2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn

Hunky, are you serious? Tell us you're kidding, please.

How many other recordings will you make to pander to or satisfy the personal preferences (no matter how arbitrary they are) of others who will be participating/listening, and who are equally serious about their music and appreciation of it? How about a harpsichord recording of your piece in a bat cave during a thunderstorm for those of us who like the weirder stuff?

Do you really, honestly believe that anyone can tell the difference between an acoustic and a good digital (given enough random test samples), except by a lucky guess?

You were pulling our legs, right?

I don't understand why are you attacking Mr Super-Hunky for doing me a favour. And indirectly attaching me.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that people listening seriously to the ABF recordings can tell the difference between a digital and an acoustic recording.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Wouter, I`ve just seen what you`re doin` in the recital! A big fave of mine; I couldn`t do that piano solo to save my life.

Now, how ya gonna get THAT piano sound? grin Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I didn't save my contact ID for the submission because I usually get an e-mail that contains the number in it. Only I didn't get that e-mail this time. Now, I want to edit my piece description. The Adagio is the 2nd movement in the Beethoven Piano Sonata, not the 3rd!! Duh!!!!!!

Is there any way I can get back in?

1918 Mason & Hamlin BB
1906 Mason & Hamlin Es
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dynamobt
I didn't save my contact ID for the submission because I usually get an e-mail that contains the number in it. Only I didn't get that e-mail this time. Now, I want to edit my piece description. The Adagio is the 2nd movement in the Beethoven Piano Sonata, not the 3rd!! Duh!!!!!!

Is there any way I can get back in?

I sent you the magic code in a PM. Of course, you must guard that 20 digit hexadecimal number with your life - can't have someone else editing your submission!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by peterws
Wouter, I`ve just seen what you`re doin` in the recital! A big fave of mine; I couldn`t do that piano solo to save my life.

Now, how ya gonna get THAT piano sound? grin Have fun!

Thanks! Now I'd love to hear what you think about THAT piano sound after listening very carefully to my version. I'm talking about the dynamics, timbre, and phrasing. It is quite hard to hear THAT piano sound separated from the rest of the band, particularly from the bass player who is 'boosting' the bass notes. But if you can hear THAT piano in isolation, I really like to hear what you hear :-)

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
THAT could be difficult! But I see what ya mean! You can get away with a lot when you have "Band-Aid"

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky

Wouter, if you are literally skipping my performances due to the dislike of the sound of digitals, then I will literally make a separate acoustic recording just for you. I don't mind doing this because I have observed over time that you are serious about your music and appreciation for it. It shows in your own personal performances and your attention to detail.

Hunky, are you serious? Tell us you're kidding, please.

Trapper I'm serious. Wouter puts a lot of time and effort into his performances as well as takes time to do a thorough review of anyone's performance who asks. At first I thought Wouter was a typical forum troll (remember the whole "what do you do about a problem named Maria thing?") but he has since proven himself to be serious about his piano studies as well as the comments he gives others.

For some reason, he cannot stand the sound of digital pianos. I personally have absolutely no preference as I've stated many times that it is the melody that pops my cork, not any particular sound signature. But that doesn't mean he should be forced to listen to it. Just like I shouldn't be forced to eat liver if I don't like it but everyone else does.

How many other recordings will you make to pander to or satisfy the personal preferences (no matter how arbitrary they are) of others who will be participating/listening, and who are equally serious about their music and appreciation of it?

Six. I will make up to six custom (random or arbitrary) recordings for others who request them. After that I will charge money and then nobody else will want one so six is obviously the correct number.

How about a harpsichord recording of your piece in a bat cave during a thunderstorm for those of us who like the weirder stuff?

Okay, I'll do it. My digital does have a harpsichord setting and dipping my toes in bat guano whilst performing a sensual moving piece does sound like a party. How freaky do you want this thing to get? I've got access to farm animals and know a few strippers who need some cash. Let's not hold anything back this time as I'm also feeling mavericky!

Do you really, honestly believe that anyone can tell the difference between an acoustic and a good digital (given enough random test samples), except by a lucky guess?

Yes, and no. Just depends on your level of acuity. I will say that I do have a very good digital and a very good acoustic and I NEVER confuse the two. Having said that, I purposely chose to record my next recital piece on the digital because I just could not get the acoustics right on the acoustic with this piece.

You were pulling our legs, right?

No, that was Peyton. He pulls legs to the right. He's a known right leg puller. Everyone knows I only pull arms and always to the left. Never to the right.

Last edited by Mr Super-Hunky; 11/06/13 12:08 AM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
laugh laugh laugh

First I listened to an old Jack Benny show someone over in the Piano Forum linked to, and now this. It's been a good 3/4 hour smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
W
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
W
Six. I will make up to six custom (random or arbitrary) recordings for others who request them. After that I will charge money and then nobody else will want one so six is obviously the correct number.

Blonde wig, man-kini, shiny gold pumps. Toss your wig hair... just... so. Yeeessss.

Digital or acoustic, your preference.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I can only do the recording this week-end, but I follow with interest the list of pieces already submitted.

I noticed that Anne H sent the "Canzone popolare (France, 1500 ca.)" (Ludovico Einaudi). I remember how this piece is sweet and it reminded me that I have not yet written the version I made last year... crazy
And Monica sent the "Waterways" by Einaudi - I suppose... - Is this YOUR version, Monica?

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

How about a harpsichord recording of your piece in a bat cave during a thunderstorm for those of us who like the weirder stuff?

Okay, I'll do it. My digital does have a harpsichord setting and dipping my toes in bat guano whilst performing a sensual moving piece does sound like a party. How freaky do you want this thing to get? I've got access to farm animals and know a few strippers who need some cash. Let's not hold anything back this time as I'm also feeling mavericky!

No, that's no good - we can't accept digital simulations - it must be a real harpsichord (wouter isn't the only one with arbitrary preferences!) - you'll have to rent one and haul it to the cave and drag it in there, but be sure to clean it well before returning to the store...

And how is it that you know a few strippers? Play piano for them in the clubs in your wild, impetuous youth? You rascal you...

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
And Monica sent the "Waterways" by Einaudi - I suppose... - Is this YOUR version, Monica?

Not this time, Carlos. I love the intro to Waterways that he plays on the iTunes Festival version, but I didn't have the time to work out by ear what he was doing. So my version is true to the sheet music, except for a couple of chords that I had to rewrite because his hands are WAAAAYYYYY bigger than mine!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I'm in. This might be about as early as I have been. I was trying something a little different and I thought it would take me longer but I recorded it today and it came out ok and I didn't have to staple any comforter to the wall or anything. So I'm in.

I think this piece is written for 3 hands, at least I can't get these 2 old hands to play all the notes. It may actually just be written for Garage Band or something like that where you don't need any hands at all. So I recorded it then recorded over it with the 3rd hand.

Anyway I'm in, good luck with the red dot.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I didn't think I was going to be able to bring it all together and had all but resolved to give this recital a miss. However after a couple of intense sessions and a severe lowering of my standards I have uploaded my submission. In at 29 with a bullet, feel like celebrating.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations earlofmar, what a feat to learn an entire sonatina!

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well, earlofmar, I think you should celebrate. And then come back and edit your submission comments (which won't change your submission place) and tell us what you did.

If it's tellable, of course smile

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Bump

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm still struggling to get a decent recording - spent an hour today at it - but it's good practice...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mine's in! Amazingly, I got two good recordings in one sitting. The difficult part was trying to decide which one to use. That's a first for me. Relaxing now, and looking forward to enjoying everyone's playing in another week.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Congratulations, MaryBee. I just got mine set up for recording, and am warming up. So we'll see in awhile!

Cathy

Cathy
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission