2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (crab89, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, 8 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Amaruk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
[EDIT: Sorry, I did not see the other post on this very topic further down]

During a recent Haydn piano concert in Sweden a cell phone rang TWICE ...

Here is a video that shows how the pianist/conductor Christian Zacharias handled the situation the second time the phone rang. Kudos to him for handling it this well!!! Forgetting to turn off your phone in the first place is bad, but letting it go off a second time...

[video:youtube]TAaU8yPXA1A[/video]

Last edited by Amaruk; 10/25/13 08:09 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Original.

People who stop cold in concerts to "handle" disruptions are the worst. Far greater pianists have endured far worse, and stopping cold not only makes it very awkward, but it demonstrates your inability to deal with the faintest distraction.

Amaruk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
Original.

I missed that topic. Sorry for the double post.

Amaruk Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ScriabinAddict
People who stop cold in concerts to "handle" disruptions are the worst. Far greater pianists have endured far worse, and stopping cold not only makes it very awkward, but it demonstrates your inability to deal with the faintest distraction.

Interesting point and I understand how you see this. To me this is more about respect and not the ability to handle distractions in itself. People pay a lot of money to go to these concerts and for a person to disrespect the other concert goers and above all, the soloist/orchestra, like this is something I find hard to understand.

Last edited by Amaruk; 10/25/13 08:15 PM.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
One could just as well state that far lesser pianists have refused to endure far less. One could argue that the cell phone disruption has already been awkward. I don't think the issue is black and white.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/25/13 08:29 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

No! People who have no respect for the composer, the music, or the performer and leave their damned cell phones on or just HAVE to text, or cough, or unwrap a piece of candy, or whatever are the worst.
It isn't about who has endured worse. No one should HAVE to endure this kind of thing. One should not HAVE to deal with distractions. It's ridiculous and anyone stating that the performer is creating an awkward instance if completely off base, since it is the AUDIENCE MEMBER creating the instance! DUH! Anyone with such a mindset, clearly, has no experience performing.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by stores

No! People who have no respect for the composer, the music, or the performer and leave their damned cell phones on or just HAVE to text, or cough, or unwrap a piece of candy, or whatever are the worst.
It isn't about who has endured worst. No one should HAVE to endure this kind of thing. One should not HAVE to deal with distractions. It's ridiculous and anyone stating that the performer is creating an awkward instance if completely off base, since it is the AUDIENCE MEMBER creating the instance! DUH! Anyone with such a mindset, clearly, has no experience performing.

Whew! Coffee tomorrow?

Jason

It isn't about who has endured worst. No one should HAVE to endure this kind of thing. One should not HAVE to deal with distractions. It's ridiculous and anyone stating that the performer is creating an awkward instance if completely off base, since it is the AUDIENCE MEMBER creating the instance! DUH! Anyone with such a mindset, clearly, has no experience performing.

I think we can agree it is the fault of the audience member, but to stop dead in the middle of a piece when you are CLEARLY able to continue is just ridiculous. If you want to play with no distractions, stick to the recordings studio (Or better yet your living room). Even worse are certain world class performers (*Cough* Schiff *Cough* Brendull *Cough*) who stop dead in the middle of concerts and scold the audience for their "misbehavior". Imagine if Hoffmann, Rachmaninoff, Horowitz, Ricter etc. had done such things. (P.s. I have performed quite a bit, but I'm still a high school student so it doesn't count grin)

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
A pianist once went seamlessly into an improvisation on the cellphone tune in the same style as the piece being played, then just as seamlessly returned us all to the mood of the program.

The best reminder I heard was just before each concert at the "proms" series.

It starts off as a quiet cellphone sound that gradually gets louder as everyone either looks round in disgust or checks their own phones. Eventually it gets loud enough that it can't be an ordinary phone. Then it stops and everybody realises and is pleasantly reminded. There is always a little laughter.

No words are ever spoken. None needed.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Imagine if Hoffmann, Rachmaninoff, Horowitz, Ricter etc. had done such things. (P.s. I have performed quite a bit, but I'm still a high school student so it doesn't count grin)

Those pianists performed before cell phones were invented. But, since you're still in high school, you wouldn't have any experience with that kind of world.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
People who stop cold in concerts to "handle" disruptions are the worst.

They are the best. And the smartest.

Because they know that what they are doing is supported by the majority of people in the audience, and it is a message to any potential miscreants that public humiliation is a distinct possibility if they don't know how to act.

There is always the possibility that the problem person in the audience is getting some perverse and pathological enjoyment from disrupting a concert. I've had the distinct impression a few times that when a person is making noise during a classical concert, it's coming from some kind of infantile need for attention on the part of a vastly over-entitled and self-absorbed idiot. They just can't bear that the person on stage is getting all that wonderful attention, and they are getting none at all. So they make disruptive noises.

M
M
Originally Posted by Amaruk

Interesting point and I understand how you see this. To me this is more about respect and not the ability to handle distractions in itself. People pay a lot of money to go to these concerts and for a person to disrespect the other concert goers and above all, the soloist/orchestra, like this is something I find hard to understand.
I think it said this was the 2nd time the phone went off. I would have let the first time go, but if it happens again? Come on. You can have it on vibrate.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think we can agree it is the fault of the audience member, but to stop dead in the middle of a piece when you are CLEARLY able to continue is just ridiculous. If you want to play with no distractions, stick to the recordings studio (Or better yet your living room). Even worse are certain world class performers (*Cough* Schiff *Cough* Brendull *Cough*) who stop dead in the middle of concerts and scold the audience for their "misbehavior". Imagine if Hoffmann, Rachmaninoff, Horowitz, Ricter etc. had done such things. (P.s. I have performed quite a bit, but I'm still a high school student so it doesn't count grin)

I was planning to type a long and mean reply.

But as I was finishing the post I see you are just a high-schooler. So I abandoned my plan.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Alan Lai

I was planning to type a long and mean reply.

But as I was finishing the post I see you are just a high-schooler. So I abandoned my plan.

Why would that change your reply?

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wr

There is always the possibility that the problem person in the audience is getting some perverse and pathological enjoyment from disrupting a concert. I've had the distinct impression a few times that when a person is making noise during a classical concert, it's coming from some kind of infantile need for attention on the part of a vastly over-entitled and self-absorbed idiot. They just can't bear that the person on stage is getting all that wonderful attention, and they are getting none at all. So they make disruptive noises.

That's quite a stretch. Maybe we should leave that sort of analysis to Mark C.

I think many of these disruptions come from people who are on call. I work in IT, and just like the medical profession, we are often on call 24x7. There is no option to simply leave the cell phone at home, because, in my own case, a response is required within 15 minutes or additional pages will begin escalating to upper management.

But the solution is as simple as Morodiene has said: Turn the damned sound settings to vibrate.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wr
People who stop cold in concerts to "handle" disruptions are the worst.

They are the best. And the smartest.

Because they know that what they are doing is supported by the majority of people in the audience, and it is a message to any potential miscreants that public humiliation is a distinct possibility if they don't know how to act.

These people need to be put in a mental hospital.

Regards,

Polyphonist
M
M
You should look up griefing.

Where people go into games purely to disrupt and annoy other people. This behaviour extends into the real world too.

I want to be so good at Piano like VK, that Roland gives me a free piano too!
Originally Posted by Old Man
Originally Posted by wr

That's quite a stretch. Maybe we should leave that sort of analysis to Mark C.

I think many of these disruptions come from people who are on call. I work in IT, and just like the medical profession, we are often on call 24x7. There is no option to simply leave the cell phone at home, because, in my own case, a response is required within 15 minutes or additional pages will begin escalating to upper management.

But the solution is as simple as Morodiene has said: Turn the damned sound settings to vibrate.

The 24 hour on-call is not even an excuse, as per your last sentence: set it to vibrate.

I actually turn my smartphone OFF during concerts. How many of the audiences do that?

Originally Posted by Mken
You should look up griefing.

Where people go into games purely to disrupt and annoy other people. This behaviour extends into the real world too.

I don't think TK or griefing is the same. Those people (TKer or griefers) have the intention to irritate and damage normal online gameplay. The anonymity of internet fuels such behavior.

In concert halls, first of all, they are all REAL people with their own face. It's some kind of social gathering. I, till today, still tend to think those people disrupting concerts are mostly not intended to do so, just temporarily forgot to turn the phone off.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission