2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,313 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hello,

Some of you know I have posted several questions since I am in the market for a piano. I truly have appreciated all the responses I have received.

I am really leaning towards purchasing a 2002 young chang Pramberger JP-48 48" Upright. However, the piano is located across the country in Orlando Florida. I live in San Diego, CA.

My first question is, should I be concerned that the humid to dry weather change will hurt my piano once it arrives?

My 2nd question is, I fell in love with a 2011 Albert Weber upright 48" piano (NOT the new Del Fandrich model) but it was out of my price range. I thought I read on the forums here that the Young Chang Pramberger was the same as the YC Platinum, and the YC Platinum was the same as the Albert Weber. So basically I figured that I am getting my dream piano for way less! Since I cannot test the piano out, just want to make sure at least that this info is correct, and that I can expect "for the most part" the same sound and feel.

Any help would be really appreciated!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I would be wary of buying a used piano sight unseen. Shipping that piano cross-country may not be an efficient use of funds. Why not apply the shipping costs to buying a better local piano?

Gary
J
OP Offline
J
Yeah I know what you mean. But this piano is hard to find and believe me, I wouldn't do it unless the total cost of shipping plus the price of the piano were less than half the cost of buying a new Albert Weber. I can't find a single used Albert Weber in the studio upright anywhere. I do trust the seller too and the pics look great. He said it has only been played a few times and it looks brand new. Thanks for your input though!

Do you think though that going from a very humid area in Florida, to a very dry area like Southern California could damage this type of piano?

T
T
Do you know if it was kept in an air conditioned environment or an open house environment? Maybe everyone that lives in Florida does so b/c they want to keep their windows open, not sure.

J
OP Offline
J
Haha... I guess I could ask. I'm assuming that it is air conditioned for the most part. But not sure. I lived in Florida for a while, and I tell you, it gets hot!!!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Jazzbite: Your post reminds of those who will buy some very old Steinway that they've never played because of the name except here you seem to want to buy a piano that you hope is similar to an Albert Weber upright. Unless you are not particularly fussy about the tone, you could be disappointed. Even worse, you might end up with a piano with serious problems unless it is inspected by an unbiased and qualified tech.

The seller's description of the piano's condition is not necessarily the condition the piano is in either due to lack of knowledge or due to a less than honest description. Even pictures can be misleading unless perhaps if they are very high quality and close up. I've seem photos of about to be rebuilt pianos whose cases look quite beautiful even though they haven't been refinished yet.

OTOH I'd guess many people buy new pianos that they haven't previously played, so some percent of buyers don't need to test drive a piano first.

If you dislike the tone or touch or even if you like it "somewhat", then you're stuck with a piano you don't particularly care for. Only you can decide if the possible reward justifies the potential risk/downside.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/07/13 05:53 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
After testing lots of pianos before buying one, I will NEVER recommend someone to buy a piano untested...but thats just me. smile

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Most pianos look great in pictures.

T
T
You could always see if someone around here knows a tech in the area that you could hire to give it a look over.

J
OP Offline
J
Ok you guyz win. There is another pramberger in this side of the country that is selling for more and is a year older, but I will have to go check that one out.

What about my question though about whether the Pramberger JP-48 is identical to the Albert Weber 48" upright? Any Young Chang reps out there?

Also what do you guyz think is a good used price for a 2002 Pramberger JP-48?

T
T

Last edited by Troy 125; 11/07/13 06:56 PM.
J
OP Offline
J
Looks like that YCA rep has got a backlog of questions!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"... I do trust the seller too..."

On what basis, Jazzbite?

"...and the pics look great..."

That would be fine if you were buying a picture.

"...He said it has only been played a few times and it looks brand new..."

"Played a few times since 2002" is not a sign of a person who has liked his piano at all, nor provided care for it (which even new and seldom-played pianos need, too). OR, it could simply be untrue, or some shade of half-truth. Sellers of used pianos often have badly failing memories, which a pre-purchase tech inspection could refresh... but you didn't tell us what the tech said. Never never never make this dreadful mistake when buying a used piano. http://ptg.org can refer you to a local tech.

"...Do you think though that going from a very humid area in Florida, to a very dry area like Southern California could damage this type of piano?...?

Yes.

Save up some more, Jazzbite; do some reading and some patient, persistent first-hand research; make friends with a good, local piano tech; get the word out with local piano stores about what you are looking for. If you really have to get a piano from someplace far away, there is Los Angeles--- surely the market there is wide enough for you to find your dream piano.

Good luck to you, JB. Sorry, but this purchase does not sound lucky to me.

Clef

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I assume you're buying over eBay? I wonder if their Money Back Guarantee covers pianos.

http://ebay.com/coverage/

J
OP Offline
J
Yeah i found it on ebay. I too wondered whether it would be covered under the ebay protection.

Clef. The reason i trusted the seller was because he has a bunch of ebay reviews...all positive.

Oh well. I am now anxious to try out the pramberger around here. I assumed that it would sound and feel roughly the same as the albert weber, but now you all have me worried! I thought they were supposed to be the same design but we shall see.....

If anyone has a used albert weber upright that they can offer me a good price on, please let me know. As far as what i mean by good price, i was offered a brand new 48" albert weber upright for $5500 out the door a couple of years ago but turned it down as too expensive. This ebay one would have cost around $2200 out the door shipping and everything. Get the word out folks!

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Is this the Pramberger with the desk that pulls out at the bottom? And the top that hinges at the left, grand piano style? If so I have this piano. 3 years ago I paid $4500 for a NOS 2005. If you do make it up to L.A. you're welcome to come and play mine as a comparison to any others that you try. Heck, come and play mine and decide if you still want to focus so much on this piano.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
J
OP Offline
J
Kurt,

That sounds awesome! My wife has been really dead set against the Pramberger b/c she also loved the Albert Weber and I've been trying to convince her that according to these posts in pianoforums that they are the same. Yes, this is the one that has the front music rack that pulls out to release the sound from the front. I'm definitely going to take you up on your offer.

How are you liking your Pramberger? Is it really a poor man's Steinway?

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission