2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
JoelW #2168064 10/18/13 10:27 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BTW there are similar issues in the 1st Scherzo too....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUiHBjQku0o

JoelW #2168067 10/18/13 10:49 AM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
The introduction is funnier than the playing.

JoelW #2168074 10/18/13 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by JoelW
The introduction is funnier than the playing.

Indeed. grin
And the ovation is second funniest.

JoelW #2168120 10/18/13 01:01 PM
M
M
Thanks everyone. I will try what you all said, but I think what Mark said comes closest to my problem. I'm a big believer in technique being half physical half mental. It's definitely a mental block. Mark, I will try what you said and let you know how it works out for me.

And by the way, "conscious mind" isn't that bad. grin

There are similar issues in parts of the 3rd Scherzo -- the 'fluttering' passages.

Yes! When I attempted this Scherzo, I choked on that too. It's definitely not physical because if it were, it would be impossible for me every time, but that wasn't the case. I could play them sometimes perfectly, and sometimes choke halfway through.

Technique is very mental!
And yet, mental tension can originate from a physical technical issue. By looking at the passage in question from many different angles can be helpful in overcoming psychological barriers by being able to fully understand what is going on in the passage and how it should feel when you play it.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
JoelW #2168130 10/18/13 01:21 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
It happens so often in Chopin that it can almost be considered a "characteristic trait" of his : the note "patterns" or "groupings" are in physical conflict - as it were - with the time signature. I so often see "patterns" of four notes, repeated every two beats in a time signature of 3/4.

You may call it 'hemiola' - although I'm not sure it is - but that certainly is the idea. Once you isolate the passage and play in groups of two or groups of four instead of trying to think of it in groups of three, then the technical challenges seem somewhat minimized.

Eventually, however, the patterns have to be put back into the triple meter.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
JoelW #2168139 10/18/13 01:58 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
What about the F major waltz? hahaha

JoelW #2168223 10/18/13 05:35 PM
What about the F major waltz? hahaha

Same thing! smile

And my 'favorite' example, because of the agony I've gone through with it: The final RH riff in the B minor sonata. It's groups of 4 -- not 6, which is what it looks like on the page -- and the groups-of-4 aren't really exactly where they look like they are either.

BTW those groups-of-4 are an exact retrograde of the 2nd through 5th notes of the movement's main theme.

And they're also an exact inversion of those notes.

Chopin is full of puzzles like that. Not nearly as much as Bach, but he might be a distant 2nd. smile

OK, OK -- 3rd. There's Beethoven.

Ooops, there's Mozart too.
4th.
ha

Bruce: You're right that the thing in the 4th scherzo isn't absolutely a "hemiola" -- but it is a hemiola according to the broader definition, which is pretty commonly how the term is taken. Not necessarily most commonly smile but pretty commonly. Anyway that's why I qualified it by saying "sort of" and "quasi."

Mark_C #2168226 10/18/13 05:45 PM
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Chopin is full of puzzles like that. Not nearly as much as Bach, but he might be a distant 2nd. smile

OK, OK -- 3rd. There's Beethoven.

Ooops, there's Mozart too.
4th.
ha

What about Brahms? grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
JoelW #2169776 10/21/13 09:55 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
How does one get the descending chord progressions up to speed? They're the reason why I put this piece on the shelf. When I play them, I choke. I've tried practicing them slower but I didn't get much results. Is this a case of starting slow and working up speed or is this some kind of mental block I have?

Practice everything legato; both the ascending& descending chord progressions. It works

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
JoelW #2169860 10/22/13 02:04 AM
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Does anyone have any real advice?

Simplifying - or what may technically be referred to as outlining or skeletonizing - is very real advice and often claimed by pedagogues to be the single best practice tool.

Here are a few topical resources on the subject:

Graham Fitch goes into further detail about how to use the powerful tool in his ebook, Practising the Piano eBook - Practice Tools

JoelW #2169877 10/22/13 04:22 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Slow practice, slow practice and slow practice... and concentration (which is something you must train yourself to do). The inconsistency you're experiencing isn't from some mental "block", but because the physical aspect isn't there yet. When we "get it" part of the time and "know" we can do it and the rest of the time we're frustrated, because we can't replicate what we've done when successful, it means that we don't know exactly what needs to be done yet to properly execute said passage. We're only guessing. This is where a good teacher pays off in dividends. We need to learn, and learn how to employ, the proper technique for said passage and mentally learn how to concentrate our focus so that we consistently do the same thing each time we're presented with said challenge.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

stores #2169912 10/22/13 07:57 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by stores
Slow practice, slow practice and slow practice... and concentration (which is something you must train yourself to do). The inconsistency you're experiencing isn't from some mental "block", but because the physical aspect isn't there yet. When we "get it" part of the time and "know" we can do it and the rest of the time we're frustrated, because we can't replicate what we've done when successful, it means that we don't know exactly what needs to be done yet to properly execute said passage. We're only guessing. This is where a good teacher pays off in dividends. We need to learn, and learn how to employ, the proper technique for said passage and mentally learn how to concentrate our focus so that we consistently do the same thing each time we're presented with said challenge.
This is a great explanation of how the physical and the mental are so tied together. Playing piano is a physical act, but we first have to wrap our minds completely around what we need to do physically. That doesn't mean we micro-manage every physical component - that tends to be slow and stiff at best. But understand the parts that we play consciously and letting the unconscious parts go. If you don't completely understand it, you may have success now and then but not be able to replicate it every time. It is really important to process after the fact how something felt, to analyze what you did - and better, when you try again and it fails, to analyze what was different and why it failed.

I agree, having a teacher is so valuable for these things.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
....and IMO what it shows is the divergent ways of seeing this, and how one can possibly miss the boat if he just dismisses one of them.

Most here approached it as though it's primarily a technical thing. I'm saying it's hardly that at all. You're tying the ideas together nicely. I think that for most people who have a problem like what Joel described, all the slow practice or fast practice or medium practice in the world wouldn't straighten it out unless he also realized aspects of the passage like the ones that were noted. It would enable him to play it better, but not totally reliably, plus it would be a much less efficient approach.

I'm not saying it's necessarily right to look at it mainly this other way (although I think so) grin i.e. that it's mainly a failure to grasp that what's going on in the passage is deceptively confusing -- but I'm saying that it's a big mistake to dismiss this. It's at least a useful additional approach -- to wonder, why is this passage giving me so much trouble, and that sometimes it's conceptual things about the passage that one hasn't been realizing.

JoelW #2170198 10/22/13 05:53 PM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Having practised, played and performed the Scherzi quite a lot, I must say that your problems with the ascending/descending chordprogressions as you mentioned bewilder me a bit, the whole problem of the 4th Scherzo shouldn't be in being able to play those accurately, it's much more in the the 'asides' that the problem lurks, and in maintaining a basic tempo for the whole piece, even in the first half of the coda, the sunny trills that even might evoke Siegfried's Waldvogel...If you have trouble in playing the chordprogressions, well, do try a bit of Saint-Saens's 2nd concerto, 2dn mov, or even Pierné's concerto, and concentrate on the trills in thirds, those are rather difficult to keep even and soft, harder than all those chords and all those tricky rubs up and downs that have to sound so lightweight.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
Having practised, played and performed the Scherzi quite a lot, I must say that your problems with the ascending/descending chordprogressions as you mentioned bewilder me a bit, the whole problem of the 4th Scherzo shouldn't be in being able to play those accurately, it's much more in the the 'asides' that the problem lurks, and in maintaining a basic tempo for the whole piece, even in the first half of the coda, the sunny trills that even might evoke Siegfried's Waldvogel...If you have trouble in playing the chordprogressions, well, do try a bit of Saint-Saens's 2nd concerto, 2dn mov, or even Pierné's concerto, and concentrate on the trills in thirds, those are rather difficult to keep even and soft, harder than all those chords and all those tricky rubs up and downs that have to sound so lightweight.

But I don't have a problem with that stuff. The thirds trills are easy for me and all of the runs are relatively easy except for a certain one and the ascending half of the run in the codetta, but those just take metronome work for me to get faster. I was making good progress with those. The descending chords are seriously the hardest part of the whole piece for me.

JoelW #2170256 10/22/13 08:00 PM
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato

But I don't have a problem with that stuff. The thirds trills are easy for me and all of the runs are relatively easy except for a certain one and the ascending half of the run in the codetta, but those just take metronome work for me to get faster. I was making good progress with those. The descending chords are seriously the hardest part of the whole piece for me.

Like I said, practice those descending chords legato. That's the advice I got from my mentor when learning the Scherzo and up till now I still practice it that way.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
JoelW #2170260 10/22/13 08:04 PM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Okay I will.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission