2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What does this Zander guy do?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Because, there is no wall, there is no difference, in terms of compositional technique. The performances of popular music today employ the exact same compositional techniques of past centuries.
Huh?

Can you explain that a little better, please? Cause I seem to be missing the common sense point in the above...

As pointed out by Tim Adrianson's comment on Pogorelich's recording of the Chopin Nocturen Op.62. No.2 that Carey posted, he plays in "a dramatic, operatic bel canto aria style."

If that isn't the popular music of the last 45 years, then my ears deceive me. Further, the emphasis is on rhythmic effect more than on rhythmic accuracy.

That is why the performance practices of the 19th century were way more popular than the same music played today.

In terms of 17th and 18th century techniques, when one listens to a rock song on the radio, the voices are over-dubbed to the nth degree. The resulting effect is to create a chorus of voices, which is exactly what was common back then.

Melody + rhythm + vocal harmonies/spreading chords = Popular music, and the classical music of old.

Why don't you build a time machine and go back to the 19th century, Mr. Podesta? You'd be happy, and so would we.

Regards,

Polyphonist
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by JoelW
What does this Zander guy do?

And maybe you too could benefit from Mr. Google! laugh

Seriously, he's conductor of the Boston Philharmonic, and taught at the New England Conservatory for 45 years. He was trained as a cellist, so his skills as a pianist leave something to be desired. He was fired from the NEC in 2012, and there's plenty of internet material on that subject. (Don't want to hijack the thread any more than it already has been).

Anyway, he believes that everyone can enjoy classical music, and that is a position I've held my entire life. So I'm sold on the guy.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Because, there is no wall, there is no difference, in terms of compositional technique. The performances of popular music today employ the exact same compositional techniques of past centuries.
Huh?

Can you explain that a little better, please? Cause I seem to be missing the common sense point in the above...

As pointed out by Tim Adrianson's comment on Pogorelich's recording of the Chopin Nocturen Op.62. No.2 that Carey posted, he plays in "a dramatic, operatic bel canto aria style."

If that isn't the popular music of the last 45 years, then my ears deceive me. Further, the emphasis is on rhythmic effect more than on rhythmic accuracy.

That is why the performance practices of the 19th century were way more popular than the same music played today.

In terms of 17th and 18th century techniques, when one listens to a rock song on the radio, the voices are over-dubbed to the nth degree. The resulting effect is to create a chorus of voices, which is exactly what was common back then.

Melody + rhythm + vocal harmonies/spreading chords = Popular music, and the classical music of old.
hmmm... I find it quite hard to agree on such a general comment.

Plus you've left out, so much in pop music, and certainly contemporary classical music that it's almost not worth posting about it (though here's the post! grin)...

Oh well... Thanks for explaining your comment. It still doesn't make logical sense (due to lack of any factual info), but at least it explains why you said what you did.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Zander: The "why go for 5%, when there's 100%"? right?

I'm also sold, used his videos on lessons and generally love his ideas! smile

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O

Yep, that's the guy. He says in the video (see link above) that many in the classical world are content to bump up the number of classical music fans from 3% to 4%. But as you point out, his thesis is: Why stop there? What's wrong with 100%? I couldn't agree more.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you want to get anyone into classical, show them the Nutcracker first. If they don't bite, leave it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Old Man

Yep, that's the guy. He says in the video (see link above) that many in the classical world are content to bump up the number of classical music fans from 3% to 4%. But as you point out, his thesis is: Why stop there? What's wrong with 100%? I couldn't agree more.
while I wasn't aware of him or his videos (in Ted academy) back when I was planning things, this is the very reason and hope of EMF!

I want worthy contemporary concert hall music in every home. People listening to it, kids performing it, etc... I really do! smile

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
If you want to get anyone into classical, show them the Nutcracker first. If they don't bite, leave it.

I agree that Tchaikovsky is the most accessible composer to those who are unfamiliar with classical, but have an interest in hearing it. But I don't think the Nutcracker can hold a candle to Swan Lake. Maybe that's because I OD'd on the Nutcracker decades ago. No more.

Then again, my oldest son immediately gravitated towards Mozart and no one else. Go figure.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

The first thing we have to do is change the name "classical music".

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Um... I'd like to make a point that, well, 100% of people loving classical is, how should I put this... impossible. *gasp* Not even 100% of people are passionate about music. I mean, many people would listen to the Nutcracker... and say they enjoyed it and that it was very pretty a nice, um... but little would actually experience a strong interest in furthering their listening. *sigh* People who are meant to love classical, or any type of music, will be gravitated to it by the sheer joy it gives them. laugh People who truly have the potential to LOVE classical music are self-driven, just like any passion in life. laugh

Xoxo

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
What's wrong with ClaSICKal music? wink Or BaROCK? ROCKocco, RomANTI...Roman....BaROCK! laugh

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425

The first thing we have to do is change the name "classical music".
Jason,

AS you may've noticed I keep using the term 'concert hall music'. I don't like 'classical music' any more than you do, though I do find its use necessary from time to time.

Um... I'd like to make a point that, well, 100% of people loving classical is, how should I put this... impossible. *gasp* Not even 100% of people are passionate about music. I mean, many people would listen to the Nutcracker... and say they enjoyed it and that it was very pretty a nice, um... but little would actually experience a strong interest in furthering their listening. *sigh* People who are meant to love classical, or any type of music, will be gravitated to it by the sheer joy it gives them. laugh People who truly have the potential to LOVE classical music are self-driven, just like any passion in life. laugh

Xoxo
Joel,

first of all: LOL! ^_^

Now,

Thing is that, from what I've found out recently attempting to reach 1000 people (for example) will yield 100 sales (at the utmost positive outcome).

If you are chasing your believed goal of 3-4%, you'll get eventually 1% if that.

So I prefer to go to everyone and hope for the best. We'll never get 100%, but at least we'll give it a go! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Joel,

first of all: LOL! ^_^

I hope FSO doesn't take it the wrong way. I've just always wanted to try writing like her. grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I have a feeling that she won't! smile Don't worry...

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O

I'd like to make a point that 100% of people loving classical is impossible because not even 100% of people passionate about music. Many people would listen to the Nutcracker and say they enjoyed it and that it was very pretty a nice, but little would actually experience a strong interest in furthering their listening. People who are meant to love classical, or any type of music, will be gravitated to it by the sheer joy it gives them. People who truly have the potential to LOVE classical music are self-driven, just like any passion in life. Every passion is self-driven.

Of course 100% is impossible. That's not his point. What he's saying is that 100% are capable of loving classical music, not that they will.

I think he's trying to disabuse people of the notion that loving classical music requires some special sort of deep and profound knowledge, or at least a superior intellect. And I'm sure there are many who would love to maintain this myth because it helps to discourage the riffraff from sneaking in under the fence. But it's a load of BS.

IMO, assuming you weren't born deaf, a pair of functioning ears is all that's required. And time. Classical works are longer than the average pop tune on the radio, and are more intricate in their structure (many more notes), so repeated listening of the same work is essential. That's the "self driven" part that you mention.

But you can't be "self driven" if you've not had a proper introduction. That's like asking a tree to be "self driven". The seed must be planted first. And those of us who love classical music and want to share the experience should be planting as many seeds as possible.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Old Man
I'd like to make a point that 100% of people loving classical is impossible because not even 100% of people passionate about music. Many people would listen to the Nutcracker and say they enjoyed it and that it was very pretty a nice, but little would actually experience a strong interest in furthering their listening. People who are meant to love classical, or any type of music, will be gravitated to it by the sheer joy it gives them. People who truly have the potential to LOVE classical music are self-driven, just like any passion in life. Every passion is self-driven.

Of course 100% is impossible. That's not his point. What he's saying is that 100% are capable of loving classical music, not that they will.

I disagree. Many people don't love any music. Look, a lot of guys are passionate about sports, but I am not and I never will be, no matter how much I am submerged in it. Some people are that way about music, or cars, or anything.

repeated listening of the same work is essential. That's the "self driven" part that you mention.

Not all of it.

But you can't be "self driven" if you've not had a proper introduction. That's like asking a tree to be "self driven". The seed must be planted first. And those of us who love classical music and want to share the experience should be planting as many seeds as possible.

Define proper introduction? My "proper introduction" was a little electric keyboard with preloaded watered-down classical pieces.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Well I'm mortally offended, thank you very much frown But in just which of my sob corners should I relieve my burgeoning eyes? Pfft, it was a lovely attempt and, whilst of course there were always going to be discrepancies, um, it was far from a bad one laugh As an imitation it's heavily flawed but, um, that's not what you were going for, of course; as an *interpretation* it's wonderful. Thank you Joel, you made me smile smile Xoxo....so *you're* GossipGirl...I always wondered... laugh For *once* I pretty much agree with you too, so that's nice ^_^ Although, I must admit, "impossible" is a touch far; perhaps implausible...nah, just terribly improbable, but still possible. I mean, the word "genocide" has gotten a lot of bad press over the years but...I don't know...Bach's *really* good (and so's his music wink ) and there must be *something* evil in someone who can't see that...I don't know...certainly there *are* [presently wink ] people who don't care for music at all....just...let alone Classical music or concert hall music or aequus music or whatever you want to call it, but some people don't like music and prefer silence....pretty much the antithesis to the denizens of this forums hall, surely, but they're there...waiting....quietly... laugh
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
FSO: I really hope you weren't offended... I found it funny and hope that you did as well...

Joel: I detest the idea that classical music (<-hehe! There! I used the term) is for the few... I understand that some things may need some "training" (notice the ""), but none the less music is a universal language and I can't see why can't a 15 year old love Lady Gagy, Miley and Schnittke as well...

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
FSO: I really hope you weren't offended... I found it funny and hope that you did as well...

Joel: I detest the idea that classical music (<-hehe! There! I used the term) is for the few... I understand that some things may need some "training" (notice the ""), but none the less music is a universal language and I can't see why can't a 15 year old love Lady Gagy, Miley and Schnittke as well...

She was just kidding about being mortally offended. She liked my attempt. (I think grin)

About the 15 year old girl... I think that perhaps music is a bit like math in this context. I know, I know... but let me explain. Everybody, I mean EVERYONE knows how to do simple addition. Less people know how to do long algebra, and even less people know how to do calculus. Basic addition represents pop music. Algebra represents slightly more complex, more respectable music, and calculus represents... Schoenberg. grin

My point is that everyone has a limit to their musical understanding, and to break past that limit, one needs to exercise in that area, then it will gradually become easier to listen to/understand/enjoy. I do not get any musical satisfaction out of Schoenberg, probably because I just don't understand it. The 15 year old girl probably doesn't get any satisfaction out of Mozart because she doesn't understand it, and probably never will because she's not interested in it enough to EXERCISE her listening. She doesn't love music enough to explore past the easy stuff -- in the same way that mathematics doesn't interest me enough to learn calculus.

Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission