teacher. I've just been focused on learning the pieces, not on performance. Doing some recordings helps some (red dot fever!) but playing in front of a person is much worse.

Just started in on "The Entertainer" so I'm getting close to the end. My instructor wants me to try memorizing "Scarborough Fair", he says that is a worthy endeavor and should help with the performing thing.

I bought a Zoom h4n audio recorder. My DP doesn't have a dedicated line out (that's one way Casio crippled the PX-150 vis-a-vis the PX-350) and I haven't been able to get satisfactory recordings using the headphone out. The Zoom will also work later when I get an acoustic (someday). grin

Last edited by ajames; 10/30/13 11:02 AM.

[Linked Image]
A
A
Talk about a great day! After performing The Entertainer & Amazing Grace my teacher, she said I'm now ready to move on to Alfred's Adult Level 2 smile

Kawai CA95
Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 2
Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 1 Graduate
S
S
Congratulations Alux.

Casio Privia PX-350
Alfred's Adult All-in-One Book 1 Graduate
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
well done Alux a great achievement

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Great job, Alux!

1978 Dittrich Acoustic Upright
Alfred's 1 Graduate
Currently on Alfred's 2
A

A
Congrats, Alux!
I'm up to the Entertainer. I haven't started Amazing Grace yet, but I hope to this week. So the end is near for me as well.

I've also been working on some of the bonus pieces at the end (Over the Rainbow, Have yourself a Merry Christmas). The bonus songs are really tough! Not sure how many I will do before starting book 2.

[Linked Image]
W
W
Hi all, I began to teach myself the piano using Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course book 1 a couple of weeks ago and have so far managed to get to page 54 (now my brain and hands are fighting against my progress and won't allow me to get to grips with Blow The Man Down).

I was just wondering whether, when I eventually manage to finish the book (which is probably a very long way off) is it worth switching to the All-In-One course? Does the second book follow on exactly from the Basic first one, albeit with the theory and other stuff thrown in? Or does it make more sense just to continue with the basic series?

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Hi Wolf616 and welcome to the forum
The Alfred basic edition does not include any theory as I understand it and therefore you are missing out a great deal of important information. If you are self teaching I would address that issue.

As to the books themselves most people make rapid advances and then reach a speed bump. Blow the Man Down is a common piece to trip up the beginner. You simply need time for the fingers and brain to adapt, so get into the habit of only practicing a piece for a 20 minute session once per day playing it very very slow. Each day you will find a small improvement to built upon. The increasing difficulty means pieces take longer to learn and master so this is something you have to accept and work through.

Of course you can proceed and learn no theory but you may regret that at a later date so my advice would be to switch to the "all in one" books and make up for any lost theory. There are a few youtube teachers (some free) that would be fine. I happen to like this one here

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A

A
You could get the Alfred's level 1 theory book (meant to be used in conjunction with your Alfred basic level 1 book):
http://www.wwbw.com/Alfred-Alfred-s...WBW-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^29644285461

Last edited by ajames; 11/05/13 10:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
W
W
Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will switch to the all-in-one course after this one.

Originally Posted by earlofmar
Hi Wolf616 and welcome to the forumAs to the books themselves most people make rapid advances and then reach a speed bump. Blow the Man Down is a common piece to trip up the beginner. You simply need time for the fingers and brain to adapt, so get into the habit of only practicing a piece for a 20 minute session once per day playing it very very slow. Each day you will find a small improvement to built upon. The increasing difficulty means pieces take longer to learn and master so this is something you have to accept and work through.

Yep this is what I have been trying to do. Blow the Man Down remains a struggle, but I have managed to make a lot of progress on a song with similar characteristics in the All Time Favourites book (Ach Du Lieber Augustine). Hopefully once I've mastered that one the other will come much easier.

I have been learning some theory but by reading other books rather than any Alfred ones - so I haven't skipped it completely! I will get the accompanying Alfred theory book though (thanks ajames) until I move onto the all-in-one book 2 as these Alfred ones seem to be really good! I might even get a teacher...

E
E
I have known many students, old and young alike, who have benefited from this series. I am glad to see such a great discussion around it!

Last edited by E. Christensen; 11/08/13 02:14 AM.
A
A
Thanks everyone, I'm really looking forward to getting into the Level 2.
She's also started me on studying for Preliminary exam for the Australian Music Exam Board as a supplement.

ajames- I really enjoyed learning the last two songs. Take your time and don't rush as they'll fall into place before you realise it. Shame there wasn't Over The Rainbow in my book as I wouldn't mind that.

Wolf616- Keep at it as it's all about having fun while you learn. I found that some song others had problems with were straight forward for me while some that made my hair fall out was easy for others. I'd suggest taking lessons to help guide you along (Case in point I need to learn the Em harmonic scale for two octaves both hands. It was never covered in Alfred's so I kept forgetting the F# until my teacher pointed it out. Apparently I was having a "man look" while I maintain I need better reading glasses... lol).

Kawai CA95
W
W
Originally Posted by Alux
Wolf616- Keep at it as it's all about having fun while you learn. I found that some song others had problems with were straight forward for me while some that made my hair fall out was easy for others. I'd suggest taking lessons to help guide you along (Case in point I need to learn the Em harmonic scale for two octaves both hands. It was never covered in Alfred's so I kept forgetting the F# until my teacher pointed it out. Apparently I was having a "man look" while I maintain I need better reading glasses... lol).

Thanks. The main reason I took it up was just to have some fun, which is part of the reason I decided to wait to get a teacher: I'm sure many are not too pushy and obsessed with exams (which I have no interest in) but all the ones around where I live seem to be keen to take on students who want to do the formal certificate route. I don't really know how to find one who's different, to be honest. I do use an array of different books to supplement the Alfred one - I just see that as the basic building blocks. I've just ordered a beginners blues book which should be good fun.

You'll all be pleased to hear, no doubt, that I've managed to play that song all the way through now with very few mistakes. Hooray! Page 57 here I come.

A
A
I guess that's where I'm lucky Wolf. My teacher isn't pushy at all. She's studying Performing Arts at one of the local Universities and understands the importance of working at ones own pace without pressure. In the early days we spoke of my studying for certificates and made it very clear that would be totally up to me. I decided to study for the exams now that I've upgraded my digital piano and passed All-In-One level one. Perhaps you should look for a music major as a teacher like I have.

Kawai CA95
A

A
I'd like to share some recordings with you all:
Scarborough Fair

I only played through once on this recording, it is supposed to be repeated with the right hand one octave higher. I probably added too much reverb also.

The Entertainer
a little rough, lots of bobbles and the odd pause. blush

I've been recording for a while for posterity's sake. Thanks to Scorpio and Earlofmar for that suggestion.

Since I started working with an instructor, I actually started listening to my recordings shocked . It made me realize I wasn't getting pieces polished very well before moving on and that really showed when I tried to play in front of the teacher.

So I've been putting in more effort on polishing the pieces and making better recordings. There's still a big gap between how they sound and how I *want* them to sound. When I say "big gap", of course I mean "huge, gaping abyss" laugh

Last edited by ajames; 11/16/13 03:25 PM.

[Linked Image]
P
pwl Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
I like'em! Nice work.

A

A
Thanks pwl, you are very kind.

I had a talk with my teacher about where to go after Alfreds 1 and we decided that it would be good to continue with Alfreds 2. The music choices maybe aren't the greatest, but I don't find that a huge drawback. I like the steady progression the method books give.

[Linked Image]
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by ajames
So I've been putting in more effort on polishing the pieces and making better recordings. There's still a big gap between how they sound and how I *want* them to sound. When I say "big gap", of course I mean "huge, gaping abyss" laugh

Nice job. Yes, isn't it frustrating when we haven't obtained the technical ability to play how we want to play yet. Just worry about getting out of that particular Alfred's piece what they are teaching you at the time. That's what's important.

After looking and asking. I've decided to go with Alfred's II after I'm finished with this one. Partly because I understand many of the songs are the same. Just more sophisticated. More to learn. Then, my teacher told me that III should go to the original. Then, hopefully we have obtained the physiological skill to play as our hearts wish to play it.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by ajames

I had a talk with my teacher about where to go after Alfreds 1 and we decided that it would be good to continue with Alfreds 2. The music choices maybe aren't the greatest, but I don't find that a huge drawback. I like the steady progression the method books give.

Nice pieces you submitted - polished up pretty darn good I think. Glad you have decided to go onto book 2 there are some good pieces in there you will really enjoy.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A

A
Thanks much Ron, Earlofmar

Originally Posted by rnaple
Nice job. Yes, isn't it frustrating when we haven't obtained the technical ability to play how we want to play yet. Just worry about getting out of that particular Alfred's piece what they are teaching you at the time. That's what's important.

I'll probably never equal what I want it to sound like, but I wouldn't mind being a lot closer!

[Linked Image]
Page 281 of 452 1 2 279 280 281 282 283 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission