2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 9 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
OP Offline
D
On the subject on cell phones interrupting concerts, here is live footage of Christian Zacharias stopping in the middle of a piece due to an extremly obnoxious ringtone.

http://www.gsoplay.se/en/video/haydn-killed-cell-phone

It's just sad really, when you think about all the preperation a musician goes through to polish their playing, and it is ruined because one person in the audience is too dumb to turn their phone off.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Ever seen this?

Regards,

Polyphonist
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Cell phone users are the new smokers. Don't they realize it's all a bunch of inconsequential twaddle...???

Nobody wants to hear about your colonoscopy, your husband's younger girlfriends, what you had for dinner last night, what your idiot child said, etc. etc. Put a lid on it, ferhevvinssake...

The world will thank you.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I like Buggs' direct approach.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The show must go on. No one would do this for a crying baby. No one [should] do this if they make a huge mistake. You push through it. Never stop.

It's not like there was an obnoxious drunk in the crowd who was genuinely a problem. That was just a little cell phone ringer -- hardly audible until he actually stopped playing.

Originally Posted by JoelW
The show must go on. No one would do this for a crying baby. No one [should] do this if they make a huge mistake. You push through it. Never stop.

It's not like there was an obnoxious drunk in the crowd who was genuinely a problem. That was just a little cell phone ringer -- hardly audible until he actually stopped playing.

I agree. For heaven's sake - I have acute panic disorder and managed to "perform" in public as a teacher and public speaker. Disruptions, diversions and disrespect are part of any public show. Choosing to stand up comes without an option to stop. One exception: you just plain faint away from nerves. Other than that the show goes on.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I gotta be honest -- when I first read the title of this thread, my initial thought was that a time traveler had dropped their cell phone from a high place and had struck Haydn in the head, killing him.

A
A
^when I saw this thread, i had a moment of stupidity and thought that newly found evidence showed that it was Haydn's cell phone that lead to his death. Forgot cell phones weren't invented yet

Last edited by A Guy; 10/25/13 06:11 PM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
It is also considered rude to bring an infant to a concert/recital. Babysitters were invented long ago and churches even have "crying rooms."

Marty in Minnesota

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Cell phones I'm not sure about what's appropriate but I have never been to a concert where someone even brought a baby. In a normal concert venue I doubt they'd even allow one in.

If the performer makes a mistake that's in an entirely different category than someone else causing the disruption.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I have to agree with Zacharias on this issue. But first, one doesn't bring an infant to a formal concert, so being interrupted by an infant crying should not be part of the argument.

Secondly, not only did the cell phone ring at a quiet moment in the concerto, the cell phone owner didn't turn the cell phone off, but just let it ring on.

Cell phones and concert etiquette have existed together long enough that people should know that their devices must be turned off in a concert. That occurrence has to be the height of ignorance.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I'd have probably gone nuts. I think people that interrupt concerts (or movies) with their cell phones ought to be put in stocks for a couple of days with the ringtone playing continuously in their ear.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by davaofthekeys

It's just sad really, when you think about all the preperation a musician goes through to polish their playing, and it is ruined because one person in the audience is too dumb to turn their phone off.

I agree. And don't forget the disrespect to all the concert goers who go to the concert to enjoy lovely live music. To me the biggest thing is that the phone went off not once, but twice!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
B
B
Mikhail Pletnev once played all the way through Beethoven's Waldstein when the venue's fire alarm went off, without batting an eyelid. Because he stayed put and kept playing, and no official came in to shout 'Fire!', everyone stayed in their seats.

And the whole concert was recorded by the BBC for future broadcast. I was looking forward very much to hear the Waldstein accompanied by the fire alarm (or should that be the fire alarm accompanied by Beethoven?) when the concert was eventually broadcast, but the announcer instead explained what happened and said that he was going to substitute Pletnev's CD recording of it in its place instead. What a spoilsport....

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
OP Offline
D
I think the audience has a responsibility to be quiet during classical concerts. It's not that hard to be quiet for an hour. What would the audience say if the pianist was coughing in the middle of a solo? Have you ever seen that happen? No. Because the pianist knows how to hold it in.

Here is my view on noise from the audience from a real life example: I had tickets to Martha Argerich playing the Ravel G major Concerto some years back, but unluckily I got a persistent cough on the same day. I stuffed myself full of nose-spray and cough drops, got dressed up and went to the concert anyway hoping to keep it together. As the audience was settling in and the orchestra tuning up, the cough came back, and I knew I couldn't suppress it. At this point, I had two options: stay and ruin the performance for everybody, or give up the expensive ticket and go home.

Naturally I did the latter. I have zero tolerance even towards myself shocked

B
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
... not only did the cell phone ring at a quiet moment in the concerto, the cell phone owner didn't turn the cell phone off, but just let it ring on.

Cell phones and concert etiquette have existed together long enough that people should know that their devices must be turned off in a concert. That occurrence has to be the height of ignorance.

I almost have to wonder if these two points are related - it was so obvious the offender should have silenced their phone that when it started ringing they were too embarrassed to reach for it and turn it off, which would have revealed they were the one who had committed the social faux pas!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bennevis
Mikhail Pletnev once played all the way through Beethoven's Waldstein when the venue's fire alarm went off, without batting an eyelid. Because he stayed put and kept playing, and no official came in to shout 'Fire!', everyone stayed in their seats.

What Pletnev did could have endangered many people. He should have stopped until it was determined that it was a false alarm and resume after the alarm had been silenced. It is hardly a situation where the Waldstein is of the most importance.

Marty in Minnesota

The thing is, that concert goer, if has any respect for the performers and the rest of the audience, should have turned off his/her phone before the concert started. It's basic manner, like you don't show other people what you are chewing on dinner table.

The reason why you didn't hear it clearly enough is because of the microphone settings. Most of those are pointing toward the piano/instruments, instead of the audience.

The show must go on, yes. Then where do you draw the line? Until the phone rings exactly a augmented 4th above your melody line?

Last edited by Alan Lai; 10/25/13 10:58 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Alan Lai
The show must go on, yes. Then where do you draw the line? Until the phone rings exactly a augmented 4th above your melody line?

Things will take care of themselves.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Alan Lai

The thing is, that concert goer, if has any respect for the performers and the rest of the audience, should have turned off his/her phone before the concert started. It's basic manner, like you don't show other people what you are chewing on dinner table.

The reason why you didn't hear it clearly enough is because of the microphone settings. Most of those are pointing toward the piano/instruments, instead of the audience.

Marc-Andre Hamelin's trick is the best. He starts playing this. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission