2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (baronzo, emenelton, AlkansBookcase, ee375, astrotoy, 5/1/19249, Chris B, benkeys, Barry_Braksick, 8 invisible), 1,597 guests, and 484 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for your kind words with regards to my piece. Just to be clear, my video was shot in my living room on my digital Roland LX15. The 9' grand piano you see (it is actually a Steinway D) as well as the Bösendorfer logo were added using special (and silly) effects... smile

Jazztpt - "Where did my love go" What a great piece you wrote! Your performance is top notch as always! I am glad that you are back in the bar! Add words to this and it will climb the music charts!! I really enjoyed your other piece too. It is new to me. That is great bar music! The ending sounded a bit abrupt though. Was it intentional? Thanks for sharing!

Ladypayne - Great performance and I really like the view from your piano!!

Kenjazz - Loved it Ken! Great playing and I am amazed how you pull all the other instruments in like this. It must be really fun to record a piece as great as this. Well done!!!

Last edited by Amaruk; 10/22/13 07:54 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
ladypayne,

Very nice take on How Great Thou Art. My mom loves that song and I'd bet she would really like that style of playing as well. One day I hope to post "my own arrangement" of a tune, I am current hopeless without some sheet music to get me started.

ken,

That's a warm and sweet take on My Funny Valentine. Not my favorite "sung" song but it's a great one for piano instrumentals and your rendition is very fine.

Jazztpt,

Nice tune you made there. I like that bouncy style. All of you tracks in any style (cf. Someday My Prince Will Come) have a great rhythm and groove to them.

Last edited by Brent H; 10/23/13 07:38 AM.

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Starr Keys

Brent -- So good to hear someone besides me doing vocals & accompaniment on pianoworld to classic standards (Bill M. does em once in a while but not nearly enough for my taste). We have the same goals too--about half my vocal videos were done while playing and half to my prerecorded accompaniment. I love the blowy horn-like quality of your voice (perfect for jazz) and the accompaniment was perfect too. More please!

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I am acutely self conscious about posting vocals, much more so than I ever was with just piano playing. It helps a lot to know it's well received.

One of my favorite singers of jazz/standards is the trumpet player Chet Baker. I can't really imitate his breathy upper register way of singing but I love the way he can sing a verse, play a little trumpet break, then singing another and you can tell it's the same guy behind the voice and the horn.

Maybe one day I'll be able to try a Chet-esque rendition of "I Fall in Love Too Easily", very cool stuff.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Starr! How great it is to see you here. Looks like you've been quite busy with music - that is fantastic!

Haven't been as participating as much and it's been great listening to everyone's music. I hope everyone's doing well.

Here's a few from the past few months for your review, one a standard, the rest are improvisations.

Solitude
https://app.box.com/s/jcymtltsfrjr41pz0s4z
Sedentary Blues
https://app.box.com/s/wqaj1jg8y22q46fvq71m

Upwards
https://app.box.com/s/l7ulwjp5tvhpp7hektao
Emergence
https://app.box.com/s/tji7p4yujzph76db8fug

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Glen,

Great way to go with "Solitude", love the slow buildup. Would have never occurred to me to try that.

Sedentary Blues was awesome. Not QUITE enough to get me up and moving at 6:30am but nearly so!

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Thanks, Brent! Glad you liked my attempt at swinging a bit with Solitude and Sedentary. Yes, you can also tell that the proper changes in time is work-in-progress. The other two are free-plays.

Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Hey Glen, no knock on your timing intended. I was commenting on my slug-like-ness early AM before the second cup of coffee kicks in.

I sometimes think I'm the "straightest" man on the planet. I'll try to put a little swing into something I'm playing in a piano lesson and then the teacher says "That sounds nice played straight like that, now see if you can swing it". D'oh! I hate it when that happens.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Inlanding

Solitude - A rich red wine needed to accompany this slightly dark piece with pleasant reminiscent overtones.

Sedentary Blues - Catchy and quirky . . like watching a couple dancing by themselves . .

Upwards - Scottish dourness interlaced with lighter, gladder moments along life`s dusty (wet?) road? With a p[ub at the end of it. .gotta be a pub.

Emergence - Deep roots and scattered showers! Plants are growing here. Piano sounds like a quality instrument and those compositions no less so.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B

Last edited by Brent H; 10/25/13 10:55 AM.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
S
S
Great stuff this month.

Here is my contribution, Gershwin's Summertime (arr. by Lee Evans).

https://app.box.com/s/237qjx8mk79n7avga2sb

(perhaps a bit late, since it doesn't feel like summer anymore wink )

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
It's never too late for Summertime!

Your version is very wistful sounding to me, like the way it feels to think back on Summertime when it's October and the fall winds are chilly.

Outstanding.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Very nice playing. I like how you went in and out of time in the various section. It sounds like a very sweet arrangement.

Look forward to more, Stumbler

Thanks, Peter! so glad you had a different reaction with each tune!
Glen

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Stumbler

A good original sounding arrangement of this popular song. It does convey the feel of summer in somwhere other than the UK.. . Nice nice!!

"[Linked Image]"
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Hey Peter, I spent a week in the UK this September and y'all were definitely having summer while I was there. I think it was the Monday afternoon and again most of the day on Thursday, at least until it cooled off and got foggy. But it was a lovely summer while it lasted!

Last edited by Brent H; 10/25/13 06:41 PM.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
Brent, we`ve had the best summer in years! Usually we get nothing more than a few days of sunny weather amid a backdrop of rain. Heavy rain. This year the backdrop was showers. . . . grin

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
Hey, all. It's been a while. I'm hoping to upload more regularly on my Uni break, so I've come back to the piano bar!

Stumbler: Interesting voicings and arrangement in the accompaniment. Nice work -- not at all how I'd play it... I always go for lyrical, but it's good to have different feels under your belt for variation. Wouldn't be good to play the same thing all night at a piano bar.

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
Glen - four beautiful sounding entries. I really liked how you were able to tastefully switch into walking bass on Sedentary Blues and keep the temp increasing at just the right pace throughout. Neat. The two legato pieces, Upwards and Emergence were wonderful. I know that you intend them as whole numbers, but I can also hear them as perfect extended intros ala Brad Mehldau. Then breaking into a simple melody with some sort of a rhythmic groove. mmmm

Stumbler - Great arrangement and playing on Summertime! That rising and falling chromatic counterpoint is killer. Well done.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Glen - great playing on all four tunes, as you know I really admire your technique/touch and the piano sounds lovely. Solitude is a hard tune to play and I really like what you did with it here. Of the 2 impros Emergence really caught my ear, love the chords on that, one to develop further perhaps?

Stumbler - Summertime as it should be played , authentic to the original style and a very good arrangement. I guess the arranger is not the British comedian Lee Evans but someone else:-)

Brent H - with you on Chet Baker, more of that style please.
Yes we have had a good summer here but September was a bit hit and miss so you came just as the wrong time. Having said that the weather is always hit or miss which is why we British are always talking about it, never know what you are going to get. I have just been down to the coast for an hour and in that time we had warm no wind , wind , wind a bit cooler , sun , cloud and rain.........and then the sun came out again lol.

Jazztpt

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
In truth, I was joking about the "Monday afternoon and part of Thursday". I was down south at the Kent coast the first week of September playing golf. Everywhere else in England the weather was very hit-or-miss but right along the coast it stayed sunny, breezy and unseasonably warm (20C-25C in the afternoons) the entire time.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
M
M
So I spent tonight videoing and uploading two videos to Youtube. That's a record! What else is a record? 50 videos! What else? I did my first one-take recording. (Dearly Beloved.):)

I love sight-reading! One day I will master it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disagreeing with teacher
by Mikester - 04/23/24 07:29 PM
Keyscape Midi Learning Issue
by markmasefield - 04/23/24 06:30 PM
La foule, key
by hast66 - 04/23/24 01:17 PM
RCM Assessment
by mspianoteacher - 04/23/24 12:55 PM
Roland LX-706 improvements
by engblom - 04/23/24 12:29 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,474
Posts3,350,539
Members111,692
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission