2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2178693 11/07/13 09:30 PM
J
JBenson Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have a Yamaha U3 (I think it's from the early-mid 80s), and it has what seems to be weird annoying overtones. A lack of clarity.

I'm wondering what could be causing that, and if it's fixable, or if that's just the nature of this piano.

I have seen the word "inharmonicity", and I sort of have a general idea what that is :), and I'm wondering if that could be the cause of this lack of clarity, or if it's more likely something mechanical, resonances in the cabinet or something.

Thanks for any info.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
For some strange reason, we can't seem to hear the "weird overtones" from where we are. laugh
Seriously, you need to talk to a technician who can listen to the piano and do something about it. It could be fixable, as it could be a lot of different things. Inharmonicity is not on the list of suspects.

JG
J
JBenson Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Supply
For some strange reason, we can't seem to hear the "weird overtones" from where we are. laugh
Seriously, you need to talk to a technician who can listen to the piano and do something about it. It could be fixable, as it could be a lot of different things. Inharmonicity is not on the list of suspects.

You can't hear it? I can hear it plain as day!

I just wanted to get a bead on what it could be. For example, I've been hunting around on the net, and found a thread discussing room acoustics and wooden floors. Someone was saying a wood floor can bring out the worst in a piano. This piano is on a wooden floor!

Could that be one of the suspects? What are the other suspects?

Thanks.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The most common suspect is tuning. After that is voicing.

Semipro Tech
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Geez, guys! We haven't even discussed the age related issues of dead bass strings, flat soundboards, and bizarre hammer shaping done in cheap 'refurbishments' seen in the occasional grey market pianos.

Heck! There's a host of things we can't possibly discern from our chairs while staring at a computer screen! Why limit the possibilities to tuning and voicing? Get with it, people!

Seriously? Get a tech. Talk to him/her. Jurgen is quite correct...typical.

Nodding,
Off,
I am,

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
B
BDB Offline
B
People are more likely to call a tech when they are assured that the problem that they are experiencing can usually be solved by nothing more than ordinary maintenance.

Semipro Tech
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Have the piano checked. That's first. Most concert pianos are placed on wooden floors so it can't be THAT bad, right? I have heard rooms that do create a sort of ring modulation effect but they're so echoey they'd be kind of hard to live in. You could check the floor by spreading every pillow in the house (even chair cushions) on the floor near the piano. You might even go so far as to rent some heavy moving blankets for twenty or so dollars and leave them in scrunchy bunches on the floor to see what effect that has. Why not flat? because in folds they'll "eat" more of the middle frequencies and not just the treble.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
M
M
Most concert pianos are placed on wooden floors so it can't be THAT bad, right?

I believe the U3 is an upright. Is it against a window? Windows can do strange things to the harmonics.

- Rick

Learning to play the piano, very happy with my 1907 Ivers Pond uprights, and ready to part with my Yamha C7 - not the sound I like.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission