2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
35 members (Christopher90, Alex Hutor, AndrewJCW, Burkhard, Animisha, 0day, anotherscott, 6 invisible), 744 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
C
C
Uhm sorry to inform you Starr Keys, but I have never heard of a boxed version of Pianoteq 4.... it's only for download. It sound like you were ripped.

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, I would definitely get in touch with Amazon and Modartt (the Pianoteq developers) to confirm that the boxed version is legitimate.

Best of luck!
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
C
That's pretty funny. On Amazon it costs $129, so it's actually cheaper than the download from Moddart ($132.97).

Cheers,
Lenny

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FP-80, synths, guitars, mics, MBP, interfaces, Voicelive 2, ableton, Pianoteq, nubert a-200
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
Just received Pianoteq4. Haven't tried it yet but wanted it ready for when my VPC1 arrived next week. I paid the full price for the CD disc on Amazon but it arrived in the box unsealed and without shrink wrap. I'm concerned that it's used.

Opened software is generally not returnable, and I'm afraid to use it because, if there's anything wrong with it, I might not be able to return it. Its a European company so I'm wondering if maybe they do things differently. Can anyone tell me if their boxed CD of Pianoteq 4 arrived unsealed or unwrapped.

I purchased mine (both Pianoteq 4 + Bluethner add-on) online from the Modarrt /Pianoteq website. There is a serial number that will be provided and a download site/area.

I thought that due to the relatively small download size of the Pianoteq program file (20+ MB only) and given how fast DSL internet connections nowadays are, having a CD version would take relatively longer to deliver than a 10 minute download of the file (all though YMMV in terms of connection/download speeds) from Pianoteq/Modarrt website. However, I am not aware that a CD/boxed version actually exists.

PX-5S FA-06 LaunchKey 61 SL-MKII Graphite 49; VST: Pianoteq 6+Bluethner UVI TrueKeys EWQL-SO + Hollywood Strings/Brass, AAS GS-2+LL EP4 Sonokinetic; Mobile DAW ROG G751J: i7 4720 32GB RAM 250+500 GB SSD Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiQst_xQwNgKL_FS9OXSKw
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I will contact the company through their website and, if necessary, Amazon tomorrow.
Originally Posted by Cmin
Uhm sorry to inform you Starr Keys, but I have never heard of a boxed version of Pianoteq 4.... it's only for download. It sound like you were ripped.

Not necessarily. There is a number on a sticker in the box and it has occurred to me after hearing from all of you that there is no CD installation, that the CD may not be an installation disc but instructions on downloading from the PT website, since this may be a special packaging created for marketing the product on Amazon so Amazon doesn't have to be involved in the download process. If there's anyone else out there who has bought this through Amazon and can confirm this, it would be great to hear from you.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
It's only very small (about 20 Mega Bytes), so it probably is included on the CD as one 'track' along with instructions, demos etc. But since all of those things are available free online, what you paid for is the sticker with the number in it. No shrink wrap necessary. So you're probably OK. As others have remarked, you can always re-download the program from pianoteq.com , anyway.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by toddy
It's only very small (about 20 Mega Bytes), so it probably is included on the CD as one 'track' along with instructions, demos etc. But since all of those things are available free online, what you paid for is the sticker with the number in it. No shrink wrap necessary. So you're probably OK. As others have remarked, you can always re-download the program from pianoteq.com , anyway.

Thanks, Toddy smile

While I've got your and others' attention, does anyone have experience using PT with Widows 8 or 8.1? I wouldn't want to waste any of the 3 downloads or installations, and I thought I read that someone had latency issues using it with PT. (I would if possible like to use the computer that has W8 with the VPC1 as it is the smallest and has a stylus)

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Well, I can't help, I'm afraid, because I'm still using Windows 7 (64bit) - and quite happy to keep it for now. One of my computers (the one I use exclusively for music) would not work with Pianoteq's latest version but their excellent online help service suggested using an older version, which worked just fine.

Question: does the €99 euro Stage4 download include the e-pianos and Bluthner pianos? It appears not from what I can make of the info given, but the demo gives the whole range of instruments on an equal footing, as it were. (ie available with the download but disabled after 20 minutes trial).

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

This is an interesting thread. As it turns out, I bought Pianoteq Stage 4.5 ($129 US) this weekend, so I thought I might weigh in. I never bought earlier versions of Pianoteq because the sound was not close enough to a piano for me to suspend disbelief. In fact the earlier versions sounded like a perfect acoustic model of a Yamaha CP80 from 1975 to my ear. :-) I have to say that with version 4.5, the sound is close enough to a piano that I am not distracted by it when playing it. I don't mean to disrespect the sound, because getting this close just using mathematical formulas is a tremendous achievement, and they have my respect for that.

However, the strength of this instrument is not in the listening but is in the playing. It's latency is as low as a hardware instrument, so there is no lag. It has an automatic velocity mapping/calibration program that can also be infinitely tweaked manually. In fact, it is pretty clear that Pianoteq knows that the playing of their instrument is their money. All of the parameters are focused on making it play better versus simply sounding better. It particularly excels at dynamics. In fact it's micro dynamics are actually more exaggerated than an acoustic piano. So if one's priority is to work on things like voice leading, phrasing, nuance, etc., Pianoteq will reveal these efforts like a magnifying glass.

The best thing I can say about the sound is that it does ppp, pp, p and mp best. The louder you go, the more the artificiality of the overtones intrudes. I take it for what it is. I like what it does best, and I do my best to ignore the rest. I don't regret spending $129 on it. That being said, this thing is pretty darn expensive. At this point I'm unwilling to spend another $120 on the Blüthner and U4 pianos. That would be $249 total, and that's just using the Stage version. This pricing structure must be working for them, or they wouldn't be doing it. That being said, high-quality sampling software seems to be settling in at the $99 point for a single instrument, which is a really good value IMO. Take this opinion for what it's worth. There is never going to be a consensus on these type things. When you have a budget, you make your choices and hope for the best!

PS: You also get to try it before you buy it (unlike sampled pianos), so if you hate it, no worries and no money down the drain.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Pianoteq version 4 is really very good - and a unique product, of course. The Stage version is very good value. I just think the add-on pianos/ electric pianos etc are too expensive - €25 or so would have been nice. As it is, it's too expensive for me for now...

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
7notemode:

Thanks for weighing in on Pianoteq. In light of how much I have learned and how much pleasure I've received from your YouTube videos, I value your experience highly!

Last edited by pwl; 11/11/13 10:15 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Gigantoad

https://www.box.com/s/4c4706561e65284b0fba#/s/4c4706561e65284b0fba/1/306319516

Yeah, sounds great. It's on par with my alarm clock, which has a brilliant sound though so that's a compliment.

It's the first time in my life I listen Chopin's E min vals sounding like a vals...
(I've played it hundreds of times)

Last edited by Marcos Daniel; 11/11/13 10:41 PM.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
Originally Posted by 7notemode
This is an interesting thread. As it turns out, I bought Pianoteq Stage 4.5 ($129 US) this weekend, so I thought I might weigh in. I never bought earlier versions of Pianoteq because the sound was not close enough to a piano for me to suspend disbelief. In fact the earlier versions sounded like a perfect acoustic model of a Yamaha CP80 from 1975 to my ear. :-) I have to say that with version 4.5, the sound is close enough to a piano that I am not distracted by it when playing it. I don't mean to disrespect the sound, because getting this close just using mathematical formulas is a tremendous achievement, and they have my respect for that.

However, the strength of this instrument is not in the listening but is in the playing. It's latency is as low as a hardware instrument, so there is no lag. It has an automatic velocity mapping/calibration program that can also be infinitely tweaked manually. In fact, it is pretty clear that Pianoteq knows that the playing of their instrument is their money. All of the parameters are focused on making it play better versus simply sounding better. It particularly excels at dynamics. In fact it's micro dynamics are actually more exaggerated than an acoustic piano. So if one's priority is to work on things like voice leading, phrasing, nuance, etc., Pianoteq will reveal these efforts like a magnifying glass.

The best thing I can say about the sound is that it does ppp, pp, p and mp best. The louder you go, the more the artificiality of the overtones intrudes. I take it for what it is. I like what it does best, and I do my best to ignore the rest. I don't regret spending $129 on it. That being said, this thing is pretty darn expensive. At this point I'm unwilling to spend another $120 on the Blüthner and U4 pianos. That would be $249 total, and that's just using the Stage version. This pricing structure must be working for them, or they wouldn't be doing it. That being said, high-quality sampling software seems to be settling in at the $99 point for a single instrument, which is a really good value IMO. Take this opinion for what it's worth. There is never going to be a consensus on these type things. When you have a budget, you make your choices and hope for the best!

PS: You also get to try it before you buy it (unlike sampled pianos), so if you hate it, no worries and no money down the drain.

Totally agree.
Strength of Pianoteq is excellent playability. Nothing from sampled libraries I tried (Ivory, Galaxy D...) can match the feeling of total control over sound during playing. Long natural decay, resonances, pp to ff, ... all is there. More I am testing it more I like it. Don't just listen to demos on web, you really have to play it yourself before making any decision.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I bought Pianoteq Stage 4.5 ($129 US) this weekend, so I thought I might weigh in. I never bought earlier versions of Pianoteq because the sound was not close enough to a piano for me to suspend disbelief. In fact the earlier versions sounded like a perfect acoustic model of a Yamaha CP80 from 1975 to my ear. :-) I have to say that with version 4.5, the sound is close enough to a piano that I am not distracted by it when playing it.

Are you saving there is a significant improvement in the sound between 4 and 4.5.? Anyone know if you can upgrade for free from 4 to 4.5?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
And it records everything you play! So, if you co a good `un, it`s already saved. I believe you can convert it to wav too; How good`s that?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I always blend Pianoteq carefully with my onboard DP sound. Best of both worlds. BTW ; I cut the attack phase of PT and keep the decay and sustain phase , gradually coming in. This is where the ROM piano's fail and where PT shines. Takes some tweaking , but it's worth it. I'd like to see PT add real HQ attack samples in their next version to finally get a fully mature product. All the nice resonance effects and dynamics are there, but he initial phase is still (too) artificial and I am afraid will stay that way with modeling.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
"I always blend Pianoteq carefully with my onboard DP sound."

YES!!!! That`s the way to do it! (I don`t do the "carefully" bit)

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
I'd like to know if others agree with me.

Pianoteq sounds to me like a compressed recording does. This versus a recording that hasn't been compressed. My Ivory sounds more like an uncompressed recording.

I would like to add. I really like Pianoteq. Might even have said it earlier in this thread? I think it has a future that sampled piano's don't. It's very interesting.

Still, when I go back to my Ivory. I have to admit. It sounds better.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
I bought Pianoteq Stage 4.5 ($129 US) this weekend, so I thought I might weigh in. I never bought earlier versions of Pianoteq because the sound was not close enough to a piano for me to suspend disbelief. In fact the earlier versions sounded like a perfect acoustic model of a Yamaha CP80 from 1975 to my ear. :-) I have to say that with version 4.5, the sound is close enough to a piano that I am not distracted by it when playing it.

Are you saving there is a significant improvement in the sound between 4 and 4.5.? Anyone know if you can upgrade for free from 4 to 4.5?

The last version I tried was v3. I wasn't interested in it at all. v4.5 is better than that. To clarify, the current version is piano similar enough for me to enjoy playing it. I don't think it can compete with the sound of sampled pianos purely from a listening perspective.

Originally Posted by pwl
7notemode:

Thanks for weighing in on Pianoteq. In light of how much I have learned and how much pleasure I've received from your YouTube videos, I value your experience highly!

Thanks man.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/08/22 10:22 PM
OT-ish: what kind of Yamaha is this?
by ShiroKuro - 08/08/22 06:53 PM
Crack on soundboard
by phucahwa - 08/08/22 05:43 PM
Cage:Sonatas and Interludes
by pianoloverus - 08/08/22 05:31 PM
Bluetooth Pedal - page turner
by danno858 - 08/08/22 04:00 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,303
Posts3,214,910
Members106,036
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission