2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
65 members (bobrunyan, Calavera, ChrisGoesPiano, clothearednincompo, Bill McKaig,RPT, anotherscott, 17 invisible), 500 guests, and 468 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Note by Note - Documentary
Minnesota Marty #2172884 10/27/13 06:08 PM
T
T
I went to see a concert at Greene music (Steinway dealer) a few years ago and won a copy of Note by note in a raffle. It was ok but it seemed rather political to me. It seemed much more about the builders, many of which didn't seem to enjoy or play music, than the Steinway history and legacy or why they are different or better.

I mean one guy went down the list of all the nationalities that worked there, even some that didn't even speak English, and called the company the United nations? I don't care if martians that hate earth people build my piano, I just care if it does what its supposed to do.

What am i supposed to get out of that? That I'm supposed to buy a Steinway because working guys like me build them? All of which by the way cannot afford to buy the very pianos they are building? Or am I to have sympathy for their plight because, at that time, the company is in trouble so "buy our pianos so you can save our jobs?" Or buy from us becuase we're racially diverse and all the others are not? Weird. Just weird.

I actually do sympathize with american workers and craftsman of all trades because I am one of them. But buying a Steinway somehow seems to line the pockets of the stockholders and dealers than the builders and craftsman.

They should have made a modern film about "Why Steinway is a better piano than all the other!" than this. I mean you have to really stand out these days to justify charging the prices Steinway is charging compared to what you can get from so other companies now.

Now if I want to see a film about how a piano is made or see excellent, dedicated well dressed Master Craftsman that look and play the part I would watch the numerous other films put out by the European and Japanese Makers such as Schimmel and Bosendorfer than this.

As a film its just not well made or thought out.

As a promotional piece its just not convincing.

As a self pat on the back it great.

As a Political piece its a turn off.

All that said... I still love the pianos they make but it has little to do with the originators of the brand.

BTW before anyone jumps on me and calls me a racist for pointing out that Steinway was using the race card, my wife is Asian and my daughter is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on earth... so don't go there.

Charles Walter Model W (190)

“The aim and final end of all music should be none other than the glory of God and the refreshment of the soul.” J.S. Bach

"I just want to know, if we came from monkeys and apes, WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS AND APES?" George Carlin
Minnesota Marty #2172928 10/27/13 07:43 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Theodore,

This film was not made by Steinway. It is an independent documentary film about the making of a Steinway piano. Steinway is not "using the race card" (strange way of talking about the fact that the filmmakers showed the diversity of the work force). How you got politics out of this is beyond me.

Sophia

Theodore Slutz #2172939 10/27/13 08:05 PM
T
T
Theodore_Slutz, it sounds quite like you're criticizing a documentary film for not being an extended commercial. Say what you will, but clearly Steinway didn't consider it to be a bad film, or the dealer would likely have chosen to raffle off something else instead. The filmmakers needed significant buy-in from Steinway for the access they were given. I expect from Steinway's point of view it was quite uncontroversial.

I liked seeing all of the featured musicians.

Last edited by thorn_was_taken; 10/27/13 08:06 PM.

thorn

-- Sometimes I poke. Even if I like you.

1920's Mason & Hamlin A
Theodore Slutz #2172947 10/27/13 08:21 PM
O
O
Originally Posted by Theodore Slutz
I went to see a concert at Greene music (Steinway dealer) a few years ago and won a copy of Note by note in a raffle.

They should have let you pay for it, I did and for me it became a fascinating and inspiring documentary smile

Minnesota Marty #2173112 10/28/13 09:09 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Another thumbs up for Note by Note and I fall into the the camp of Steinway "bashers." I found the human diverstity interesting and of thel real world. Pianomania was good too.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
KurtZ #2173883 10/29/13 04:27 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Interestingly, Pierre-Laurent Aimard who featured so prominently (and is a Steinway Artist), has been moonlighting occasionally on Yamaha CFX in concert in recent years.....

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Experiences with Tonebase?
by ClsscLib - 11/25/20 12:29 PM
What note combination or chords are these
by Jack Gately - 11/25/20 08:10 AM
playing problem
by alecras234 - 11/25/20 07:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,037
Posts3,027,002
Members99,370
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission