2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Jeff: That's totally cool. Don't take this too seriously though, I'm really only expressing my simple belief of quality over quantity, because I really think you could totally own one of these if you narrowed in on it. I'm aware of your goals and I know you just want to play everything that you love, which is totally fine.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Joel: Better. smile

But still, much of what you're saying about the 4th isn't so, and this part:

Originally Posted by JoelW
....The coda....is not technically sound

....is utterly false. There can be musical quibbles (and I'd have some, especially that I think the very end is just brusque), but it's plenty technically sound.

My best guess about this is that you're judging from the technical finish and musical preferences of a particular performance by some 'unidentified' pianist. grin

I think there is more than just quibbles, Mark. Listen to the left hand octaves just before the grand descending double octave line. Rushed and not accurate!

J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
I will take your suggestion to heart. And once I have some free time, after the Mozart and the mazurka recital, I will choose a single work to zero in on.

As I recall, most of the preparation time that went into this concert was focused on learning the Sonata. I spent a huge amount of time just learning it and that was all time that was taken from the Scherzi. In hindsight, I would have been better off just playing the Berceuse (which I think came out extremely well) and the Scherzi.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Joel,
I will be much more frank than Mark, or Jeffrey have been. You simply don't know what you're talking about. I like the fact that you're trying to put your finger on something that you're missing with the recording(s), and while Jeffrey may benefit from extra practise time (as would all of us), he is more than technically capable of playing the scherzi. Keep thinking about what you're listening to and what it is that you believe you want to hear. In this case, you're lucky, because Jeffrey is of a character that is more than accepting of wayward criticism. I think you're intelligent enough to figure out what it is that you truly want to hear here, but you simply lack experience (as does your ear).

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
By the way, for what it's worth, I agree with Joel on much of what he's said here. The performances sound like they're hanging by a thread. The fourth is quite bad actually. Listen to 37:26 in the recording. That's not just a bit of sloppiness - that's a bigger problem. He repeated it twice. Rushed and unmusical. I will give more specifics to whoever wants them.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Jeffrey: Try not to pay too much attention to what looks wrong, because it is.

Poly: NO. smile
Not just that you shouldn't have said it, but that it's wrong -- as stated, meaning that maybe valid criticisms do exist underneath what you said, but not as you said it.

J
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
J
Please close this thread.

Gladly.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission