2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,833 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
S
Great! Keep me posted. I'm especially interested in how long it takes you to feel comfortable with the part taught in the first video, and how many minutes a day you're spending on it.

Note that in my blog, I go over a little bit from the sheet music after each video. My current blog posts might be too basic for you, but it will get more involved as I go. Here is the blog post with the first lesson:

http://www.pianoonlinemusic.com/piano-online-lesson-play-fur-elise-1/

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Warner
Great! Keep me posted. I'm especially interested in how long it takes you to feel comfortable with the part taught in the first video, and how many minutes a day you're spending on it.

Note that in my blog, I go over a little bit from the sheet music after each video. My current blog posts might be too basic for you, but it will get more involved as I go. Here is the blog post with the first lesson:

http://www.pianoonlinemusic.com/piano-online-lesson-play-fur-elise-1/

No not too basic- I like how you present it. Had a long day in training session for my new job ( next week I start work part time so will have much more time for piano)- so am only now going to practise a little on Fur Elise. I don't like playing past 10pm- thinking of the neighbours.I think it was about 30 minutes on it yesterday evening.I'm going to keep practising it for a few nights. I'll let you know how I get on! No practise Thursday though as I'm going to a Rachmaninov concert straight from work!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I don't know what happened there....just spent about 25 minutes on it and I was able to play it many times in a row without fluffing- I have never done that before- I always fluff.
I also found myself becoming much smoother moving hand positions- getting the left hand in position as I started playing the right hand notes- not easy for me either as I have such small hands.
I found myself not thinking but just playing it in a sort other state of mind; hard to explain. In fact if I thought anything that's when the fluffs happened.
Perhaps it is Beethoven's two portraits on top of the piano- doing my best not to disgrace myself under his watchful eyes ha. I have also got Clara Schumann, Chopin and Liszt there too.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 10/21/13 04:56 PM.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Fur Elise on electric guitar- really the most extraordinary version of anything by Beethoven I have heard on guitar- proof of how timeless Beethoven is- if one had never heard Fur Elise before, one would think
this was a twentieth century composition. What do you all think of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnc4T26NslA

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 10/22/13 04:38 PM.
S
S
That's a nice video - I love heavy versions of classical music. Sounds like it's going well for you. Have you learned the whole first movement yet?

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
Fur Elise on electric guitar- really the most extraordinary version of anything by Beethoven I have heard on guitar- proof of how timeless Beethoven is- if one had never heard Fur Elise before, one would think

That's a nice video - I love heavy versions of classical music. Sounds like it's going well for you. Have you learned the whole first movement yet?

You guys should take a look at my Beethoven Fantasy.

Regards,

Polyphonist
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

You guys should take a look at my Beethoven Fantasy.

Oddly enough, I posted this to RST two weeks ago. It's a great arrangement of the third movement of Moonlight Sonata. I've always thought some of Beethoven's pieces would translate to metal well.

What and where is your Beethoven Fantasy, Poly?

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nooooooo! That'd take me years lol. I have yet to start the second video. Haven't played since Wed. I have been knackered with early starts for my new job. I also went to a concert Thursday night.I slept really late today- and had jobs round the house to do. My house is rivalling Beethoven's ha ha.
I aim to play a bit more later.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by AimeeO
What and where is your Beethoven Fantasy, Poly?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Regards,

Polyphonist
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Very moving documentary on Beethoven. It is an old one and the picture quality is fuzzy- bit it's worth watching. Anyone know what sonata it is at 38:07?

There is a very poignant quote from the reading at Beethoven's funeral:

"If ever the power of his creations overwhelmed you like an approaching storm...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byCGtCTwLwQ0

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/05/13 03:26 PM.
N
N
Originally Posted by AimeeO

Oddly enough, I posted this to RST two weeks ago. It's a great arrangement of the third movement of Moonlight Sonata. I've always thought some of Beethoven's pieces would translate to metal well.

I can play 4 chords on the guitar, but I would love to get the accompaniment track to that YouTube and play along on the piano. Sounds like that would be a lot of fun!

Working on Beethoven's Appassionata Sonata, Mvt 3.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
You should have a go!

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Anyone know what sonata it is at 38:07?

It's the opening of the 4th piano concerto.The piano plays a short solo.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Yes, I found that out earlier this evening thanks Timmy. I love the way the piano and orchestra are "answering" each other.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Amazon have cottoned on to my Beethoven needs and sent me a link to the Thayer biography on Kindle for less than a quid! I delayed not a second to add this to my Kindle.
Of course, I prefer paper books but it is also nice to have a light weight reading device for the boring bus journeys!
Luckily nobody seemed to notice me laughing on the bus home today, as I was reading Beethoven's letters about his "vile" servants who he threw books at to make them get on with their work!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Life-Lu...k/dp/B00EVB26CO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-...

T
T
I've recently joined PW having taken back to the piano in the last year and I've fallen under the spell of Beethoven where it was Bach in school years and years ago. I've also been making my first foray into the Pathetique this past year and enjoy it more and more as the mind gets it under the fingers.

Just recently watched the BBC Beethoven. Very enjoyable.

And currently listening to the Sokolov Paris 2002.
His Beethoven is so fresh and full of life, it is really hard to fathom.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Glad to see this thread.
The reason I got into piano again was first because of Beethoven..my long time goal is to play Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement. smile
Of course, as I get more and more into classical, I am falling in love with many more composers and pieces. Some which are maybe beyond what I will be able to reach since I started as an adult but I for sure wont quit working to get there.
As my first official classical piece I just finished Fur Elise.
This was a piece I never intended to learn...it seemed so dull and tired already (probably thanks to a version I dislike so much by Richard Clayderman).
In any case, after listening to Valentina Lisitsa, I learned that there is a lot of beauty on that piece again and I am thrilled to be able to play it now.
Next stop is Moonlight Sonata 1st movement (although I am also working On Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545 1st mov.).

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Triple J
I've recently joined PW having taken back to the piano in the last year and I've fallen under the spell of Beethoven where it was Bach in school years and years ago. I've also been making my first foray into the Pathetique this past year and enjoy it more and more as the mind gets it under the fingers.

Just recently watched the BBC Beethoven. Very enjoyable.

And currently listening to the Sokolov Paris 2002.
His Beethoven is so fresh and full of life, it is really hard to fathom.

It's always good to fall under Beethoven's spell! smile
When you meant the BBC prgramme- did you mean the documentary-drama one with Paul Rhys?
If you really want Beethoven fresh and full of life then Ronald Brautigam on fortepiano is it!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by shaolin95
Glad to see this thread.
The reason I got into piano again was first because of Beethoven..my long time goal is to play Moonlight Sonata 3rd movement. smile
Of course, as I get more and more into classical, I am falling in love with many more composers and pieces. Some which are maybe beyond what I will be able to reach since I started as an adult but I for sure wont quit working to get there.
As my first official classical piece I just finished Fur Elise.
This was a piece I never intended to learn...it seemed so dull and tired already (probably thanks to a version I dislike so much by Richard Clayderman).
In any case, after listening to Valentina Lisitsa, I learned that there is a lot of beauty on that piece again and I am thrilled to be able to play it now.
Next stop is Moonlight Sonata 1st movement (although I am also working On Mozart Piano Sonata in C, K. 545 1st mov.).

Yes, Beethoven needed his own thread! I am working on Fur Elise as well.I like Valentina also. There is great beauty in Fur Elise- I can feel it as I practise it even though I am a clumsy beginner.
I am sure you will love practising the C sharp minor sonata.
You know what I haven't listened to any of Mozart's piano sonatas.I ought to do that- will be interesting to see how different they sound to Beethoven's. I have heard some of Haydn's and all of Chopin's. Both of them are good but, I think from what I have heard, Beethoven was the master of piano sonatas. The Hammerklavier cannot be beaten!

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
You know what I haven't listened to any of Mozart's piano sonatas.I ought to do that- will be interesting to see how different they sound to Beethoven's. I have heard some of Haydn's and all of Chopin's. Both of them are good but, I think from what I have heard, Beethoven was the master of piano sonatas. The Hammerklavier cannot be beaten!

Yes it can, but not by Mozart, Haydn, or Chopin.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission