2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2169898 10/22/13 07:07 AM
P
PNO2NER Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Esteemed Colleagues:
I have been hired to inspect (prior to purchase) a Yamaha gray market G2 grand piano with a DamppChaser system. The instrument is 125 miles away from me. Besides the usual caution we all know about, is there anything additional I should be aware of concerning the piano or the dealer who is in Stevens Point, WI. Thanks for your comments.
Mike Kurta, RPT
Traverse City, MI

D
D
I was disappointed with the una corda pedal's action on my (new) Yamaha grand. It didn't move enough to omit a string from the bi- and tri- chords. Which meant on a new piano it had no effect at all. Your piano is used of course.

I mention it though, because the dealer hadn't tried the una corda. Nor did the free first tuner-technician visit.

Some hitch pins were loose and adding to the harsh sound. Again, I mention it because my first technician to visit didn't see it/mention it.

Yamaha C3X SH

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Are you referring to Jim Laabs? It's a large, full service music store that is not exclusively a piano dealership. There are no particular red flags involved with the company.

That is a long way to go for an inspection of a G2! I hope there is still some "fall color" remaining for your drive.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by de cajon
I was disappointed with the una corda pedal's action on my (new) Yamaha grand. It didn't move enough to omit a string from the bi- and tri- chords. Which meant on a new piano it had no effect at all. Your piano is used of course.

I mention it though, because the dealer hadn't tried the una corda. Nor did the free first tuner-technician visit.

Some hitch pins were loose and adding to the harsh sound. Again, I mention it because my first technician to visit didn't see it/mention it.

There are two possible regulation standards for an una corda pedal. One is to move the action so that one string is not touched, and the other is to move it far enough that the strings are not in the grooves, but still hit by the hammer. Either is legitimate. Both rely on the hammers being somewhat worn before there is much of an audible difference, which is why I tend to discount the pedal's utility. In any case, it is trivial to adjust.

Loose hitch pins are rare, and probably not the cause of harsh sound. The CX series seems pretty harsh to me, but can be voiced softer.

Semipro Tech
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Gray market G2?

Hmmmm. You should be aware that there are varieties of 'gray market'. Out here on the West Coast I see a wide variation in what comes into the country. It may be a great piano in superb condition...or it may be a POS that has had a cheap refinish and quick restringing performed. It may have been shipped in a climate-controlled unit from Japan....or it may have been slapped into a container and shipped in the bottom of the salty moisture-laden hold on the world's slowest freighter for a week or two.

Check for corrosion in the action (screws) and on the strings.
Check the legs and lyre for obvious 'refinishing'. The cheap low-quality spraying is obvious, if you look for it. Always 'ebony'.
Check for restrining and sloppy/quick hammer reshaping, too.

Mostly; these low-end gray market critters seem to be West Coast...but take a hard look at the instrument, boss. I see far more good to excellent gray-market pianos out here...but the occasional 'what the heck!' gray-market gets here, too.

A teacher out here bought a G5 for a REAL good price....and then I was called in to find the cheap refinishing, fair restringing, sloppy hammer shaping, and awful damper replacement. After redoing the bass strings and dampers (all), and replacing the hammers (Yamaha shipped me flanges/shanks/hammers complete)it was a fine piano...but the finish is now also rubbing off from her basic care and wiping with just a damp rag. Some very deep scratches and dings are now becoming evident; especially the legs and lyre. The piano was purchased for $6K. Gray market.

Just sayin',
I am,

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
P
PNO2NER Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks to all of you who replied to my query. I will now be armed with good information when I check this piano out.
Mike

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission