2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 319 of 341 1 2 317 318 319 320 321 340 341
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Hi, glad to see that this thread is alive an well. It's been a very long time since I posted. I recently had some time to actually practice straight ahead jazz... but lately when I play is I get this "been there, done that" feel. I guess It's hard to get inspired about playing.

Last edited by etcetra; 11/13/13 02:29 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
etc. I can't get to it. its telling me to log in.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Etcetera, you've got to put the share link instead...

Random thoughts ---

I haven't been getting much practice lately. At least not like before. And I miss many days of practice. But strangely enough, I get back on the instrument and I can see regular improvement still.

About the only thing different is that in my minds eye, I'm thinking of things I'd like to change and for whatever reason, it's happening without needing to practice it extensively. Of course, I'm still always gigging but that's not really practice.

Anyway, it's really interesting what's occurring. I'd rather get the practice of course but time isn't on my side right now.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

Last edited by etcetra; 11/13/13 02:26 AM.
T
T
Originally Posted by etcetra
sorry about that, here's the link

Autumn Leaves
https://app.box.com/s/mxwitop1rp4ushy55wue

Blues Block Chords
https://app.box.com/s/qcjk8xuxkvym1bekzinm

Had a listen. Is it me or is the keyboard player playing a hair fast on Autumn leaves and then a second slow on the Blues block. He is rushing and not playing in the pocket. It doesn't sound in sync, like the rhythm section is trying to catch up. If you guys are just an amateur band playing for fun then it's understandable. Keep at it.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I think part of the delay you are talking about may be coming from the program i am using (Ableton Live). I am putting abersold track on one track and playing keyboard(midi controller) on another track it on my computer, and I am noticing slowdowns/speedup as I play. sometimes it's very noticeable, other times it's hard to tell if it's me or if the tracks are really out of sync.

This one I did on the keyboard with the backing track from another audio source.
https://app.box.com/shared/n1l1scrx6n

and solo kb
https://app.box.com/files/0/f/0/1/f_390194336

Just to be clear, these are not live recordings with actual bands, they are just stuff I did while practicing at home with abersolds or backing tracks I've made.

Last edited by etcetra; 11/13/13 02:11 AM.
T
T
yah that could be it. didn't realize it was backing tracks. that's probably the "rushing" that I hear. it's not perfectly in sync. If I just listen to your playing and tap the beat then it's in time, but the bass does sound off.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by The Wind
yah that could be it. didn't realize it was backing tracks. that's probably the "rushing" that I hear. it's not perfectly in sync. If I just listen to your playing and tap the beat then it's in time, but the bass does sound off.

Hmm I've had this suspicion about tracks being out of sync.. I guess I'll have to use ditch the midi controller and go back to using keyboard from different audio source. I am glad I've put it to the test here. I also did sped up the backing tracks like 20 clicks too.

I guess I've gotten used to it, and told myself to just keep my own time playing(after all, it's the sort of stuff you've gotta do on gigs somtimes). Don't get me wrong, I do have problem with rhythm tendency to rush and I am doing a lot of rhythmic stuff during the "autmn leaves" solo, but at least while I was soloing, I was pretty sure of where I was rhythmically most of the time

anyways thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by etcetra; 11/13/13 02:08 AM.
T
T
are you playing with the backing track at the same time or just adding the audio in afterwards?

Cause if it's recorded together you'd be able to hear that something is off. I mean honestly I can barely listen to it. the backing track is not that good, I can't hear the drummer on the 2 and 4 and the bass notes aren't precisely on the beat. add in the delay of your playing and it's just grating.

the last track sunflower sounds much better rhythmically. you are playing with the drumbeat and it's clear where the accents are.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
are you playing with the backing track at the same time or just adding the audio in afterwards?

Cause if it's recorded together you'd be able to hear that something is off. I mean honestly I can barely listen to it. the backing track is not that good, I can't hear the drummer on the 2 and 4 and the bass notes aren't precisely on the beat. add in the delay of your playing and it's just grating.

the last track sunflower sounds much better rhythmically. you are playing with the drumbeat and it's clear where the accents are.

I used different methods for the two recording. Sunflower, I had the backing tracks on my computer and I recorded live with an actual keyboard, so there shouldn't be any problem there.

The out-of-sync-ness on other tracks seem to happen in different places. Sometimes I hear it while I am playing, sometimes it doesn't sound like a problem until I recorded the whole thing and play it back(so post-processing issue). I am not well-versed in these programs so chances are I am probably not doing it right.

anyways I am going to take down the recording. No point posting something when there is noticeable technical issues with it.

Last edited by etcetra; 11/13/13 02:27 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I haven't been getting much practice lately. At least not like before.

Between sitting at the computer scoring for bigband as well as symphonic wind orchestra and cooking dinner for my kids it's been not a gig or jam in sight. But I must that thanks to the Aebersold backing tracks I've managed to get some playing done. There's some excellent playing in the drums and bass!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I haven't been getting much practice lately. At least not like before.

Between sitting at the computer scoring for bigband as well as symphonic wind orchestra and cooking dinner for my kids it's been not a gig or jam in sight. But I must that thanks to the Aebersold backing tracks I've managed to get some playing done. There's some excellent playing in the drums and bass!

That's too bad. No regular Jam around you? I happen to run the jam so I'm guaranteed playtime at least twice a month smile Maybe you need to start the jam yourself.

My minimum live playing is at least 4x per month.

Well at least your brain is occupied with music so it's probably still good.

Now one unique thing is that I got a call for a solo piano gig. I haven't done those in awhile. However, informally, I always play solo piano as a warmup before the band starts so I suppose it's not much of a concern.

Even though I don't sit on a piano as long, I still do those 5 finger down exercises on a flat surface while I work. I do it constantly so it must help.

My Jazz Blog

T
T
hey wee, the solo gig sounds fun. I'm trying to get some lined up for the holiday season. Record the gig if you can and post some up.

T
T
For those of you with some time here's a cool Herbie Hancock interview I found. It is on Dutch TV.

He plays a a medley of Cantaloupe Island and Maiden V, and also Sonrisa at the end which I quite liked.

http://www.npo.nl/kunststof-tv/04-11-2012/NPS_1207712

T
T
Also, it's quite funny when the other guest, a Brazilian singer asks Herbie to do a duo record! He says no jokingly then yes of course. I"ll try to find the exact time when it happens.

T
T
Go to 19:00 for the funny exchange.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
hey wee, the solo gig sounds fun. I'm trying to get some lined up for the holiday season. Record the gig if you can and post some up.

LOL - probably not. The piano isn't likely to be tuned.

I'll do it on my own piano though. Actually I've been practicing solo piano the last few days just to see if I can do it. But I'm comfortable.

I haven't done a solo piano gig in 2 years I think. So I had to retrain my left hand to do those bass notes. LOL.

My Jazz Blog

T
T
New topic: Secondary Dominants and Left hand chords.

For some songs there's lots of 2-5-1 key changes. If you are playing solo piano what would your approach be for left hand chords?

Say the ballad "I Fall in Love too Easily". Key is C major. there are 2-5-1 in A-, E+, D-. I have just been using the standard chord playing the bass note. My brain can't think that fast of weird voicings that mesh well.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
If want to add chords between those that are written, I like the system one pianist taught me: to get to a target chord, you can add the big three before most chords:
1. The dominant of the target chord.
2. The tritone sub of the dominant, which is the dominant a half step up from the target chord.
3. A fully diminished chord a half step below the target chord. This is really a rootless dominant with a flat 9.

This system has worked well for me. I use 2 and 3 mostly.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
New topic: Secondary Dominants and Left hand chords.

For some songs there's lots of 2-5-1 key changes. If you are playing solo piano what would your approach be for left hand chords?

Say the ballad "I Fall in Love too Easily". Key is C major. there are 2-5-1 in A-, E+, D-. I have just been using the standard chord playing the bass note. My brain can't think that fast of weird voicings that mesh well.

Are you talking here of voicings? Subs? Or what to do with the LH?

Which I should ask anyway... What are you doing with the LH? Are you playing a stride style? Two-handed voicings? Occasional bass note + rootless? Walking bass?

My Jazz Blog

Page 319 of 341 1 2 317 318 319 320 321 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission