2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Did anyone else hear Schiff tonight in the Stern Auditorium at Carnegie Hall? It was quite a unique concert. He played the Bach Goldbergs in the first half, and the Beethoven Diabellis in the second half, and then the entire second movement of the Beethoven Opus 111 for an encore. I never imagined I'd hear anyone play that for an encore. grin The whole thing lasted over three hours.

Regards,

Polyphonist
R
R
He was here in Toronto on Sunday and it was a great concert. Very long but enjoyable. I am not entirely in love with his interpretation of the Goldberg variations. I preferred his Beethoven.

Someone was coughing quite a bit and he told them to be quiet mid-playing...which I also read happened in Boston a few days earlier lol.

If they cut off both hands, I will compose music anyway holding the pen in my teeth. - Shostakovich
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by RaindropPrelude
Someone was coughing quite a bit and he told them to be quiet mid-playing...which I also read happened in Boston a few days earlier lol.

I wish he had done that in this concert. It was a coughing concert with background piano music. grin

I agree that his Beethoven is better. His interpretation of the Bach bored me a little.

Regards,

Polyphonist
P
P
He was here in Seattle @ Benaroya in October, and he played Beethoven Op. 109 as an encore. So, I guess he sees no problem with that!
It was a great concert; he played just the Goldberg Variations, and then the Beethoven as an encore.
No Diabelli, though. frown

Everyday is a great day.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
He played the exact same programme in Ann Arbor a few weeks ago. It was truly a marathon for both performer and audience. His Goldbergs were spectacular. The Beethoven, too, was excellent, but I, personally, think it a bit too much on the other side of the Bach for most audiences (but then, Hill audiences aren't most audiences).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Yes, I was there, it was quite an amazing concert. I also agree that the Goldbergs were not as compelling. But the Diabellis were incredible, and when he sat down after the ovation and I heard the first chords of the Arietta, I couldn't believe my ears! What a night!

BTW, last week he did another marathon, playing all six Bach partitas. It was quite an amazing performance! (also about 3 hours, but he "only" did the two-part invention in C as an encore)

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
I wanted to go to that one too, but couldn't make it. How was it?

Regards,

Polyphonist
B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
He did all the repeats in both pieces? Ouch.

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Yes. I hate to say this, but I wish he hadn't. Maybe with a better pianist. grin
Especially in the Bach. Some of it was agony.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I don't like Schiff.

B
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
Yes. I hate to say this, but I wish he hadn't. Maybe with a better pianist. grin

Ugh. Unless you're doing some serious improv/ornamentation/revoicing on the repeats, that's the most tedious program imaginable.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I love Schiff and would have loved to have seen that concert!! That's quite a concert, though...

One of my friends recently saw him perform that program somewhere else, and they had nothing but great things to say.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I grew up with Schiff's recording of the Goldberg Variations. With all the repeats. I remember occasional differences in the repeats: an extra turn in the repeats of the first variation; an octave higher in the repeats of another variation; an octave lower in the repeats of another.

Listening to variation 25, at glacial pace with all its repeats, was an astonishing experience for 16-year-old me. Agonizing, in the good sense of the word. I wish I'd been at the concert.

-Jason

I wanted to go to that one too, but couldn't make it. How was it?

It was really great I thought. A lot of color and variations in the ornamentation and just really nice flow. Quite an achievement for such a long program.

I didn't feel the same yesterday with the Goldbergs.... I also did not appreciate his fast tempo in 2 of the minor key variations, I tend to prefer a slower pace there to better sense the tension. However, to compensate for this I would have avoided at least a fair number of repeats of course (I'm sure he has his reasons though). Oh well, but you cannot help but greatly admire someone who can pull that kind of a performance, it was kind of epic!

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by stores
He played the exact same programme in Ann Arbor a few weeks ago. It was truly a marathon for both performer and audience. His Goldbergs were spectacular. The Beethoven, too, was excellent, but I, personally, think it a bit too much on the other side of the Bach for most audiences (but then, Hill audiences aren't most audiences).

Any chance we'll ever hear YOUR Goldbergs?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Did anyone else hear Schiff tonight in the Stern Auditorium at Carnegie Hall? It was quite a unique concert. He played the Bach Goldbergs in the first half, and the Beethoven Diabellis in the second half, and then the entire second movement of the Beethoven Opus 111 for an encore. I never imagined I'd hear anyone play that for an encore. grin The whole thing lasted over three hours.

Back in the mid 1970's Lenny Bernstein gave and interview wherein he said recital performance, in regards general audiences, was dead. What he didn't say was why.

This concert by Schiff is the reason why. There is no way in Hades that a general audience is going to be able to relate to a program like this.

You darn sure didn't see Horowitz or even Earl Wild do anything like this, and both of these gentleman had at least 8 hours of stuff ready at one time. And, so did de Larrocha.

Myra Hess is the one who started this garbage when she went on tour and played all three of the late Beethoven Sonatas. One of my coaches attended one of these performances, and she and her doctor took her an hour during intermission to get her in shape to come back out and finish the program.

I went to an Arrau recital in Austin in 1974, where he played the Op. 111 the first half, and the Schumann Symphonic Etudes in the second. After he finished, everyone just politely got up and walked out.

A former classmate of mine, who got his DMA at Juilliard, gave a recital in Dallas where he played all of the Transcendental Etudes in the first half, and then the Gaspar in the second. When he finished, all of the little old ladies just sat there and stared at each other.

So, when the music conservatories quit dictating this super human standard of performance, which an average audience cannot relate to, then maybe classical piano performance will arise from its now death bed.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Louis Podesta
[...]Back in the mid 1970's Lenny Bernstein gave and interview wherein he said recital performance, in regards general audiences, was dead. What he didn't say was why.

This concert by Schiff is the reason why. There is no way in Hades that a general audience is going to be able to relate to a program like this.[...]

The contents of current concert/recital programs is not a closely guarded secret; everyone going to a concert these days knows what the contents will be. If a "general audience" doesn't like this program, then the audience won't be made of up "generals!"

Secondly, Mr. Podesta seems to suggest that in order to attract an audience, the program has to be "dumbed down" to such a degree that it will please everyone, even those who know nothing about music.

Every where you look, not just in the arts, "dumbing down" is the order of the day; no wonder so many (young) people can't think for themselves, write a coherent paragraph or enjoy reading literature.

Where will it end?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
My guess is that the Schiff recital was extremely well attended. In fact, if this wasn't the case, Schiff's managers would probably strongly object to the program that was probably played at many venues. If every pianist gave a program as serious(lacking shorter Romantic works or composed only of long pieces) as the one by Schiff that might be problem, but this does not occur. I've heard plenty of recitals at Carnegie that were well attended, even sold out, that were very serious in terms of programming.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/06/13 09:55 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
I don't like Schiff.

But then you don't really have a clue.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

A better pianist? Are you on drugs? You will find very few pianists who play Bach as well. If you're going to play the Goldbergs, you play the repeats. If you play the Beethoven, you play the repeats. If not, don't bother. Perhaps, you should have stayed home.

♪ ≠ $

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission