2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (BMKE, Brendan, 36251, Andrew E., AndrewJCW, brdwyguy, 16 invisible), 654 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
Hi guys, may I have you opinions on the Korg Kronos?

I don't realy like my RD700nx sound and I liked the Kronos at the store... but what do you think?

Roland RD-700NX, HS8 studio monitor, AKG701 headphone
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Alegretto

I don't realy like my RD700nx sound and I liked the Kronos at the store... but what do you think?

Well, in terms of piano sound, what matters of course is what you think. Unless you're thinking about buying one for me. ;-)

From an academic perspective, both offer no stretching and no looping... the Roland through modeling, the Kronos through the "brute force" method of gigs of samples. But that doesn't mean they sound the same. Or even that they necessarily sound better than some other pianos that stretch and loop.

You'll find people who think the Roland sounds better and people who think the Kronos sound better, but this is not a case of "majority rules." Ask on a different day, you might get a different balance of answers!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I think the Kronos sounds nice, but in my opinion it is very overpriced. I think the Krome is a better value. What you don't get on the Krome sonically vs. the Kronos you can pick up in vst's which true is a compromise but as a result is a lot cheaper.

For instance, I use addictive keys which has 3 pianos which are around 1.3gb each. Its nice that Korg lists the gb's of the sample but after awhile it is a moot point.
I use BFD Eco drums which allows you to build your kit and the sounds have 24 velocities per key.
Mixcraft has VB3 which in itself is wonderful.

*To me, my VST's cover 3 of the engines that are present in the Kronos but not my Krome.

I just think $3,200 for a 61 keyboard is ridiculous (and I am a Korg fan)- one could have TWO awesome digitals for that price. I mean for that price you could have: a
1. Yamaha P155
2. Casio PX850
3. Korg LP380

I felt my Krome was more reasonably priced and offers nice AP/EP's and the organs I can edit as well.
They included a drum kit from the Kronos and I am sad to say the others pale in comparison but I have been spending my time on BFD Eco and not writing songs because I am playing with my vsts too much!

(You can mix and match the pianos)
I see that the "old" Kronos can be had around $2,100- still 2 expensive.

I remember my Motif 6 could have been perhaps $1,500 or so- that is probably what I would pay for a Kronoss

Kawai Es8
Korg Krome 61
Yamaha P125

Well, the RD700NX, despite the variety of on-board tones (i.e. instrument sounds) is essentially a "stage piano".

The Korg Kronos, given its plethora of features and despite its gigabytes of piano samples, is essentially a "workstation". All though the Kronos X 88 can still be used on-stage.

If I were going to consider buying a Kronos, its more for the "workstation" capabilities rather than its "piano" sound alone. If I were in your shoes and I ended up growing tired of the RD700NX's piano sound, I'll just hook it up to a PC/laptop and use any of the available virtual instrument piano softwares out there and save myself a few thousand dollars...if I'm mainly concerned about the piano sound.

Price-wise, I think the Kronos is arguably still over-priced. And if you have plans of keeping the Kronos for years (especially if you think its a real keeper), you have to think about how much you'll be charged to have that touchscreen replaced should it start to wear out later on.

That being said, what Korg did with the Kronos among other things, was merge the world of virtual instruments into an, essentially, computer-based music keyboard (i.e. the Kronos has an Intel processor with RAM plus an SSD running an OS...and I suppose it also has a "motherboard" wherein the RAM and processor are mounted/installed and where the SSD is connected/interfaced).

The use of SSD (and ability to add another one in the Kronos X series) plus user-friendly touchscreen instead of a dizzying number/array of function-buttons refreshes the whole user-interface experience. Adding synthesizer and modelling capabilities (tone-wheel organ/plucked string) increases its sonic palette even more. Add to that the 16-track sequencer and 16-track hard disk recording and an 8" touchscreen and you probably can do away with a PC DAW for a good amount of time.

However, your RD700NX still has hope when you consider hooking it up to a PC or a capable laptop + a good audio-MIDI interface and using it as a controller for, say, Synthogy Ivory American Grand (or other reasonably-priced giga-sampled piano libraries available in the market today) or even Pianoteq 4.5 (+ Bluthner add-on) if you're after piano sound alone.

If you really want the Kronos for its workstation capabilities and the features it offers, it's probably more practical to get the 61-key version of the Kronos X and use it as a 2nd-tier keyboard on top of the RD-700NX. You can just use the RD-700NX to control the Kronos so you can play the piano samples of the Kronos while enjoying the keybed of the RD-700NX. You'd also probably save several hundreds of bucks too. But then again, if budget is not a concern, then I can see no problem in going for the 88-key version of the Kronos X.

PX-5S FA-06 LaunchKey 61 SL-MKII Graphite 49; VST: Pianoteq 6+Bluethner UVI TrueKeys EWQL-SO + Hollywood Strings/Brass, AAS GS-2+LL EP4 Sonokinetic; Mobile DAW ROG G751J: i7 4720 32GB RAM 250+500 GB SSD Scarlett 6i6 TS110A x2; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfiQst_xQwNgKL_FS9OXSKw
A
OP Offline
A
Wow thanks for your help! You know what I would of like to ear? Than Roland has a good sonority... it is a "reference"... and I must learn to like it! laugh

I am not english and it is dificult for me to explain but I feel the sound is... muted on high... like if the lid was closed. I opened it on the software, of course, and the sound is not enough "present"... it is like if the sound is shy, way behind. I bought yesterday a pair of HS8 monitor... it's better... way better... but every time I play I want to say the piano... come on you can do more! laugh

But as I said... maybe my ear is wrong... I am new to piano, I am a cellist, and if you say "get used to this reference piano sound... you have a great instrument"... and I will beleive you!

Thank you again!

I'll read your answer again.

Roland RD-700NX, HS8 studio monitor, AKG701 headphone
R
R
I recently got a Kronos 73 , I also have a cp 5 and while the Kronos is a great workstation with an incredible amount of power for playing the piano I vastly prefer the cp5. The rh3 action is not great and I would swear I am getting in frequent note cut offs when playing the piano sound, and the two piano sounds are not as good as the cp 5, just my opinion.

If you want a digital piano get one, if you want a workstation with a huge variety of sounds get a Kronos.

C
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
C
. . .
I am not english and it is dificult for me to explain but I feel the sound is... muted on high... like if the lid was closed. I opened it on the software, of course, and the sound is not enough "present"... it is like if the sound is shy, way behind. I bought yesterday a pair of HS8 monitor... it's better... way better... but every time I play I want to say the piano... come on you can do more! laugh

. . .

I think the RD700NX has a multi-band, parametric equalizer in its menu.

As an experiment (since you have the HS8 loudspeakers):

. . . Add a +3 db (or even +6 db) "presence boost" with the
. . . equalizer -- a broad hump, Q=1 or Q=2,
. . . centered around 2.5 kHz.

If the sound is "distant" to your ears, that should bring it right up close.

Roland gives you _a lot_ of options to modify the sound. You might find something that makes you happy.

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dissonant overtones when mute rail is engaged
by MattH22 - 08/11/22 08:36 PM
Your piano teacher
by Dscally - 08/11/22 07:25 PM
To RD-2000 owners
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/11/22 07:18 PM
Buying a Yamaha U1?
by ada d. - 08/11/22 05:31 PM
What does a bouncy key action mean?
by Raquel Cruz - 08/11/22 04:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,349
Posts3,215,587
Members106,065
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission