2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Nikolas
But you see the point is that I don't care to persuade anyone. I'm not passionate at all for this (in fact I did call it a silly debate to begin with. If you were a bit careful you'd have noticed that).

If you are too eager to check examples of both categories, go over to these two websites:
www.musica-ferrum.com
www.northbysound.com

Both contain works of mine. Check, have a listen and see if they all feel the same... :-/

But it IS up to you in the end. I offered an idea and not much else (and something that Polyphonist was eager to discuss...). smile

I tried one of your websites and the page didn't load. Anyway, we're not discussing your music, we're discussing that of Rachmaninoff, Medtner, and Scriabin. You claim that the music of Rachmaninoff is inferior to that of Scriabin because Rachmaninoff was a conservative and refused to be swept up in the wave of atonality that permeated the first half of the twentieth century and which consumed Prokofiev, Stravinsky, and Scriabin. Well, Bach lived during the beginning of the Classical reform movement. Yet he continued to write in the High Baroque way, using his distinctive mixture of the German, Italian, and French styles. Rachmaninoff is very similar in this respect - he remained with the harmonic language and sonority of Late Romanticism, while Scriabin went on to compose vast quantities of atonal music. So, using your criteria, Scarlatti should be superior to Bach.

Regards,

Polyphonist
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
When Nikolas starts telling us all about his compositions,
I head for the hills ... having a low threshold of pain.

However, for those who mightn’t know it ...
at the Moscow Conservatory,
Rachmaninoff had Tchaikovsky as a teacher.

“At his final examination in keyboard harmony,
he was given a unique mark; the maximum possible score was five, which, as an acknowledgement of exceptional ability, could be supplemented with a plus mark.

Rachmaninoff earned a five, with four pluses
one each side, one below and one above.”

Kind regards, btb

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by btb

However, for those who mightn’t know it ...
at the Moscow Conservatory,
Rachmaninoff had Tchaikovsky as a teacher.

“At his final examination in keyboard harmony,
he was given a unique mark; the maximum possible score was five, which, as an acknowledgement of exceptional ability, could be supplemented with a plus mark.

Rachmaninoff earned a five, with four pluses
one each side, one below and one above.”

Kind regards, btb

thumb

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Polyphonist, my reply and the links where towards Anthony and not yourself. Both links work over here, so not sure on what's wrong...

I just hope that nobody thinks I'm comparing myself to Rachmaninoff! That would be dead idiotic from myself! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb

I love it!

I love the fact that you end your post with the following:

Kind regards, btb

And thank you polyphonist as well for acknowledging that! quite kind of both of you!

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I fear the Greeks bearing gifts!

kind regards, btb

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
LOL!

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by btb

I love it!

I love the fact that you end your post with the following:

Kind regards, btb

And thank you polyphonist as well for acknowledging that! quite kind of both of you!

I was referring to the story about Rachmaninoff, not his insults about your compositions.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I know... at least I read it this way. Still it was an opportunity for a punch below the belt! :P

After all I'm still laughing in my flame armor.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
I know... at least I read it this way. Still it was an opportunity for a punch below the belt! :P

You seem to really want to turn this into a flame war.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
A
But you see the point is that I don't care to persuade anyone. I'm not passionate at all for this (in fact I did call it a silly debate to begin with. If you were a bit careful you'd have noticed that).

If you are too eager to check examples of both categories, go over to these two websites:
www.musica-ferrum.com
www.northbysound.com

Both contain works of mine. Check, have a listen and see if they all feel the same... :-/

But it IS up to you in the end. I offered an idea and not much else (and something that Polyphonist was eager to discuss...). smile

You're still leaving it up to me. The criteria was yours not mine, why not give an example.
I find it hard to believe you don't care if composing is your life's work

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

If I'm giving this impression, I'm sorry. I'm just taking this thread quite lightly, that's all (thus all the comments and pic about armor and stuff. Completely and utterly silly).

Anthony: You don't seem to get it. It's a post on a (silly) internet debate. That's all. You want to take it apart, by all means. But YOU want examples. You disagree with the classification I made. That's fine by me, you know... I won't bite, I won't fight back, and I probably won't post much else...

Perhaps I'm trolling a bit. :-/

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Perhaps I'm trolling a bit. :-/

Tone is everything. Nikolas, good-natured, self-deprecating, liberal with the smiley-faces, is the very antithesis of an internet troll. No matter what he actually writes. smile

-J

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I'm just taking this thread quite lightly, that's all (thus all the comments and pic about armor and stuff. Completely and utterly silly).

As well you should. And as well we all should when reading any thread on PW.

Originally Posted by beet31425
Tone is everything. Nikolas, good-natured, self-deprecating, liberal with the smiley-faces, is the very antithesis of an internet troll.

thumb Nikolas is one of the true gentlemen on this forum. Even if I thought he wrote something spiteful or nasty, I'd first question my own interpretation of what he wrote before I'd ever question his intent. "Nasty" just doesn't seem to be in his DNA.

And if he's doing a bit of trolling at the moment, more power to him. The place needs a little livening up from time to time. grin

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Old Man
I'm just taking this thread quite lightly, that's all (thus all the comments and pic about armor and stuff. Completely and utterly silly).

As well you should. And as well we all should when reading any thread on PW.

Originally Posted by beet31425
Tone is everything. Nikolas, good-natured, self-deprecating, liberal with the smiley-faces, is the very antithesis of an internet troll.

thumb Nikolas is one of the true gentlemen on this forum. Even if I thought he wrote something spiteful or nasty, I'd first question my own interpretation of what he wrote before I'd ever question his intent. "Nasty" just doesn't seem to be in his DNA.

And if he's doing a bit of trolling at the moment, more power to him. The place needs a little livening up from time to time. grin

Ditto !!!! thumb thumb thumb

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
If you'll allow me to divert the attention a bit, Rachmaninoff has greater credentials and had greater success, both as a pianist and composer, compared with Scriabin or Medtner.. by pretty much any measure. All three are missing something, though, compared with the masters Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev and later Shostakovich. I suppose that I am predisposed to prefer the composers who respected and understood the contributions of the Western composers, well enough to ultimately improve on them. The "Russian Romantics" were a little too insular and self-absorbed for my taste, though the next guy may have exactly the opposite opinion and admire their individuality.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
If you'll allow me to divert the attention a bit, Rachmaninoff has greater credentials and had greater success, both as a pianist and composer, compared with Scriabin or Medtner.. by pretty much any measure. All three are missing something, though, compared with the masters Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev and later Shostakovich. I suppose that I am predisposed to prefer the composers who respected and understood the contributions of the Western composers, well enough to ultimately improve on them. The "Russian Romantics" were a little too insular and self-absorbed for my taste, though the next guy may have exactly the opposite opinion and admire their individuality.

So you're saying that Rachmaninoff was a Russian Romantic, and Tchaikovsky wasn't? Not sure how you're figuring that one out. And yes, Tchaikovsky is a master, even a genius, but Rachmaninoff (his student) surpassed him in almost every way.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
A
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
[quote=Nikolas]I know... at least I read it this way. Still it was an opportunity for a punch below the belt! :P

If I'm giving this impression, I'm sorry. I'm just taking this thread quite lightly, that's all (thus all the comments and pic about armor and stuff. Completely and utterly silly).

Anthony: You don't seem to get it. It's a post on a (silly) internet debate. That's all. You want to take it apart, by all means. But YOU want examples. You disagree with the classification I made. That's fine by me, you know... I won't bite, I won't fight back, and I probably won't post much else...

Perhaps I'm trolling a bit. :-/ [/quote
Of course not, you're too superior for all this

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
This thread has been trashed beyond recognition.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ando
This thread has been trashed beyond recognition.

That's par for the course just now. (The spoilers tend to get bored after a while and either become useful contributors or go away.) The problem, of course, is that forum members who have something thoughtful or worthwhile to contribute don't contribute for fear of being trashed by this year's young turk or just don't want to get involved in flame wars.

Live in hope.

John

Vasa inania multum strepunt.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission