Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
125 registered members (Animisha, anotherscott, Adypiano, Bobby Badd, Alex Hutor, Amedeus, ando, 31 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano History/value? #2171783
10/25/13 11:31 AM
10/25/13 11:31 AM
T
Twertsy Offline OP
Twertsy  Offline OP
T

Hello all, newbie here. I have an old piano that was left in my townhouse. Manufacture says Leeds Piano Company. Appears to be zero information available via the internet. Can anyone tell us about it? 2 numbers on the parts. 36129 and 2709

I tried to attach pictures.

Pic 1 Pic 2

Attached Files image.jpgimage.jpg
Last edited by Twertsy; 10/25/13 11:51 AM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Piano History/value? [Re: Twertsy] #2171792
10/25/13 11:44 AM
10/25/13 11:44 AM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Online Content

Georgia, USA
Hi Twertsy, and welcome to Piano World!

I have not figured out how to post attachments here either...

However, here are some excellent instruction (origionally posted by our own Monica K. smile ) on posting digital photos into the thread windows.

Rick

"Here are some instructions I've given on other occasions...

1.) First step, and this is critical, resize your photos to about 480-640 pixels. You accomplish this through photoshop or some other photo editing software.

2.) Then go to the PianoWorld uploading site:

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/fileuploader2.html

This is going to give you a screen where you enter your login name, e-mail address, and then you browse for the location of your photo on your computer which you then attach. There will also be a box that says "file information". I have no idea what they really want there, but I just made up a title like 'first picture of new piano." Then you click submit. That is going to bring you to a new screen that will ask you to search for your name among submitters. This is the most confusing part of the process, because that part of the web site is not working and you will not find your name there. Just ignore it, and instead go back to the main file uploader site and repeat the process for each of your remaining photos.

3.) Within a few minutes, you should receive an e-mail from PianoWorld giving you the URL for your newly uploaded photos. You'll get one e-mail per photo. You will need to copy and paste these URLs into your message.

4.) To do that, go back to the thread where you want to post your photo. Click on the "full reply" box. This will bring up all the options you need. Write whatever text you want, and when you're ready to include the photo, click on the fourth icon from the left, the one to the right of the little envelope (which will say "enter an image" when you pass your cursor over it). That will pull up a little box in your message where you can paste the URL for your first photo. And then just repeat as necessary. But it is CRUCIAL to click that little "image" box; otherwise, all that goes in is the URL itself, not the photo in all its glory.

Hope this helps!"

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Piano History/value? [Re: Rickster] #2171794
10/25/13 11:53 AM
10/25/13 11:53 AM
T
Twertsy Offline OP
Twertsy  Offline OP
T

Thanks Rickster....what a PITA!

Links to photos now in original post

Re: Piano History/value? [Re: Twertsy] #2171805
10/25/13 12:14 PM
10/25/13 12:14 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
You paid nothing for it. The previous owner did not want to pay to have it removed. So the value is at most zero. Unfortunate, but that is the case all too often these days.

Semipro Tech
Re: Piano History/value? [Re: BDB] #2171816
10/25/13 12:37 PM
10/25/13 12:37 PM
T
Twertsy Offline OP
Twertsy  Offline OP
T

Originally Posted by BDB
You paid nothing for it. The previous owner did not want to pay to have it removed. So the value is at most zero. Unfortunate, but that is the case all too often these days.

So, by that logic, my buddy just bought a farm and all content which, to his surprise, included 5 vintage Shelby mustangs in the barn. Since the previous owner didn't have them removed, they must be worth nothing?

I don't care if it's worth anything, just curious about it because we cannot even find any manufacturer info.

Re: Piano History/value? [Re: Twertsy] #2171825
10/25/13 12:54 PM
10/25/13 12:54 PM
Georgia, USA
Rickster Online content
Rickster  Online Content

Georgia, USA
There were hundreds or even thousands of piano names/brands back in the glory days of acoustic piano manufacturing.

I have heard of that brand, but don’t know much about it. I had an old upright once with the name “Cadillac”, and, if my memory serves me correctly, it was manufactured in Michigan (no kidding).

I paid a $100 for it, had the key-tops replaced and refinished the exterior and sold it for less than I had in it (the story of my life smile ).

I’m sure some of the experts will chime in soon with more info…

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Piano History/value? [Re: Rickster] #2171839
10/25/13 01:24 PM
10/25/13 01:24 PM
France
J
Jean Claude Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jean Claude  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

France
Originally Posted by Rickster
There were hundreds or even thousands of piano names/brands back in the glory days of acoustic piano manufacturing.

I have heard of that brand, but don’t know much about it. I had an old upright once with the name “Cadillac”, and, if my memory serves me correctly, it was manufactured in Michigan (no kidding).

I paid a $100 for it, had the key-tops replaced and refinished the exterior and sold it for less than I had in it (the story of my life smile ).

I’m sure some of the experts will chime in soon with more info…

Rick

Goodness, I happened to go to Cadillac a few weeks ago. It is a pleasant enough little town but whoever would have thought of naming a piano after it?

Re: Piano History/value? [Re: Twertsy] #2171854
10/25/13 01:54 PM
10/25/13 01:54 PM
Sandy Eggo, California
O
OperaTenor Offline
2000 Post Club Member
OperaTenor  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O

Sandy Eggo, California
I just looked it up in the Pierce Piano Atlas, which is the best reference volume we have in the business. Leeds is listed, but there is no information or manufacturing data.

If you could post a photo of the entire piano, and maybe one looking down at the action from the open lid, it might give us an idea of just what you have, and whether it would be advisable to have a tech assess it for you, if you're interested in keeping it.

Good luck.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
Re: Piano History/value? [Re: Twertsy] #2171901
10/25/13 03:46 PM
10/25/13 03:46 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
Originally Posted by Twertsy
Originally Posted by BDB

So, by that logic, my buddy just bought a farm and all content which, to his surprise, included 5 vintage Shelby mustangs in the barn. Since the previous owner didn't have them removed, they must be worth nothing?

I don't care if it's worth anything, just curious about it because we cannot even find any manufacturer info.

The cars are a more complicated situation, because cars have registered titles which are not transferred with the sale of the property that they are on. They will not have any value until that is taken care of, and that will cost time and money.

Semipro Tech
Re: Piano History/value? [Re: Twertsy] #2171921
10/25/13 04:24 PM
10/25/13 04:24 PM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
Minnesota Marty  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Rochester MN
Like Jim, I kept coming up with nada. Pierce seems to be the only reference and all that confirms is 'once upon a time.'

One possibility I can think of is that it is a store stencil built by Lyon & Healy or Gulbransen. Gulbransen was more apt to do this as L&H was more proprietary with their brand.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Re: Piano History/value? [Re: Twertsy] #2172126
10/26/13 12:54 AM
10/26/13 12:54 AM
Phoenix, AZ
C
Chloe J. Scott Offline
Chloe J. Scott  Offline
C

Phoenix, AZ
Their value is only what someone would pay you for it. With an old piano, unless it's something desirable (i.e. Steinway or such), you'd have a hard time finding anybody to pay anything for it. Most likely it's value is less than zero because it would cost you money to have it removed, assuming that you wanted it to be, which is probably why it was left behind in the first place. But if you think it's just peachy and decided to keep it then the value would be irrelevant.

Re: Piano History/value? [Re: Twertsy] #2172227
10/26/13 08:25 AM
10/26/13 08:25 AM
Rochester MN
Minnesota Marty Offline

Minnesota Marty  Offline

7000 Post Club Member

Rochester MN
I think I may have found something.

There is a very good chance that it was built by Cable Piano Company (founded 1880). This is going back to when it was the parent company of various smaller companies, many of which carried "Cable" in their name. In 1890, the company consolidated with Conover and later purchased Schiller. Schiller was their top of the line product, but they produced many other "brands" including the Kingsbury, Conover, and Wellington. They also produced a fair number of 'stencils' for local stores.

My best guess is that the piano is a Conover-Cable and most likely marketed by a music store carrying the name of "Leeds."

Twertsy, are you able to provide additional photos? A full shot of the piano, a photo of the plate (metal frame), and the name, if any, on the key cover (fallboard), would be helpful. (Both of the photos you provided were the same.

I hope you don't mind, I've added the photo here.
[Linked Image]

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Collapsing pinky, causing hand & wrist pain
by forgottenlife. 07/18/19 10:08 AM
Single replacement key for Steinway D?
by jsilva. 07/18/19 09:39 AM
Fantasy vs Polonaise-fantasy vs Barcarole
by JoelW. 07/18/19 09:34 AM
Feedback for Rondo alla Turca (Mozart)
by hyena. 07/18/19 08:52 AM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,061
Posts2,849,418
Members93,915
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission