2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2170331 10/22/13 10:35 PM
OP Offline
I was wondering what will be the next themed recital, as I would really like to particpate in one having not been able to before. I am not sure if the Joplin one is the next one or not? My teacher just assigned four of Tchaikovsky's songs to learn and my teacher has this whole book of his songs, waltzs, polkas, mazurkas, etc... and I was thinking that perhaps that could be enough pieces for the next recital, the right combination of easier and more complicated pieces.

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by IreneAdler
I was wondering what will be the next themed recital, as I would really like to particpate in one having not been able to before. I am not sure if the Joplin one is the next one or not? My teacher just assigned four of Tchaikovsky's songs to learn and my teacher has this whole book of his songs, waltzs, polkas, mazurkas, etc... and I was thinking that perhaps that could be enough pieces for the next recital, the right combination of easier and more complicated pieces.

The Joplin recital hits March 15.

There's a Chopin Mazurka recital going on in Pianist's Corner that has a closer deadline--my guess is November/December as its original date got pushed out a bit.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Best thing you can do is propose your own recital of whatever theme you choose. You can do that. "The Management" doesn't do it because there's no management. All the moderators do is moderate. They're the bouncers but they don't run the club. We do. Thow out the proposal. You should get plenty of interest. And plenty of offers of help so you needn't feel overwhelmed with the practicalities.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Don`t feel overwhelmed at proposing this. Rather like "Volunteers wanted!" and everybody steps back a pace . . . . YOU got the job! Congratulations! Just put up a post asking for volunteers for assistance. We might not all stand back . . . grin Nah then Tchaikovsky, is it? Just thankful it ain`t Mussorgsky

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Irene Adler - the name rings a bell. Weren't you Sherlock Holmes adversary in "A Scandal in Bohemia"? smile

And the Chopin Mazurka deadline is Dec 15th, I think. At least that's what I'm counting on. Not sure how well my playing will be received in the Pianist Corner - those people scare me...

The Joplin deadline is March 15th. The ABF quarterly recitals are Feb 15, May 15, Aug 15, Nov 15 - regular as clockwork...

Tchaikovsky sounds interesting - I don't know any of his pieces. I listened to his biography from the "Great Courses". The Professor said that he committed suicide when faced with exposure over a sex scandal with a young man. I had never heard or read that anywhere before - not sure if that is a widely accepted version of his death or not.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Don't forget our quarterly recitals, either. There's no theme, but the viewership is large. A thread describing the next recital and opening it for submissions will be posted sometime on Oct. 31, with the recital going live late on Nov. 14.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Whizbang

The Joplin recital hits March 15.

There's a Chopin Mazurka recital going on in Pianist's Corner that has a closer deadline--my guess is November/December as its original date got pushed out a bit.

December 16 is the deadline - so there's still almost 2 months left. There are 5 Mazurkas yet to be claimed - please drop by and take one. smile

Regards,

Polyphonist
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
I was wondering what will be the next themed recital, as I would really like to particpate in one having not been able to before.
My teacher just assigned four of Tchaikovsky's songs
I was thinking that perhaps that could be enough pieces for the next recital, the right combination of easier and more complicated pieces.

Tchaikovsky sounds fun ... I once played "Dance of the Sugar Plumb Fairy" but think I would need to start fresh again.

What about throwing out a bunch of ideas and seeing what is most popular and what sticks?

I'm not opposed to Tchaikovsky at all, but also interested in ALL genres. Joplin, for example will be nice shift/contrast to Mendelssohn and Grieg of late ...

what about an Elton John or Beatles Theme? Would there be any interest in that?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Greener

Our own or off-the-peg piano arrangements of Beatles songs could be a lot of fun.

P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Tchaikovsky sounds fun ... I once played "Dance of the Sugar Plumb Fairy..."

grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
IreneA - Ya still there, lass, or have we scared you off?? Come back! Come back! grin Somebody else will do it if you don`t want to; it`s good you brought the subject up!

"[Linked Image]"

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
If we do Tchaikovsky, I claim Italian Song (op. 39 no. 15)! Don't wanna be caught unprepared grin

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J

I keep saying I have to learn some Beatles' songs for my assisted living gigs. It's not going to be very long before folks my age, rather than my mother's age, are going to be there :\ And we were there with The Beatles on Ed Sullivan -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
....... well if anyone suggests/starts a Lady G themed recital, I'll have 'Bad Romance' lol wink

I`ll have "Poker Face" grin

"[Linked Image]"

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Well I propose a Madonna recital then! I'll play What Can You Lose, and then you can call me 88 Keys.

grin

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
Tchaikovsky sounds great to me, if someone wants to start that one up in a few months. I need to get through Joplin first! eek

A pop one could be a lot of fun too..

Would the Britney Spears Counterpoint count?

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Gee.... I thought if you did Beatles, Lady GG, Britney or any POP. You'd have to sing it also....
I"d kind like to see that... Imagine Wayne singing Lady GG. smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by peterws
IreneA - Ya still there, lass, or have we scared you off?? Come back! Come back! grin Somebody else will do it if you don`t want to; it`s good you brought the subject up!

Nah! I don't frighten that easily, I was just caught in a wave of calculus homework that had a rather impending deadline. Once you learn to deal, with derivatives, integrals, sequences, and infinite series, it would take something like trying to learn Chopin's Revoluntionary Étude in two weeks to scare me.

I like the idea of a Beatles recital that could be fun, as I have always wanted to learn to play their songs.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sam S

Irene Adler - the name rings a bell. Weren't you Sherlock Holmes adversary in "A Scandal in Bohemia"? smile

Why yes, I can not deny that I did in fact in the year 1888, I gave that great consulting detective, a run for his money; and I am pleased to report I danced a merry jig around his plan to capture the photograph in question.

Hmm... so there are recitals in December, February, March etc... Anyone up for January or April? I hope that this recital can happen, as I grew up dancing to his music, thirteen years spent in the ballet world, and it is so lovely.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission