2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2170126 10/22/13 03:14 PM
OP Offline
Hello all! Been a minute since I posted, but the sum up is I've been tinkering with my Casio 330px for the last couple of years. Have made some progress, but still nowhere where I would like to be. So here soon I'm going to be shifting my schedule so I can attack with more time and effort.

Here's the thing. I use my Casio only for the keybed. I use Pianoteq for the sounds. I had to switch up because I hooked my keyboard to my HiFi sound system. Nothing super special, just my monster of a computer with a dedicated sound card (Creative SB X-FI)and with the original sounds via vanilla Casio, it was just fine. If anything, smoothed it out more, did a better job of covering up the flaws.

I have now upgraded my sound system again with orthodynamic speakers. For my music collection it has been a stunning addition! But for my piano sounds... not so much. The resolution and detail is so high now that the flaws stick out even more. Kinda hard to get into a piano song when your piano doesn't sound like a... well, piano. lol So the best cost/resolution I came up with was Pianoteq. Took some tweaking but all sounds excellent now!

However, here I am using a DP for it's keys only. I do a lot of stuff with computers, so I always build my systems myself, even including soldering/changing chips and opamps/resistors etc etc for the best results. So I likely will always use my desktop machine to produce the piano sounds (via pianoteq or sample collections) as I always have near first class tech at my disposal.

So here is my question if you've been patient enough to read my little background. Is there anyone who makes Digital Piano's without samples? To be more precise. I mean a Piano Keyboard bed that has just midi support? I'm getting tired of having to turn off my onboard sounds everytime I turn on my DP. (I get to practice only in small junks throughout the day) So it just made me wonder if anyone out has something like this?

Thanks for any input!

What you're referring to is considered a "controller" keyboard...

check out VPC1 from Kawai...also the Numa from Studio Logic.

Hope this helps.

- Gary
Parent, Son, Sibling and Friend searching for inner peace in a chaotic world.
Currently employed by Steinway & Sons, but the opinions expressed here are my own.
Creator of "The Naked Piano" series (http://www.nakedpiano.com)
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>I'm getting tired of having to turn off my onboard sounds everytime I turn on my DP.

Just cut the wires to the speakers?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
M
Setting the volume low would be less aggressive!

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by NoFingers
Is there anyone who makes Digital Piano's without samples? To be more precise. I mean a Piano Keyboard bed that has just midi support? I'm getting tired of having to turn off my onboard sounds everytime I turn on my DP.

As mentioned, what you're asking for is a MIDI controller, and there are a number of them. But also, any DP that doesn't have speakers in it will make all onboard sounds inaudible unless you specifically connect its audio out to an amp/speaker. Or, for a model with speakers, you can leave a dummy plug in its headphone jack, or keep the volume knob at minimum.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
OP's post has Kawai VPC1 written all over it!

xorbe #2170193 10/22/13 05:41 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by xorbe
OP's post has Kawai VPC1 written all over it!

Yes agree. But it's 10,000 times the price of a blank headphone plug, which meets the OP's stated requirements.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
How about changing the 'Local Control' setting to OFF, and saving to power-on memory?

I'm assuming this is possible with the Casio...

If not, definitely VPC1.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James
How about changing the 'Local Control' setting to OFF, and saving to power-on memory?

In my experience, boards don't generally remember the "Local Off" setting between power cycles. Probably because manufacturers don't want to get customer calls, "how come my piano isn't playing anymore?" ;-)

Online Content
Originally Posted by anotherscott
In my experience, boards don't generally remember the "Local Off" setting between power cycles. Probably because manufacturers don't want to get customer calls, "how come my piano isn't playing anymore?" ;-)

Yes, that's understandable.

However, I believe all Kawai DPs that offer a 'User Memory' function (i.e. that ability to store preferred settings so that they are recalled automatically when the instrument is turned on) will also store the 'Local Off' setting.

We also draw attention to the 'Local Off' setting within the 'The instrument is turned on, however no sound is produced when the keys are pressed' issue of the owner's manual's Troubleshooting pages. Generally speaking, adding useful functions shouldn't be a problem for consumers, provided they are documented clearly. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission