2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (alexcomoda, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
Hello,
this is my latest piano composition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjAIeEXCEwU

It would be nice to get some feedback :-)

:-)
Eric

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Obviously it is well composed you have music in you, but if it were up to me, I would have you branch far out from this style. It's banal, predictable, and has been done a million times. frown

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW
Obviously it is well composed you have music in you, but if it were up to me, I would have you branch far out from this style. It's banal, predictable, and has been done a million times. frown

+1

Regards,

Polyphonist
K
K
I kind of agree, but...

It is very well done, and beautifully played. Obviously you have found a style that suits you. The chord progressions are predictable, but still pianistically it is very good, and the piece has a well shaped dynamic form.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I agree with the others, it's a little too interesting to be meditation music, but also the style is mature at this point. I don't necessarily agree that branching far away from this style is what you should do. I think a good pianist/composer could easily differentiate oneself from the pack by extending one's harmonic sensibilities from the predominantly diatonic by incorporating a bit of chromaticism and jazz harmonic flavors. Let's face it this style of New Agey music is very "Vanilla." Almost every Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, flavor is created by adding good stuff to vanilla ice cream. Think of it as extending your flavor palette.

To reiterate your piece is wonderfully crafted, but ultimately boring. Many people will love it just as it is. You must know that you've posted this on a board with a fairly high level of musical sophistication. We want more from the music posted here than you've given us. If your audience is happy with vanilla then more power to you in supplying it. But, if you're having a hard time breaking away from the pack and making a mark then you might consider what folks here are saying as a way to differentiate yourself and extend this style of music. Good luck.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
S
S
Eh, I really liked this. Previous posters commented in a fashion as predictable as your chord progressions I am afraid to say, and honestly I think it is a cheap critique. Anyone who has issues with a particular musical style isn't benefitting anyone by telling them to change their style. A musician's sensibility is not always the same as musical sensibility, though we tend to think otherwise. While this might not be "musician's music" and won't turn any heads by doing something unexpected, it is written quite beautifully. Once it was over, though a very short piece, I really did feel like I went on some sort of journey that was coming to a close. I loved the melody and the flowing accompaniment. The only part I really disliked was the brief section where you are vamping chords in the right hand. Felt kind of stale going from beautiful melody to just chords. I kept wanting to hear some kind of melody on top of that chord. Maybe you could experiment adding melody notes in that section in top of the chords.

This said, I don't think it would hurt anyone to experiment with different styles, I don't think previous comments are worthless or not worth considering; However, when it comes to your music you are free to write in your own language, to use your own vocabulary. And I just want to say that I felt something when I heard this, and I found it quite beautiful.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
To reiterate your piece is wonderfully crafted, but ultimately boring. Many people will love it just as it is. You must know that you've posted this on a board with a fairly high level of musical sophistication. We want more from the music posted here than you've given us. Good luck.

Thanks for your piano piece Eric. I enjoyed listening to it, welcome to PW and the composers forum.
There are no requirements of "a fairly high level of musical sophistication" , whatever that may mean, to post and interact here. Steve may mean well, apart from his condescension and judgement.
What are your own thoughts about your piece?

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission