2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
76 members (anotherscott, Abdol, andredatele, Beowulf, Cutec, 20 invisible), 493 guests, and 482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: PX350 has clicking sound on some keys - UPDATE
o0Ampy0o #2169207 10/20/13 11:27 PM
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by o0Ampy0o
That clicking in the video is just the mechanical parts of the keybed. A regular piano keybed makes noise too. You cannot hear that as much because the piano sound covers it up.

oh, we can. They even simulate it in pianoteq. Hopefully some decades down the road they'll simulate clicking faulty DP keybeds too... wink

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: PX350 has clicking sound on some keys
Psychonaut #2171032 10/24/13 04:27 AM
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Psychonaut

Clearly your original was damaged more than you realized but don't over-react to the typical sounds made by the parts. They are not absolutely silent. There have been some cases of excessive thumping reported but don't lump everything into the trash can.

Thumping and clicking are two entirely different things. Acoustic pianos thump, my Yamaha thumps. But they should not be making clicking sounds while they're thumping.

Considering a lot of the parts are made of metal and plastic is it realistic to expect thumping and not some clicking as well? Key mechanisms make noise. Some of the peripheral noise in a digital piano is a consequence of the material and mechanisms and not intended to duplicate an acoustic piano's peripheral noises which come from a different combination of material and mechanisms.

Ashley2013 #2171070 10/24/13 06:48 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Well, I wasn't going to post anything but I hate to report that we are returning the PX350 yet again. C2 and D2 starting making the clunking spring noise just a day ago. Like posted by Waterdweller but even worse and much louder than video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukb9DDFNtkg. What happened??? I really cant blame it on shipping as it was fine first few days of moderate playing. It has not traveled or even moved from the same spot so not sure what happened. Such a beautiful piano, but now I am questioning Casio quality. What will happen when we start frequently travelling with this is our major concern. Is it going to fall apart every time we hit a pothole or turbulence?

As much as I like Casio sound, feel, and features, we most likely will change over to Yamaha and be done with it.

We are going to play the P105 again, which we liked very much in the beginning and seemed rock solid. We can easily live without the features of the PX350, but it was nice to know they were there if ever needed. Also, much better speakers on P105 might be nice even though not a priority whatsoever. Hoping for very little compromise, going to be open minded. Also back to our basic need which was just for travel and practice set to piano sound only with headphones.

Anyway, Im sure Guitar Center will be happy to see us again today. I hate doing this sick

Any last minute thoughts on the P105 before we jump in?

I will follow up.

Thanks again everyone,

Ash

Ashley2013 #2171076 10/24/13 06:55 AM
C
C
I feel sorry for you, Ashley. frown It must be very frustrating to have such hassle with something that should bring you joy.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
Clayman #2171086 10/24/13 07:12 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Clayman
I feel sorry for you, Ashley. frown It must be very frustrating to have such hassle with something that should bring you joy.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Thank You Clayman. Yes it is so very frustrating because this should have been such a simple process: a lightweight second piano for travel and practice --- that's it! I never imagined it would be so complicated. Yes, partially my fault too by over thinking this purchase. But I will not torture myself over this again. I just want to go in with an open mind, play P105 again, take it home, and be done with it today.

Ashley2013 #2171099 10/24/13 07:30 AM
Sorry the PX350 didn't work out for you, as it seems to have a lot of cool features for the price. I dislike having to go through the to-do of returning anything, too, but I wouldn't worry about GC lol. They deal with this many, many times every single day.

Considering a lot of the parts are made of metal and plastic is it realistic to expect thumping and not some clicking as well? Key mechanisms make noise. Some of the peripheral noise in a digital piano is a consequence of the material and mechanisms and not intended to duplicate an acoustic piano's peripheral noises which come from a different combination of material and mechanisms.

For those of us who have DPs that do not click, this expectation is entirely realistic, and the expectation is fully realized.

Yamaha P120, MO6, Steinberg MR816, Galaxy Vintage D, Komplete 8 & various other VIs, Reaper
Re: PX350 has clicking sound on some keys - UPDATE w/ P105
Ashley2013 #2171360 10/24/13 03:22 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Done deal, very happy and relieved smile

If you care, this is the story:

As you know, brought the second PX350 back once again to Guitar Center. A+ service, they took it back with a few quick question and looked it over to make sure it was not dropped or banged up (by me). They agreed the keys were bad and offered to replace or refund no problem. BUT IT GETS BETTER - they still honored 15% off the P105 = $509 total! Plus a check for the $170 which was the difference. I am so please with Guitar center. I know they have somewhat of a bad reputation, but they have some damn good employees that know how to do their job.

Before we jumped on the P105, we had another look/play at the PX350, PX150, and PX5S as well as a few other random keyboards. Funny, this time PX5S had a few clunky loud keys and the 350 and 150 seemed fine. Sales guy said that happens occasionally with DP's on display for a long period of time or heavy demoing. Well, that's not good I thought, especially for a "stage" piano.

Anyway, I had a chance to play the PX150 and the P105, both in perfect shape, side-by-side. Not sure what all my fuss was about... blush

The action is actually very good on the P105, slightly lighter, enjoyable to play. Not that much difference in weight and action is very good. Plus, I like the mat surface of P105 a little better than the faux ivory texture on PX150. PX150 has triple sensor - P105 does not. But Im not really good enough for it to make a significant difference or any. Also no or very little thumping on P105. PX150 very thumpy but probably because keys are heavier - not sure why. So very little compromise if any on the keys for me even though Casio's weight is a bit more appealing - not an issue at all. (also, just wanted to note that the PX150 and P105 keys felt better to us than the Nord Stage 2, Korg SP280 (yuk), and Roland RD300nx. Again, opinion only)

Sound is very good on both, but moderately different. This time we used a pair of Sony V6 headphones. Good headphones - very flat and detailed. So good that you can hear the good and the slight deficiencies on both pianos. Great to use for this demo. PX150 seemed a little more clean and detailed and P105 sounded a little more rich and warmer. Again, both equally good but it truly is personal preference. I believe that no one can definitively claim one sounds better than the other, regardless of The DPBSD Project wink. In the end, I tend to prefer the sound on the Casio, but can easily get used to the P105 and enjoy it very much. Some have just the opposite opinion from what I read.

Size, the P105 seems like a tank even though its almost the same size as PX150. I think because the P105 might be and inch or so taller and wider. Very nice looking piano for whatever that's worth. It tends to feel more solid than the PX150 which is very important. I do prefer the metal (or plastic) speaker covers over the cloth on the PXs. Do not notice the extra two pounds at all. Sound without headphones is not even close. PX150 sounds like a transistor radio and the P105 is powerful and clear. HOWEVER, the P105 does not sound as great when used on a table or counter top. It has two speakers on the bottom (yes, on the bottom pointing straight down!) which I was very surprised to see. I imagine that's gives it that full base sound. So you might want to use a keyboard stand it you intend to get the most out of the amplification. Regardless, I'm on headphones 95% of the time.

So next and most important test is traveling. I'll take my first road trip with it next Monday though Thursday. I let you know from the road how well it travels and hopefully remain in the same perfect shape as when I opened it up a few hours ago.

Thanks again for everyone's help, advise, sympathy, and ideas throughout this fiasco! I honestly think we found our perfect travel companion in the end.

Ash

Ashley2013 #2171377 10/24/13 03:45 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I guess some keyboards will settle in time to give undesireable noises which probably won`t get worse. But the Yamaha you bought is a solid popular choice and should not let you down. Have fun!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Ashley2013 #2171448 10/24/13 05:56 PM
I think it's good that you got the Yamaha. I've had a few Yamaha products over the years and have always trusted their build quality and durability/reliability. I can't speak to the Casio brand because I haven't tried them, but after your experience, the P105 sounds like a winner.

Yamaha P120, MO6, Steinberg MR816, Galaxy Vintage D, Komplete 8 & various other VIs, Reaper
Psychonaut #2171641 10/25/13 02:17 AM
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Psychonaut

For those of us who have DPs that do not click, this expectation is entirely realistic, and the expectation is fully realized.

This reminds me of a guy I once observed at a butcher counter. Swordfish meat is more or less sprinkled randomly with patchy spots. He had the butcher flipping through every fresh swordfish steak in stock looking for the ones without dark spots. After the butcher explained swordfish to him the guy said, "I don't like swordfish with spots."

May we all find our bliss!

Re: PX350 has clicking sound some keys - UPDATE P105
Ashley2013 #2171665 10/25/13 04:20 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Quick update

We played everything we possibly could for hours on the P105 last evening giving it heavy test run.

The keys are much better than first demoed, yes a bit lighter, but faster, smooth and quiet. Not nearly as plastic as I thought it might feel after a while.. They keys give a very solid feel with no wobble, thumps, rattles and clicks whatsoever. In fact, very enjoyable to play. Funny that the GHS action seems more solid on the P105 than the YDP-142 and new DGX at Guitar Center. Possibly because of compact design and key bed I suppose.

Only using Garand 1 & 2 sound perfect for our needs. I think the "Pure CF is on grand 1 only, sounds fantastic on most songs we threw at it with headphone. Just played a little on speakers, which sounded best around 1/2 volume. Any louder was ok but looses the tone a little, but still very clear and powerful. Good news is that at full volume there is no distortion and would work fine in a small gathering.

We quickly grown to love this little workhorse. I think we will use it more often than expected. Having two digital pianos is such a luxury when we both want to practice at the same time. The P105 is so enjoyable to play that we wont have to fight to play the Kawai - maybe wink. We are entirely confident in the quality of this piano over the previous Casio. I would highly recommend the P105 at this point for many reasons, but want to have it for a month and travel with it before I give my final thoughts.

We will be playing it all weekend as expected. It hits the road on Monday. Cant wait to travel now! Happy Ashley grin

Re: PX350 has clicking sound some keys - UPDATE P105
Ashley2013 #2171730 10/25/13 08:49 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Like a lot o` things, once you get into it, things come to light. Despite many opinions to the contrary (mine included not so long ago) GHS is very fast and seems suitable for everything you can throw at it. AND they`ve made it quieter too!

"[Linked Image]"
Ashley2013 #2171994 10/25/13 05:23 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I had the same frustration - returned 2. Part of the problem to me is that the box the PX350 is packed in is simply not substantial- this is another area of someone trying to save money in the short term but in the long run affecting the quality of the product.
I hope your P105 works out- some of them though have an issue where if you are playing heavily in one area of the piano (i.e. I was playing octaves in the bass, heavy chords below middle c) that you could hear creaking coming from the other end of the casing.
It is still my opinion the 2009 boards were made better- my PX130 and P95 came perfect and had no problems.
As for GC or MF, they often open the box to put in a packing slip and sometimes she should not send the item out in the first place, but both of them are great with issues and returns

Kawai Es8
Korg Krome 61
Yamaha P125
Ashley2013 #2172026 10/25/13 06:50 PM
H
H
In general PX350's qualify was quite unreliable last year when I got one and swapped 2 times. I have buzzing speaker issue, sticky key issue and clicky key issue. I really want to like PX 350 but I can't. Eventually I returned my px 350 and got a yamaha. The yamaha p155's build like a tank, even much better than my current NU1. Interestingly I am playing on my P155 more than NU1 because of multiple QC problem on nu1.
PX350's problem is not packing material. It is the quality control.

helloworld1 #2172049 10/25/13 07:51 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I would agree with that as well, and putting items in bad packaging does not help. I felt as though the product was rushed and my concerns were basically just blown off by Casio. The response I got about my keys being unevenly spaced and heights was "Oh, we had that on others as well." Ok, so that makes it all right? My PX130 has no issues.

That's fine I'll spend my money elsewhere.
We have heard stories about crackling, damaged bottoms, uneven keys, buzzing etc. Granted this happens with other boards as well.

Kawai Es8
Korg Krome 61
Yamaha P125
Ashley2013 #2172094 10/25/13 09:55 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Hi Guys,

Just checking in. Yes, I hate to read about the issues with Casio. The PX350 is an awesome digital piano. I wish it worked out for me. I honesty believed that it can respectfully compete with the higher end Rolands, Yamahas, and Kawais. Mostly, pricing is absolutely amazing for all they have done. However, I just don't trust the quality of it. So what good does that do me when reliability is my top priority for a travel piano.

The quality of Yamaha seems almost night and day compared to Casio (on these latest models). As I said before my P105 is like a tank; rock solid, great build out and design, keys feel smooth and precisely in place with no wobbles-clicks-thumps, speakers are robust, sound engine is above par, and only 25 pounds. Hard to completely articulate, but everything just feels right on the P105. No, it might not the "best" digital piano out there, but it is probably most pleasurable trustworthy ironclad choice under $600 in my opinion. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Ash

Last edited by Ashley2013; 10/25/13 10:00 PM.
Ashley2013 #2172382 10/26/13 12:43 PM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Ashley2013

The quality of Yamaha seems almost night and day compared to Casio (on these latest models). As I said before my P105 is like a tank; rock solid, great build out and design, keys feel smooth and precisely in place with no wobbles-clicks-thumps, speakers are robust, sound engine is above par, and only 25 pounds. Hard to completely articulate, but everything just feels right on the P105. No, it might not the "best" digital piano out there, but it is probably most pleasurable trustworthy ironclad choice under $600 in my opinion. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Hi Ash. I almost purchased a p105 just to take to minor gigs, travel, and mostly keep in my office at work to practice until rush hour is over. I completely agree with you that it is rock solid, excellent sound, good speakers, and very enjoyable to play. The GH action is very good and better than I expected to be honest.

I tend to disagree with you about the quality of Casio. All PXs seemed very solid to me but then again you know first hand. I do prefer the P105 over the Casio PXs. Even though Casio PX has very good action and some amazing sounds (PX5S-wow!) via headphones, I just do not like the texture of the keys. It just annoys to me for some reason. Maybe because it seems so much different from any keys I ever touch. Almost too fake. Also, kind of trifle and inessential. More about marketing than functionality IMO. I agree with you wholeheartedly about the the speakers. Surprisingly bad on the 150, and just as bad on 350. Not even close to P105.

Anyway I still might buy the P105 if drops to $499 like the PX150 did. At this point I am patiently waiting to demo an ES100 before I do anything. Some good reviews and demos are starting to come in. Will it justify $799 is yet to be seen.

Good luck with your P105. Keep us posted on your travels.

Last edited by Marko in Boston; 10/26/13 04:06 PM. Reason: fixing typos grammer as i post from tiny iphone
Marko in Boston #2172603 10/27/13 12:45 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I'm glad you agree about the speakers. They should be embarrased about them and quit with the "EQ" nonsense. The finance and accounting department realized they could increase the profit margin by $XX.XX per unit by putting in garbage amplification.

I won some money at the Casio tonight before the Gregg Allman show (he played B3 and his piano player had a Kurzweil)
I might use it for a black friday deal

Kawai Es8
Korg Krome 61
Yamaha P125
PossumES8Krome61 #2172633 10/27/13 05:15 AM
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Possum SP280Krome
I'm glad you agree about the speakers. They should be embarrased about them and quit with the "EQ" nonsense. The finance and accounting department realized they could increase the profit margin by $XX.XX per unit by putting in garbage amplification.

I won some money at the Casio tonight before the Gregg Allman show (he played B3 and his piano player had a Kurzweil)
I might use it for a black friday deal

Hi Possum, OT: love Gregg Allman & Allman Bro. Seen them many times,
Check this out: http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/10-Questions-with-GREGG-ALLMAN/4458

PossumES8Krome61 #2172670 10/27/13 07:08 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
"I won some money at the Casio tonight . ."

Casino? grin

"[Linked Image]"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Relation beetwen woofer inches - piano feet
by Ubu - 12/03/20 09:47 AM
Cleaning up 100 year old ebony finishes
by jkess114 - 12/03/20 08:58 AM
upright piano looks like a grand piano
by Maximillyan - 12/03/20 08:14 AM
VST and Kawai CA99
by Pianuslongus - 12/03/20 07:49 AM
Best Recording For Piano ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 12/03/20 05:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,230
Posts3,029,992
Members99,460
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission