2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 25 26
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Would like to add to this discussion, that I have the PX-5S and like it very much, at least through my Sennheiser HD380 Pro headphones. I had Yamaha P85 before and I don't understand why the P85 sounded better through it's internal 6W speakers, than the PX-5S sounds through the bigger 16W Creative standalone T40 speakers.

Assuming that you like the sound of the PX at least as much as the P85 when played through headphones, there are a number of reason why you could still find the PX disappointing though bigger, higher wattage speakers (even apart from the fact that there's no reason a company can't make bigger, higher powered speakers that sound awful, but I assume the T40 don't fall into that category). The enclosure the speakers are in can make a big difference; the efficiency of the chosen speakers can easily make 6 watts louder than 16; the wattage figures themselves may not have been measured the same way; the speaker placement can also make a difference in the sound and overall effect.

OP Offline
Need people to test a few things on this models:
  • Casio CDP-120
  • Yamaha P-35
  • Yamaha P-105
  • Yamaha DGX-650
  • Yamaha P-155
  • Korg SP170S
  • Korg SP280
  • Kawai ES100
  • Roland F-20

If you own or can test one of those models, please try to get the missing information.

In the main post I say what info is missing. If you can, please help.

If I could I would, but I just can't.

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

My project: Comparison of Portable Digital Pianos under 1000 US$

Owner of Kawai ES100
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
From a few posts earlier- speakers are VERY important to me- although I am fine playing a workstation through monitors I really enjoy having the sound come out of the piano itself.

I find the Korg SP280's to be fantastic- but I think it even sounds a little better through my Audio Technica ATM 50's.

I would agree the P105 is decent for built in speakers.

Although my P95 was not as clear, it was neat the way the sound came out above and below the piano

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
OP Offline
Is not the first time I hear that Korg SP280 speakers are excellent. I never try that model but looks like is true that model have great speakers.

Since you own that model, can you give me more info about it? My post about that model have many holes (no info). If you can help with that would be great.

Thanks

Long time piano player, with 7 years experience working in restaurants and doing gigs in random places.

Owner of Kawai ES100
C
C
I just recently tried the SP280. The speakers are loud, but sound was not necessarily great. Also beware the action is disappointing. Focus more on action and sound. You can always buy speakers that are WAY better than built in ones on any digital piano.

Kawai MP7
Yamaha CP4 (sold and happy it's gone)
Yamaha CP33 (sold and wish I never did)
Young Chang Y118 (sold)
--------------------
Gibson Acoustic J35
Guild Starfire IV
R
R
Youtube videos can only tell you so much, but when I was watching videos of Yamaha and Casio's various cheaper DPs, the PX-130 wound up being one of my favorites and it's cheaper than most of these.

Really want to try one in person.

OP Offline
Casio PX-130 is the previous version of the Casio PX-150. Almost in every way PX-150 improve over previous version, so if you like PX-130, then you would like PX-150 even better. Although your point about is cheaper is right. Is up to you if PX-150 improvements worth the extra money compare to PX-130.

If you try it in person, let us know your thoughts.

Owner of Kawai ES100
K
K
Hi,
I intend to buy a Casio PX-150, for practice purpose only (Piano keys action), and intend to connect it to Korg PA 600 (which has both Midi and USB ports) in order to use the sounds and styles of the Korg PA600 from the casio px150,
Does the Casio PX-150 support this?

It would be highly appreciated if someone could help on this matter,
Thanks

K
K
Dears,
Can I connect Casio PX-150 to a keyboard (Korg PA600) to play sounds of Korg Keybord from this Casio PX-150?

Thanks,

OP Offline
You can't because PX-150 have USB only. You need a real MIDI port

Owner of Kawai ES100
K
K
Thanks for the quick response ,
Also the Korg PA600 has 2 USB ports, type A and Type B, does it make any difference ?
What about the USB to MIDI cables?
Thanks,

OP Offline
problem with USB is drivers. are made for computers, as far i know. That is why professionals that connect devices use keyboard with real MIDI ports.

You can try connect two keyboard by USB but as far I know will not work.

Owner of Kawai ES100
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by khaledAF
the Korg PA600 has 2 USB ports, type A and Type B, does it make any difference ?

AFAIK, even with having the right port, the only keyboard that supports direct connection to another class-compliant keyboard over USB is the Kronos.

What about the USB to MIDI cables?

No, but a device like this should work: http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

It would be simpler and more foolproof to simply get a piano that has the correct connector in the first place. i.e. Casio PX-350, Yamaha P-35.

K
K
Kronos is my next step , I must practice for at least a year or so before investing in $4000 Kronos,
The problem with Yamaha is that it's over praised here (P105 = $900) and so on,
casio is less over priced (pX-150= $ 700),
All what I care about is the Piano action and MIDI connection,
Any suggestions please?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
The problem with Yamaha is that it's over praised here (P105 = $900) and so on,
casio is less over priced (pX-150= $ 700)

P105 has the same problem as the PX-150, no standard MIDI port. From Yamaha, you actually want the cheaper P35, how much would that be? About the lowest cost recent model that would work well would be the Casio CDP-100, but that's gotten scarce since they replaced it with the CDP-120 which doesn't have the MIDI jack. You could also check into the Korg SP-170, sometimes they seem to have gone pretty cheaply, don't know about where you are.

OP Offline
If you only care about piano action and MIDI connection for the less money I would suggest Yamaha P-35. Have same action as Yamaha P-105 and have real MIDI ports.

But as you may know, Casio have better key action feel so if that matters a lot to you, go for Casio PX-350, because is the cheapest Privia that have real MIDI ports.

Other option is like anotherscott suggest buying a converter: http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

Last option is Kawai ES100, but is maybe overkill for your purpose.

Owner of Kawai ES100
A
A
Just ordered the Roland F-20. Some say that the key action on the Kawai and Casio are better; but hopefully, the SNS for the Roland will compensate this shortcoming. Also, the wooden cabinet was probably the deciding factor for me.

Sure- I'll update when I get it.

Last edited by Alekhan; 11/27/13 02:56 PM.
OP Offline
When you get it, tell us what you think about it. Also, would be great if you can give some of the information missing about the Roland F-20 on the main page of this project.

Owner of Kawai ES100
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congrats on your sticky, Daniel!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by dewster
Congrats on your sticky, Daniel!

Thanks. Hope is at least a fraction of helpful as your DPBSD Project

Owner of Kawai ES100
Page 4 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission