2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Nikolas
wower: FSO is a female, not a male, as far as I know! wink

easily updated. thanks.

Bad spellers of the world untie!
FSO #2173785 10/29/13 02:50 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by FSO
jazzyprof...*cough*...that *may* be one of mine...thanks for the compliment but...I'm a bit stunned that's made its way *here*....

As you've admitted you wrote that story, did you get someone else to edit it, or did you edit it yourself, to make it into paragraphed, easily comprehensible prose? (Assuming that you originally wrote it in the same manner as your writings here).

If you did edit it yourself, why not do the same for your posts here, so that more people will read them? *cough* wink

I must admit that your writing style in this forum is rather off-putting (and that's not because English isn't my first language), and I've never managed to read any of your posts here all the way to the end, except for the rare ones which have paragraphs.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
The posting style is sometimes a struggle but FSO's posts are almost always worth reading. I initially balked at the wall of text but it grows on you LOL. What's in that wall is often more entertaining than most properly constructed posts.

That's just the crux of it tho. If one has something of substance to say. If something is worth saying. Then I'm of the opinion it's worth saying well. I'm totally fine if other's don't share that view but I would ask writers to accept the consequences of such decisions. I've always been under the impression the posting style was technical in nature and not a personal choice. Like maybe they are using their parent's computer and they won't let an updated browser on the old computer. That's really got to suck but there are still workarounds. Let's work through these to get better at communicating. Going back to my comment lucid writing is a skill and not divinely granted; I think it's important to encourage FSO to practice good writing technique, then this insight others speak of might bring even wider opportunities to FSO.

FSO #2173804 10/29/13 03:25 PM
F
FSO Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Writing a post and writing a story are two entirely separate functions and so I'm forced to read and re-read what I write; even so, my best friend proof-reads everything I write with intent to publish and finds more ums and inconsequential tangents than I'd care to admit. I mean...I had a scribe when taking exams in school...this isn't just a typing problem frown laugh Um...I'm okay with what I write not being read; I've never started a thread saying "please answer me, wah, why are you all so meeeeean?!?!". wower asks that "writers to accept the consequences of such decisions" and I do. I entirely do; I've said so very many times. Um...I *will* say, actually, that when I read my posts I recognise that I say *precisely* what I mean to, sparing typographical stammering. Emphasis is on the words that *should* be emphasised...I get the aparagraphical hatred, I get the "um" dysphoria, I get that word makeuppery *might* be confusing to non-English speakers, but the asterisks are *always* in the right place laugh I have *that* at least to cling onto. Um...for the record, I'm not using a parent's computer; I've not lived in the same county as them for a fair few years now and the commute is simply not worth the hassle. I'm not *that* young laugh
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
FSO #2173812 10/29/13 03:43 PM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I enjoy your posts FSO.

What annoys me is how a fair few members of this forum act like they are doing others the great honour of imparting their scholarly wisdom, which, although comical, detracts from any chance of discussion. At least FSO isn't a self-conceited know-it-all like some others here.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
FSO #2173817 10/29/13 03:51 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm also enjoying the presence of FSO and her posts... I don't often quote her, since it's difficult to do so, and I will admit that I do have a bit of a difficulty following such long paragrphless texts... In fact I just edited such a text into columns, for better reading...

Still, at some point we have to admit that this is how she posts.

Still, at some point we have to admit that some members may have never come across such an issue in PW forums.

Still, at some point we have to admit that we are the ones keeping this discussion alive by posting on and on for or against this issue.

Still, at some point we have to admit that my post is doing all the above! grin

So...

What to follow...

In conjunction with the recording thread: Everything! Why be perfect? Especially for works so old that it makes little sense to be perfect, unless you're trying to be a historically correct performer (which for me is dead boring... really... I prefer to watch a debate between Collins and a tomato! (honestly I just came up with the name Collins, after watching NCIS! I hope that I won't embarrass myself and this will be an important, nice fellow.)).

Really though... In such instances (like Bach, with all the myths and truths surrounding him) you can either be an ALL Bach person, or nothing. I'm nothing. smile

Originally Posted by TheHappyMoron
What annoys me is how a fair few members of this forum act like they are doing others the great honour of imparting their scholarly wisdom, which, although comical, detracts from any chance of discussion. At least FSO isn't a self-conceited know-it-all like some others here.

So dramatic! A kettle calling the pot black.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by wower

So dramatic! A kettle calling the pot black.

How so, friend?

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
FSO #2173837 10/29/13 04:26 PM
A
A
FSO,

Willard Palmer, for an Alfred edition of Bach's 2 pt. and 3 pt. inventions did a survey of tempos used in editions, commentaries, and recordings. The range between fastest and slowest is often 100% and especially in the 3 pt. greater than 100%.

I have found this to a be fascinating study. These simple little pieces completely change their character depending on the tempo. Details emerge and then disappear as you speed up. Phrasing structures change also.

I think much of Bach's music lends itself to this type of treatment. His music makes sense at almost any tempo. Tradition may hold some of his pieces as "fast" or "slow" more than the demands of musical coherence.

However with other composers I think that the range of "acceptable" tempos is much smaller.

I appreciate your bringing up this subject which I have found fascinating for decades. And as far as your literary critics go I too can have trouble following you mid-paragraph, the best solution I have found is cntl - mouse scroll to increase the font size... something I am having to do much more often these days. I enjoy your stream of conscience thoughts, which are a nice contrast to my own overly analytical thought process. Keep it up.

FSO #2173839 10/29/13 04:27 PM
B
B
Originally Posted by FSO
Um...for the record, I'm not using a parent's computer; I've not lived in the same country as them for a fair few years now and the commute is simply not worth the hassle. I'm not *that* young laugh
Xxx

Well, at least we do have a few things in common......*almost* grin

If music be the food of love, play on!
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
It is very interesting regarding tempi in Bach, I've alwas enjoyed playing WTC 1 prelude in C very fast and slow(ish). When played very fast it has a beautiful watery effect, much like Chopin's op 10 1. Am I correct in believing Chopin was inspired in this particular etude?

Online Content
Originally Posted by gooddog
Does anyone remember how irritating
Gyro's posts use to
be? We either chose to read them
or discarded them. I
only had the patience to
read FSO's first post. Because it required
far too much time and concentration to
wade through his/her style, I gave up on the
rest of the posts. I think it lacks courtesy to make
one's writing so inaccessible but if FSO
insists on this style, then I can't be
bothered to wade through it. His/her choice
and my choice.
I think Gyro's posts were nothing in terms of difficulty reading them compared to FSO's posts. The only problem with Gyro's posts were that he shortened each line as you did above. I don't even remember any posters complaining about Gyro's style.

I certainly agree with the lack of courtesy aspect even though this may not be intentional, and FSO has claimed she cannot write any other way or even edit her posts after writing.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/29/13 05:01 PM.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I don't remember any posters complaining about Gyro's style.

Really? I thought Gyro's odd comments were a rather hot topic once.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
It is very interesting regarding tempi in Bach, I've alwas enjoyed playing WTC 1 prelude in C very fast and slow(ish). When played very fast it has a beautiful watery effect, much like Chopin's op 10 1. Am I correct in believing Chopin was inspired in this particular etude?

Absolutely. I'd say it's as close to a direct reference to Bach as he ever came.

Online Content

It was usually what he said and not how he said it. Most people thought it was just his sense of humor kind of like Bachman.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T

It was usually what he said and not how he said it. Most people thought it was just his sense of humor kind of like Bachman.

Ahh, I see. Anybody know what happened to Gyro?

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

Absolutely. I'd say it's as close to a direct reference to Bach as he ever came.

Wasn't it during this time that the Bach revival had come about? Interesting as op 10 was an early project for Chopin.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones

There's also the Prelude 28/1.

Regards,

Polyphonist
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
Originally Posted by Alan Lai
First of all, I would appreciate if you paragraph your post better.

What about the second of all? wink

M.

I want to be clear that no sarcasm was intended with that post toward FSO or Alan. I was hoping that Alan would be induced to proceed with his comments on the subject of this thread. And about FSO's posts, I have been reading these for months and am confident to assert that these are the work of a talented writer who also is a very sharp observer.

M.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Michael Sayers
And about FSO's posts, I have been reading these for months and am confident to assert that these are the work of a talented writer who also is a very sharp observer.

+1

My only problem with FSO's style is that people wind up talking about her style instead of her interesting, nuanced observations and wonderings.

-J

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission