2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2172498 10/26/13 06:58 PM
A
OP Offline
A
A quick question about breaking nails. Is this normal?

Recently over the past few months, there were a few times when I was practicing and my LH pinky nail breaks. It usually happens when doing some sort of octave/solid-broken chord/arpeggio exercises.

I keep my nails fairly trim. Also it does not hurt when it happens. Each time this happens I just trim the nail back a bit so the bent/broke part is more even with the rest of the nail.

Amateur learning pieces at RCM10/ARCT level.
Personal favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLILL3oHOh_LYIesZlb11Vl5DwMH4xpeg1
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Are you sure you haven't got a problem that can cause brittle nails, like psoriasis, or a fungal infection?

If you haven't, try using a urea-containing emollient to moisturize and soften your nails.

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
There's clear nail polish out there with all sorts of stuff in it to strengthen nails. I layer in on by the gallon...sure saves a lot of grief for very little $$$...

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
ajskfld576, I have read your post, here:

subject: A quick question about breaking nails. Is this normal?

Recently over the past few months, there were a few times when I was practicing and my LH pinky nail breaks. It usually happens when doing some sort of octave/solid-broken chord/arpeggio exercises.

I keep my nails fairly trim. Also it does not hurt when it happens. Each time this happens I just trim the nail back a bit so the bent/broke part is more even with the rest of the nail.

Interesting post. I have chewed my nails since childhood. Even putting no bite stuff on my nails didn't stop me because I ignored the stuff to get to the nails to chew.

But what is interesting is that be it a digital or an acoustic piano or even a computer keyboard over a year or two they show signs of wear and this without nails so what would keyboards and piano keys be like with someone with long nails. I don't know because I never had long nails but maybe someone who is old like me, 64, could tell me what their experience has been for a long time having long nails - like scaring the piano keys ! ! !

cheers,

3B26LN

Last edited by Michael_99; 10/26/13 08:30 PM.
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Some of the keys on both my computational and musical keyboards have some definite claw marks... blush My nails are...well, some of them protrude further than they...pretrude? laugh Often I'll use the nail to get that little extra reach...um...snapping happens occasionally, but obviously is more likely to occur when you really go for it. Personally I have extreme fortune in having overtly resilient nails, but for you...if it's a new problem (well, condition at least) then that's peculiar..um...has your technique changed any? *Do* you have a fungus (I <3 fungi laugh )? Has your diet changed...I'm sure you're fully aware of how oversimplified nail structure is nowadays...um...if it's not a problem then I wouldn't worry too much, especially if it's not a painful break; thinking about the physics of it, it's probably just a slight brittling (pfft, it *should* be a word...that or embrittlement) and unless it starts happening when you, say, tie your laces or do up a zip then it's absolutely not a serious concern...um...excepting the rarest circumstances of House-like proportions, naturally ^_^ Now....I may only be a weak amateur at piano, but *nails* I know grin I hope this helps....
<3

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
A
OP Offline
A
Yes it's not a huge problem, I'm perfectly healthy and it only really happens when I do more extensive exercises.

Hmm this reminds me of other instances where somehow I would strike the key in just the right way so that the nail would catch right in between two keys. Which is crazy because as I mentioned I keep my nails fairly trim.

Again, it's not like this happens on a regular basis. Just curious to see if others have had instances of nails breaking after doing some intense practice.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You could try something like that (any brand).

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

A
A
Originally Posted by ajskfld576
Yes it's not a huge problem, I'm perfectly healthy and it only really happens when I do more extensive exercises.

Hmm this reminds me of other instances where somehow I would strike the key in just the right way so that the nail would catch right in between two keys. Which is crazy because as I mentioned I keep my nails fairly trim.

Again, it's not like this happens on a regular basis. Just curious to see if others have had instances of nails breaking after doing some intense practice.

I used to have nail splitting and it was horrendous and painful. I slowly learnt how to trim my nails and to not contact the keys with my nails but with the flesh instead. You are probably curving too much if you hit the keys with your nails.

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
My nails break a lot when I'm playing the piano, yes. I'm fortunate that it doesn't split down to the quick of the nail, but it definitely is annoying. I don't like to bite my nails since it's unsanitary.

The thumb nail is the most commonly broken for me.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by AK92

I slowly learnt how to trim my nails and to not contact the keys with my nails but with the flesh instead. You are probably curving too much if you hit the keys with your nails.

I was thinking something similar, that the nails shouldn't be striking the keys. If I hear a nail clicking on a key I go and trim them right away. I hate it when nails scratch the fallboard too.

1989 Baldwin R
T
T
I cut my nails nearly to the quick, but still occasionally snag one in a white key cutout around an accidental. Drives me bat-poo crazy, and also it hurts. If the nail would break when that happens, it might hurt less. The rest of the time they break if I look at them.

Last edited by thorn_was_taken; 10/28/13 12:25 AM.

thorn

-- Sometimes I poke. Even if I like you.

1920's Mason & Hamlin A
B
B
If all else fails, tape up your nails before playing.

Alfred Brendel did that regularly on most of his fingers; a few others tape just one or two fingers.

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Keep them very short and rub in moisturizer to keep them supple and strong.

Best regards,

Deborah
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I used to bite my nails... until I contracted my second perinicial infection from it (an infection of the nail bed: incision, surgical drain, etc--- no fun at all).

I invested in a nail clipper.

Maybe the OP's 'fairly short' nails are not quite short enough after all. I've observed that if I hear my nails clicking on the keys, it's not long until I have the problem mentioned of having the nails catch in the cracks between the keys. It's a sign to me that it's time to trim. I have heard that drinking gelatin strengthens the fingernails.

Clef

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
If it makes anyone feel better, Stevie Ray Vaughn's nails used to pull away from the bed from stretching the the guitar strings for blues notes. They would "fix" them with super-glue.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
P
P
Originally Posted by bennevis
If all else fails, tape up your nails before playing.

Alfred Brendel did that regularly on most of his fingers; a few others tape just one or two fingers.

I don't have breaking nails, but just another painful problem, which starts every year with the cold and dry air, regardless the amount of hand cream I'm using: The skin around my nails at the fingertips becomes very dry and breaks. It's really painful to have to play like this and I usually tape those fingers up.
I've been experimenting with various types of tape over the years. Does anyone know what Brendel used? Can anyone recommend good tape for this?

The piano keys are black and white,
But they sound like a million colours in your mind.
(Katie Melua)
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I have the problem of cracking skin too. I seal the cracks with superglue, which allows pain-free playing while they heal.

(Disclaimer: not intended as medical advice to anyone!)

1989 Baldwin R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Generally, this kind of thing as well as splits in the fingertip, occur because excessive force is used in the key keystroke, or it is timed too low.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Short nails and Weleda Skin Food..

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ugh, this thread is making me wince as I hurt my finger last week right at the nail and the cuticle. It's very tender and sore to the touch. It probably would be better by now, except that I'm constantly whacking it on the side of a white key, which brings tears to the eye each time. So my whole thumb is swollen now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission