2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2177375 11/05/13 08:36 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi there,

I am a beginner and i would like to get a piano for beginners. I do not want a mechanical one.
I would like to be able to use the piano with my Mac OSX and the ipad. I also would like to have the keys that can light up.

I also do not really realize what 'options' are good to get...

Please could you advise me on a cheap piano.

Thanks

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not sure if I understand what you mean. You want a keyboard with keys that can light up, but don't want a "mechanical one." To make the keys of a keyboard able to light up, requires a certain mechanical system, that consists of small light diodes, probably LED, behind the plastic (usually) keys and the the diodes are connected to an internal light switch in each key, which is turned on if the keys are pressed.

So you can't possibly have a keyboard with lit up keys, that is not mechanical. Unless you mean that the keyboard may not sound mechanical. Which could be hard to find, as the keyboards with this light up option, are usually among the cheaper ones.

I actually had one of those a few years back, Yamaha EZ220 is the name and model number. I got rid of it when I found out it wasn't useful at all. I quickly discovered I needed better action, that is, more weight in the keys. That's what you should get, for example Casio PX-150 or Yamaha P105.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Perhaps, by 'not mechanical' keyboard, the OP means a touch-screen keyboard (either as part of a computer or as an external 'floppy keyboard' of some sort). This would, indeed, be electronic - and potentially illuminated - but would hardly be mechanical.

Last edited by toddy; 11/05/13 10:41 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Perhaps "mechanical" means acoustic?

W. Hoffmann V120/Vario
KAWAI ES-8
J
OP Offline
J
Mechanical means (in my head) a piano with stings you have to tune and all that... Sorry to everybody for the misunderstanding.

I do not want this kind of piano. I need an normal syntethisor keyboard kind of... I was also thinking of the Line6 keyboard 49 keys. That is the spirit. I miss some keys on that thought...

Thanks for your quick answer... i was not expecting answers so fast !!

J
OP Offline
J
up

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
down

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
OK, any DP within budget that has midi connectors or USB(midi) will do. You may have to purchase a connector for MAC or iPAD, something like iRig, LINE6 or the CCK. You have not provided enough details of your requirements, and most DP's do what you want, so no answers. Take a look at the Casio CDP120 perhaps as well as the others mentioned.

J
OP Offline
J
What kind of details requirements do you need? Because I am a beginner, i dont know about the opportunities. Is there a check list somewhere?

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
If we look at a mechanism as an agency or means by which an effect is produced or a purpose is accomplished, then, there's no such thing as a non-mechanical piano. A stringless, keyless, hammerless piano is still using some form of mechanism; perhaps a virtual/digital mechanism, yet a mechanism nonetheless. As far as the light-up keys go, I prefer a greenish look to my keys!

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by jbesclapez
What kind of details requirements do you need? Because I am a beginner, i dont know about the opportunities. Is there a check list somewhere?

Budget. Number and type of keys. Inbuilt sounds. Slab or console. Inbuilt speakers. There will be more after some initial answers.

About the light up keys. Why would you want that? It does not help with learning, and even if it did your wouldn't want it after 2-3 weeks. As an example, when I started I labelled all the keys. Big mistake, instead of learning my way around I was trying to follow by reading the writing on the keys.

J
OP Offline
J
Budget is max 200 euros.
Inbuild sounds : Like a synthetisor.
Slab, not console.
With Inbuilt speakers. No real power needed.

You probably have a point with the light up keys. The keyboard is for a 6 years old kid. I though the lights would help at this age...

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
On that budget you will have to go used or second hand for 88 key hammer action.

You could check out the Yamaha NP11 or NP31. Not full 88 keys and not hammer action, but does have midi to connect to iPad/MAC/PC. Maybe OK for a beginner of six but if they are serious about learning and get a teacher on a real piano you would have to upgrade.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Well, if you're on such a tight budget and it's for your six-year-old son, you should check out the 61 keys Yamaha EZ-220.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMFvu2HLC5M

This video is from a reseller, but shows how the keyboard can be used and what it is.

Actually I think that him saying the keys are real piano sized and the touch sensitivity adds expression to your playing, are overstatements. The keys have almost no resistance and very little expression is possible.

Still this keyboard may be a lot of fun to use, for children. If your son loses interest, you will not have spent a lot of money. Then again, such a limited keyboard might exactly be the thing that causes him to lose interest. shocked

Maybe you should sell your Ipad and get a better piano. No, just kidding, I'm just saying this because I'm not fond of Ipad.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
J
OP Offline
J
I looked at it... it seems perfect... thanks a a lot TheodorN.

If anyone knows a competitor of the Yamaha EZ-220, i am interested too.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission