2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
31 members (Bett, Abdol, Fer15, almo82, dodgio, 11 invisible), 302 guests, and 389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Revival of Western Culture (In response to Playel Demise)
#2182583 11/14/13 11:44 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Warning - Long Post! But thought provoking!

I was typing a response to the Playel demise thread but I think this needs a topic of its own.

IMO the piano manufacturers and dealers are going about the "Demise" problem all wrong. The issue is not competition from slave labor countries, but a lack of overall interest from the general public in Piano playing in general... let alone an interest in classical music. I know, as a small business owner, one operates a business to make a profit. However there needs to be a paradigm shift in how to go about doing this and think more long term than "How can we compete with Pearl River or Yamaha!" panics all the time.

You can't compete for young people's interest or anyone's for that matter directly against modernism in the form of gadgets, quick fixes and the ease of a simply turning on an mp3 player to hear a piano sonata rather than spending ten years to learn to play. It's no contest when simply presented like that. When its looked at from that perspective the average person is going to inevitably choose the course of least resistance. So it has to be an issue of something greater and of much more value than this.

In other words there is a lack of Pride. Pride in our western culture. There needs to be a revival of western arts, literature and music.

For instance, my wife being Chinese and growing up in Indonesia, I have been able to learn quite a bit about a whole new world that she comes from and there is quite an effort, although accepting modernization, to preserve traditional ways there and in many other parts of the world. We went to a Traditional Chinese Performing arts show called "Shen Yun" and it was incredible. With all the efforts of the CCP in China to eradicate the history and culture, it amazing that this show is doing so well and so many millions of people around the world have been able to see a part of THAT culture so well preserved in that format. And guess what... its working. People love it.

So, although there is freedom to do that type of cultural show and preservation here in the West, for whatever reason, we don't do enough. We simply don't do enough to promote the very culture that gave birth to this incredible art-form of Classical music and the like. If it goes on like this our arts and culture will die out in a few more generations. Some extremists may want that but a larger number would not. It just an issue of knowing about the problem and waking up the larger group.

Once again I think its an issue of pride and there needs to be more of it and many of us, whether we are westerners or not, are only shown the mistakes and bigoted side of our history rather than our vast amounts of accomplished that I believe far outweigh our mistakes. Every society makes mistakes and it evolves intellectually into the modern era so we should be able to separate the accomplishments from the mistakes of any peoples and celebrate them.

Now enter the piano manufacturers and dealers:

I personally believe there needs to be a concerted effort on part of the manufacturers and dealers to take the lead in this cultural effort. Not necessarily preserve a particular company for sentimental reasons, but I think the individual companies would not be in as much trouble if there was more of an effort to make classical music not simply a musical CHOICE but a complete CULTURAL IMMERSION EXPERIENCE. Kids and adults alike need to and will see the tremendous benefit for the EXTRA EFFORT it takes to approach Classical Music like this but I believe it would be an investment that would return tenfold in potential customers wanting to learn.

This is not a one way street commentary BTW... I think traditional cultural values are fading in many cultures and there needs to be an examination why.

Also, I am not advocating the eradication of other types music I like most other types of modern music, even electronica. Once again its not about a musical choice but a cultural experience.

Last edited by Theodore Slutz; 11/15/13 12:32 AM.

Charles Walter Model W (190)

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin
Re: Revival of Western Culture (In response to Playel Demise)
Theodore Slutz #2182824 11/15/13 01:17 PM
M
M
Yes, as I mentioned in another thread, the huge volume being manufactured by China must have SOMETHING to do with the huge popularity of the piano as an instrument there!

Theodore Slutz #2182833 11/15/13 01:38 PM
Exactly. Kids today aren't interested in Piano. They could care less. The Previous generation (Baby Boomers etc.) cared far more about music and the arts. Literally, everyone had a piano back then. It was a source of 'entertainment.' There weren't any cell phones, computers, or Ipods, just a few channels on TV that broadcast at a Certain time. And Piano makers were rolling their instruments out by the hundreds of thousands. For Example: In the years between 1950 and 1960, Wurlitzer (The American Wurlitzer) alone manufactured about Two Hundred thousand pianos. People wanted Pianos. Today, people don't see pianos as 'entertaining.' It doesn't matter what type of music; classical, boogie woogie, ragtime.....most people today would prefer other music types. Let me take Modern Pop for example. Kids are too used to the computer sound. It's awful that they would prefer that to good piano music! Wonderful artists like Ray Charles, Beethoven, Vince Guaraldi, Pete Johnson, Liberace and so so many others are probably rolling around in their graves! >8(

1952 Wurlitzer 2150 Spinet...'The boogie-nator' laugh
Man, can it R-O-C-K! smile
Theodore Slutz #2182859 11/15/13 02:15 PM
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
FWIW

I estimate that there are 100,000 kids taking piano lessons in the SF Bay Area.

There are approx. 2,000 piano teachers.

But what do I know.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Theodore Slutz #2182878 11/15/13 02:48 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
We are a nation of shopkeepers. If "culture" does not generate profit for some corporation, it has no reason for being. Therefore, it will die.

Gary
Plowboy #2182881 11/15/13 02:53 PM
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Plowboy
We are a nation of shopkeepers. If "culture" does not generate profit for some corporation, it has no reason for being. Therefore, it will die.

You need to get professional help. I am quite serious.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Furtwangler #2182942 11/15/13 04:45 PM
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Originally Posted by Furtwangler
FWIW

But what do I know.

I will bet that 80% of those 100,000 kids are Asian

Last edited by VGrantano; 11/15/13 04:47 PM.
Theodore Slutz #2182948 11/15/13 04:50 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For me it's a simple matter of economics. The world is struggling financially. If a product doesnt generate the necessary revenue then it will considered a luxury. And then a non vital product. Not a priority. We can't afford that now, it should close.
Sad state of affairs but money is king unfortunately.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1

My Facebook Piano Group
VGrantano #2182970 11/15/13 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by VGrantano
Originally Posted by Furtwangler
FWIW

But what do I know.

I will bet that 80% of those 100,000 kids are Asian

..and of those 95% want to make sure you can teach their child to win the competition! It's not even about music more often than not. What do you end up with? I'm not sure but I've seen a few of these piano playing robots and it is almost painful to listen to. Why? For me it's simple, no joy. Makes me think how many of these kids will continue to play into adulthood and/or promote their children to do the same.

The main problem with the piano today is it takes to much effort to become reasonably proficient. Humankind is moving at a much faster pace these days.

Quid est veritas et mendacium, cum orbis terrarum.
WurliFan #2182991 11/15/13 05:52 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WurliFan
Exactly. Kids today aren't interested in Piano. They could care less. The Previous generation (Baby Boomers etc.) cared far more about music and the arts. Literally, everyone had a piano back then. It was a source of 'entertainment.'

Well my 9 year old daughter definitely cares. Even tho our house has never had a piano and we don't often have music playing she'd love it if I got a piano!
Whenever I take her in the music shop in town she has a little play on a piano. Just random note grabbing but its there. She's interested.
And I bet a lot more young uns would too if given the chance!
We mustn't give up on em!

Last edited by LarryShone; 11/15/13 05:53 PM.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1

My Facebook Piano Group

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Hypnotised by the piano?
by xlider - 11/25/20 12:17 AM
using shim of ivory for the lost tuning pin
by Maximillyan - 11/24/20 11:14 PM
Is Vermeer the most 'musical' of the great artists?
by bennevis - 11/24/20 07:23 PM
New DP under 3000 euros
by Pullman12 - 11/24/20 03:21 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,029
Posts3,026,841
Members99,363
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission