2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
zerox61 Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hi,

I had my piano tuned and I happened to be in the room while the tuner was working with my piano and noticed that when removing the tuning hammer from the pins during fine tuning, she would place it down on the piano plate.. but it kind of dropping a few millimetres above the plate. I was not really comfortable with that and wondered how many other tuners have this same practice.

I didn't say anything, but now I thought about it, I should have asked to handle the piano a bit better.

Should I place a cloth for her to put the hammer on so it won't scratch my piano?

I did check the plate after tuning and noticed some scratches on the gold plate. I don't know for sure if it was caused by the hammer but since the piano is only 1.5 years old since I bought it new, it is unlikely anything else caused the scratches.

Will the tuner be offended if I ask them to be more gentle with my piano?

Any other piano owners faced this before? how did you deal with it?

Its a grand piano by the way.

edit:

I am aware that I can get a different tuner if I am unhappy with this service but this tuning (and the next!) provided for free as part of purchase.

Last edited by zerox61; 11/05/13 01:27 AM.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I'm having a hard time visualizing what you're saying. That said, as a general rule, piano technicians shouldn't be dropping things (accidents do happen, though). If you feel like your tuner is not respecting your property, try to think of a diplomatic way to address it.

Z
zerox61 Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
check this picture out: http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwiki/66/Bechstein_D280_top_view.jpg

on the bottom right, there is a convenient place to put the tuning hammer while doing other adjustments.

To visualise: Its like casually placing your set of keys on top a brand new shiny car bonnet.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I see. Interesting. I just leave the thing on a tuning pin. Regardless, it probably won't hurt anything.

P

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until November 11 2014
1000 Post Club Member
P
I feel your pain. My piano has such damage in that spot from tools being placed there over the years (but mine is not new).

>Should I place a cloth for her to put the hammer on so it won't scratch my piano?
Yes, at minimum. At maximum, ask for no-cost repairs to the damage done.

Best wishes-

Last edited by phacke; 11/05/13 04:52 AM.

phacke

Steinway YM (1933)
...Working on:
J. S. Bach, Toccata (G minor) BWV 915
(and trying not to forget the other stuff I know)
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I think you should share your concern with the person working on your piano. Even though the tunings are being provided "free" you paid for them when you bought the piano, so I don't think you should have to accept service you're not happy with.

Yes the technician might get a little ticked. They might feel you are overly picky. Do you have those sock things over the pedals? Many people (myself included) don't like the sock things because they sacrifice playability for an attempt to keep the piano perfect.

But the bottom line is: it's your piano. I think you can be as picky as you want to be. The consequence is a technician might not want to work for you or might charge more. But there is more than one piano technician in the world.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
This is why a piano owner needs to be aware of who they allow to tune/serivce their piano. Sloppy technique that might cause scratching or scaring of a multi-thousand dollar piano is not good in my view, regardless of how good the tuner is...

On the other hand, there are risks involved in tuning/servicing a piano and scratching it is one of those risks.

By all means, mention this to your tuner next time they work on your piano. If it offends them, get another tuner. You are the customer and the one paying the bill.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
I had a quilted pad made for me with my business name embroidered on it that I lay on a piano while doing tunings and other work. This allows me a place to set my tools and keep the piano protected while I work. Fits nicely in my tool box and tuning tools so its always with me.

I usually leave the tuning hammer on the pin while I make any adjustments.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
While tuning a grand, the only things I might lay on the painted surface of the plate is my rubber mute and my plastic-handled screwdriver - gently, mind you. If I lay my tuning hammer down, I lay it across the top of a group of tuning pins so it never comes in contact with anything fragile. If I have to pull any other tools out, like when replacing a string or performing regulation work, In have a cloth tool roll that I roll out and lay everything on.

To me, dropping anything on the plate is irresponsible, and yes, I would find a tactful way to say something about it.

That being said, one of the less avoidable hazards when tuning is scratching the plate - usually at the struts - while tuning. The head of the tuning hammer is usually knurled, or at least has sharp edges. One slip, or failure to use a long enough tip, and the shoulder of the strut can get a ding in it. To me, while this is still not acceptable, it can be perceived as excusable.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
C
C
Thanks to OP and the Pro's here who are sharing details, I can now act proactively to cut up piece of padded cloth and aprons to ensure no scratches appear.

I am thinking of a simple cover mirroring a "surgical cover" smile. It will cover the rim and everywhere that the tech may touch.

Accidents do happen, but professionals must endeavor to mitigate such accidents. Laying rubber mat or cushioned pads or anything and everything to minimize or eliminate incidental nicks and scratches is good sound business practice. It will impress the customers too, with such attention to details and such respect for another's cherished possession.

Tuning is a business transaction. If we will not let our friends and relatives touch our grand without some rules and guidelines, why would we allow a tech to do as he or she pleases without some discussions and the same ground rules?

Why would we expect "less" of a tech than a friend or a relative?

I would definitely speak to our tech about this and make sure there is no confusion as to how picky we are. We want absolutely no scratches or damages due to "accidents"; especially when such accidents can be anticipated and mitigated proactively.

Thanks again to OP and the helpful pros.

Last edited by Caowner2013; 11/05/13 01:30 PM.
Z
zerox61 Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Thanks for all of your opinions. I'll provide some soft material next time for the tuner to place their tools if they want to rest it on top of my piano.

I did get those pedal socks but most of the time they are not used. I only use them in winter when the brass pedals are freezing cold! I actually stack the three pedal socks on the sustain pedal so my feet wont be cold.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by zerox61
I did get those pedal socks but most of the time they are not used. I only use them in winter when the brass pedals are freezing cold! I actually stack the three pedal socks on the sustain pedal so my feet wont be cold.

I never thought about that possible use - great idea smile

Pianist and Piano Teacher
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by zerox61

imho that's hilarious..
You made my day.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission