2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Andromaque
I am not a Lisitsa fan, so I skipped this recital. But the Y has an excellent line-up of pianists and programs coming up: Olga Kern who will play Rachmaninoff and Alkan, Yefim Bronfman who will play chamber music and a new work for solo piano by E-P Salonen titled Sisar, and Peter Serkin whose program is quite literally new:

SWEELINCK: Capriccio
WUORINEN: Intrada (New York premiere, 92Y co-commission)
WUORINEN: Scherzo (92Y commission)
WUORINEN: Adagio (92Y co-commission)
BEETHOVEN: Six Bagatelles, Op. 126
BEETHOVEN: Sonata in E-flat major, Op. 81a, “Les Adieux”

Most exciting and an upcoming performance that I cannot recommend enough is the Isserlis-Denk duo, who will treat us to the Chopin, Martinu and Franck sonatas. A true treat to the ear and mind.

By the way, Tommasini has a rather negative review of Lisitsa's performance. In addition to comments pertaining to the music, he thought that she was ungracious about the program notes presented in the concert booklet when reciting her own version.

Here is an excerpt of his review (just posted online, I believe):

n a group of eight Chopin nocturnes, she was frustratingly uneven, sometimes playing with poetic lyricism, sometimes turning assertive and unruly. Ending with Liszt’s demonic and stunningly difficult “Totentanz” (“Dance of Death”), she pummeled the piece into submission with little feeling for the mystical realms the composer explores in this wildly experimental work.

Ms. Lisitsa left it to her online audience to select her encore from among nine options. Some 5,000 voted. The winner was Liszt’s arrangement of Schubert’s “Ave Maria.” But at the end of this long evening, she played another Liszt favorite: “La Campanella,” a riff on Paganini, dispatched with wondrous lightness but at a breathless tempo that robbed the piece of its playfulness.

Ms. Lisitsa’s fans waited in a winding line to have her autograph recordings afterward. But she had better start preparing her own program notes. After this recital, no writer is going to want that thankless job.

For anyone interested in reading the full review, here it is.

Regards,

Polyphonist
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by slipperykeys
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
My Lisitsa concert thread has turned into a squabble about the musical quality of La Campanella. Oh well.

That may be so, but I think the popularity of the work is virtually down to Ms Lisitsa alone, so perhaps it is fitting that such a work is discussed regarding her.

Once again reinforcing the impression I have that Lisitsa fans in general are relatively naive when it comes to the world of classical piano.

ArkivMusic lists 85 recordings of it as a standalone piece, separate from complete versions of the Paganini etudes. Add in the complete sets and it's an even higher number. So, no, the popularity of it is not remotely close to being due to Lisitsa.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Andromaque
I am not a Lisitsa fan, so I skipped this recital. But the Y has an excellent line-up of pianists and programs coming up: Olga Kern who will play Rachmaninoff and Alkan, Yefim Bronfman who will play chamber music and a new work for solo piano by E-P Salonen titled Sisar, and Peter Serkin whose program is quite literally new:

SWEELINCK: Capriccio
WUORINEN: Intrada (New York premiere, 92Y co-commission)
WUORINEN: Scherzo (92Y commission)
WUORINEN: Adagio (92Y co-commission)
BEETHOVEN: Six Bagatelles, Op. 126
BEETHOVEN: Sonata in E-flat major, Op. 81a, “Les Adieux”

Most exciting and an upcoming performance that I cannot recommend enough is the Isserlis-Denk duo, who will treat us to the Chopin, Martinu and Franck sonatas. A true treat to the ear and mind.

By the way, Tommasini has a rather negative review of Lisitsa's performance. In addition to comments pertaining to the music, he thought that she was ungracious about the program notes presented in the concert booklet when reciting her own version.

Here is an excerpt of his review (just posted online, I believe):

n a group of eight Chopin nocturnes, she was frustratingly uneven, sometimes playing with poetic lyricism, sometimes turning assertive and unruly. Ending with Liszt’s demonic and stunningly difficult “Totentanz” (“Dance of Death”), she pummeled the piece into submission with little feeling for the mystical realms the composer explores in this wildly experimental work.

Ms. Lisitsa left it to her online audience to select her encore from among nine options. Some 5,000 voted. The winner was Liszt’s arrangement of Schubert’s “Ave Maria.” But at the end of this long evening, she played another Liszt favorite: “La Campanella,” a riff on Paganini, dispatched with wondrous lightness but at a breathless tempo that robbed the piece of its playfulness.

Ms. Lisitsa’s fans waited in a winding line to have her autograph recordings afterward. But she had better start preparing her own program notes. After this recital, no writer is going to want that thankless job.

Tommasini, poor soul, must be envious of Lisitsa.

</sarcasm off>

Thanks for the mention that Kern is playing some Alkan (it will be some of the op. 35 etudes, although they don't say which ones). It is still quite unusual to have a fairly well-known pianist like her playing his music in concert. I think that's great, and hope to see it happening more often.

T
T
I have a sort of funny story about Valentina's Saturday Night recital. I was meeting some friends for a very early dinner on the Upper East Side before ambling over to the 92nd St Y.

I got on the uptown 4 train out in Brooklyn, pulled out my kindle and started reading. At some point in very lower Manhattan I saw some people get on and sit right next to me. I didn't look up, but I noticed a woman wearing bright orange skirt, and a young kid (maybe 5-6 years old) wearing orange pants. "Wow, that's a lot of orange for one family" I thought to myself without looking up. Anyway, somewhere around Grand Central I looked over and Orange Skirt Lady was none other than Valentina Lisitsa. This must have been around 5PM. I guess they had been out sightseeing, and were probably heading back up to their hotel to have dinner and get ready for the evening. Without staring, I tried to verify my first impression. Enormous Piano Hands: check. Closely cropped Piano Fingernails: check. Then her still-standing husband said something in russian (Ukrainian, I know): check. Then she responded in her fairly distinctive voice: check.

I decided not to say anything to her. She probably wondered why the creepy guy with kindle kept giving sidelong glances at her. I don't know, I feel a little bit of regret not at least acknowledging that I knew who she was and wished her good luck. Or to break a finger, or whatever superstitious thing I should say. The fact is though, even if it were any another recognizable classical musician sitting next to me on the subway, I probably still wouldn't say anything.

I realize it's not like she's like an A-list film or TV star. Maybe she would have appreciated that some random dude on the subway recognized her and was in fact on his way to her recital. But the other part of me felt like it might be intrusive on her personal space with her family in a place where personal space is a precious commodity.

What would you have done?

Also, are there any A-List classical music celebrities? I feel like the general population would have recognized Leonard Bernstein, but that's probably it. Gustavo Dudamel?

--------------------------
Bach WTC 1 #7
Brahms Op 76 #1, Op 118 #5
Debussy Suite Bergamasque
F
F
Great story, Tim! She's very down to earth, which is something I've always liked about her. We probably would never have seen Horowitz in that subterranean tunnel for the masses!

Tommasini was a bit hard on Valentina, IMHO ... she deserves more respect. I think the "unevenness" in the nocturnes was just a matter of her interpretation, not a reflection of technical prowess. Many have noted (my self included) that Chopin nocturnes are probably not her strong card to begin with.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I would have smiled and simply said that "I'm looking forward to you recital tonight."

Opera singers usually gather the most face recognition.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by TimV

I realize it's not like she's like an A-list film or TV star. Maybe she would have appreciated that some random dude on the subway recognized her and was in fact on his way to her recital. But the other part of me felt like it might be intrusive on her personal space with her family in a place where personal space is a precious commodity.

Also, are there any A-List classical music celebrities? I feel like the general population would have recognized Leonard Bernstein, but that's probably it. Gustavo Dudamel?

Lisitsa would definitely have appreciated you showing that you recognized her and would be attending her concert.

When I saw her in the Yamaha/Bösendorfer showroom in London last year practising for her RAH concert, she asked the small audience (who sat themselves at a respectful distance) to come right up to sit almost beside her while she was playing. And she chatted to everyone afterwards.

If music be the food of love, play on!
T
T
Originally Posted by bennevis

Lisitsa would definitely have appreciated you showing that you recognized her and would be attending her concert.

When I saw her in the Yamaha/Bösendorfer showroom in London last year practising for her RAH concert, she asked the small audience (who sat themselves at a respectful distance) to come right up to sit almost beside her while she was playing. And she chatted to everyone afterwards.

Hey, bennevis - are you referring to the Chappells showroom? I was there, too! Unless she was there more than once, but I certainly remember her telling people to come and sit closer if they wanted. She seemed very gracious and not at all self-important or anything.

You weren't the guy who told me who she was when I came in and sat down by the door, were you? I wanted to respond that I knew and that was why I'd popped in, but I thought I'd just shut up and listen instead.

As for her playing, I find it a mixed bag. She has a very strong technique and a beautiful touch, but some of her interpretations I find a bit brusque while others she seems to nail.

If you're defining celebrity as someone most people would recognise, then I'd say no, there aren't, unless you include singers (Pavarotti springing immediately to mind).

Maybe Nigel Kennedy in the past, or at a push Lang Lang. But generally, I don't feel like there are any classical music superstars whose fame transcends genres.

Last edited by The Hound; 10/21/13 05:51 PM.

Working on:
Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 21 in C major, Op. 53 ("Waldstein")
Chopin - Op. 9 No. 3 in B major
-------------
Steingraeber B-192
Kawai CA97
B
B
Originally Posted by The Hound

You weren't the guy who told me who she was when I came in and sat down by the door, were you? I wanted to respond that I knew and that was why I'd popped in, but I thought I'd just shut up and listen instead.

As for her playing, I find it a mixed bag. She has a very strong technique and a beautiful touch, but some of her interpretations I find a bit brusque while others she seems to nail.

......Nigel Kennedy in the past, or at a push Lang Lang. But generally, I don't feel like there are any classical music superstars whose fame transcends genres.

Yes, it was Chappells. No, it wasn't me - I got there a bit late, because it was a last-minute decision. And I was glad I did go, as she treated us to the whole RAH concert and then some....

I was pretty impressed by her playing as well as by her unstuffy demeanour - she told me that she'd rented a flat in London which had a Bechstein piano, on which she'd be doing most of her practicing for the forthcoming concert. And that the Bösendorfer Imperial she'd be playing on had to make the long journey by road from Hannover and due to arrive only on the day of the concert. When I told her that I'd heard pianists including Lang Lang, Evgeny Kissin, András Schiff and Maria João Pires give solo recitals in the RAH before, she asked me what the acoustics were like, worried that the piano wouldn't arrive at the RAH in time for her to get used to it and the vast space of the RAH.

Like almost every pianist, her playing won't be to everyone's taste in everything she plays, but what isn't in question is her technical facility and musicianship. BTW, Peter Donohoe included her in his '50 Great Pianists' in his series of programmes for BBC Radio 3's Piano Season last year.

You're right, classical superstars are insignificant among the hoi polloi. But I suppose that the latest 'pop sensations' (like 'One Direction' - is that correct?) don't figure in the classical enthusiast's consciousness either. Just that there are far, far, far more of the hoi polloi than there are of us...... cry

Last edited by bennevis; 10/21/13 06:27 PM.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

Thanks for the mention that Kern is playing some Alkan (it will be some of the op. 35 etudes, although they don't say which ones). It is still quite unusual to have a fairly well-known pianist like her playing his music in concert. I think that's great, and hope to see it happening more often.

I agree. I'm very interested to hear that. Yeol Eum Son plays Le Festin d'Esope now, and multiple Cliburn characters have Alkan in their repertoire.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W

Like almost every pianist, her playing won't be to everyone's taste in everything she plays, but what isn't in question is her technical facility and musicianship.

I think her musicianship is very much in question.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by frenchflip

Tommasini was a bit hard on Valentina, IMHO ... she deserves more respect.

Maybe you are not quite clear about a critic's job? It is not about some kind of "respect" for simply being able to play the notes.

B
B
Originally Posted by wr

Like almost every pianist, her playing won't be to everyone's taste in everything she plays, but what isn't in question is her technical facility and musicianship.

Who by - just you? And Tomasina (or whatever he/she's called)? grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

You can include me in that group.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by stores
Originally Posted by wr

Me too. I know it's not really a good thing to compare artists, but try listening to Rubinstein or Cherkassky play the D Flat Nocturne, then Lisitsa.

Also, compare her La Campanella to, oh I don't know, maybe de Larrocha, who convinces me that La Campanella IS a fine concert etude that is satisfying enough musically for its purposes, and quite thrilling.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Originally Posted by wr

Me too. I know it's not really a good thing to compare artists, but try listening to Rubinstein or Cherkassky play the D Flat Nocturne, then Lisitsa.

Also, compare her La Campanella to, oh I don't know, maybe de Larrocha, who convinces me that La Campanella IS a fine concert etude that is satisfying enough musically for its purposes, and quite thrilling.

At the risk of piling on, you can add me to the group.

P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by sophial
Originally Posted by wr

And me. grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

And me. grin

Me too.

But, I do admire a lot of what she does - just the sheer repertoire she keeps all the time, I wish I could do that. And the ease she plays with. I always struggle with everything in the beginning..

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
B
B
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

And me. grin

Me too.

But, I do admire a lot of what she does - just the sheer repertoire she keeps all the time, I wish I could do that. And the ease she plays with. I always struggle with everything in the beginning..

Wow!!

And I thought this thread was for Lisitsa's fan club.... wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Monday morning quarterbacking...

I think I'll ask Frank Baxter to add another forum to Piano World. We can call it, "The Gong Show".

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission