2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 85 of 119 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 118 119
J
J
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Jessiebear, thanks for asking! I had a lesson last week and prior to that I was thinking that I wasn't making much progress with the triplet sections, but seeing my progress through my teacher's eyes convinced me otherwise. (Funny how that works!)
Aw that's awesome! Good on you laugh

Now I'm trying push up the tempo while keeping the RH triplets and the LH eighth notes even, it's actually coming along. I think I can play them at MM=100, whereas I started out at 58! So although it feels like getting closers to 120 is pretty far off, I've certainly come a long way already!
Yes I have heard it played slow and fast, but not having a metronome again yet, I have to guess and go by my fave YT vid of it for guidance lol.

I've also been making progress on the various sections from the beginning up to the triplet section on p. 4. I've figured out how to "feel" the syncopation, and that made it easier to get closer to the desired tempo. Momentum is such an important part of this piece, and it only comes when you pick up the tempo, so that's what I've been working on for the most part. It's funny to me how much easier it is when there are 8th notes in both hands instead of the held notes in the melody (RH) as in the beginning.

Absolutely! I think I posted further back about it just not gelling together until I went faster and didn't worry about pulling the hands timing in together, kwim? It's the only part of a song EVER, where I've had to go faster before I could play it slower hehe!

I haven't worked on anything past the 4th page (except for the triplet section where the LH plays dotted half notes). I looked at the end (the last 7 measures) when I first started working on the piece, and I figured out that I can play the top note of the LH with my RH thumb for that last section. I did it that way because I thought it sounded better than rolling the LH. But (embarrassingly) I hadn't actually looked at the very last chord. Looking at it now, I don't think I'll be able to play it as written. I will probably think about rearranging the notes or something. Or, you know, it might sound ok rolled since it's the very last one. I'll let you know when I try it!
Yeah I have tried rolling it as my Aunt (old teacher) suggested but that just isn't satisfactory really.

I changed some of the chords in I Giorni as well, but in a different way. For the ones I couldn't reach, rather than rearranging the notes, I actually changed one of the notes (I can't tell you what it is because I'd have to be at the piano). I actually can't remember if that was suggested by my teacher or by a fellow PW forum member, but I like how it sounds. So I may try a few different approaches for the last chord of Oltremare. Let me know how you have solved it.

Yes I started with changing the top note to something similar, then switched to rolling, but may switch back, depending on my mood lol.

Barbaram, I Giorni was the first Einaudi piece I played, and I think it's a pretty approachable or accessible piece as far as Einaudi pieces go.
Same! A great introduction to Einaudi.

I have only played through Nefeli briefly (I've forbidden myself from playing it until I get all of Oltremare in my fingers! laugh ) but I think Nefeli might have some portions that are more challenging than I Giorni. However, what I think happens with a lot of composers, but especially with Einaudi, is that the more pieces you play by that composer, the easier it gets to play pieces by that composer. So that might be what you're reacting to.
Absolutely agree. I was just saying this the other day to my Aunt. He does similar things in his songs, so I found because I was used to the triplet combinations in Oltremare, I'm finding Questa Notte better than when I first picked my way through it and said "ZOMG how can I do that??!!"

I bet Monica can add to this, given her experience with Einaudi but also because she started with Nefeli (right Monica?)

Also I can imagine how much fun it must be to do Mozart and Einaudi in the same practice session! It's been a long time since I've worked on Bach, but I can remember working on an Invention and a George Winston piece at the same time, the contrast was just so cool.

Keep up the good work Shiro, I can't wait to see how it turns out for you. Such a satisfying song to play eh?

Inspired by Einaudi and Tiersen.
J
J
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Originally Posted by Jessiebear
Question for players of Divenire: do you bother with the overly long intro? Do you shorten it, skip it or play the whole thing every time?
I am naughty and find myself skipping it because it's so tedious (and therefore still stumble a bit on it) but blahhhh the rest of it is so exciting to play.

Jessiebear, when I was at Einaudi's solo concert in Milwaukee, he played a different version of the intro that I then attempted to capture by ear. Basically it involved adding thirds to the right hand and shortening it quite a bit. It's much less boring that way, so that's how I play it now. He also played the chords leading up to the main theme much more slowly and then accelerating dramatically. You can see how I arranged it on my video. Needless to say it sounds a WHOLE lot better when Einaudi plays it!!

Monika, thanks so much for posting that, it actually sounded nicer with the right hand adding notes, I will try that now and see how I go. I have heard him play the intro quite differently to the score I'm using, in a concert. But wasn't sure if it was just his way of leading in from the previous song, know what I mean?
The rest of Divenire I'm happy with, it's just the tedious intro that puts me off. It's a great workout for my hands though LOL!

J
J
Oh and welcome to the awesome Einaudi thread Barbaram, I Giorni is a lovely one to start off with and I've heard nice things about Nefeli too. The memorizing/sighreading thread is very interesting isn't it? I find memorizing particularly helpful in avoiding awkward page turns at the moment LOL

Enjoy your time here! They are a lovely bunch and very helpful laugh

eta: I 'accidentally fell' onto Ora on Youtube. Uh oh. Triplets. haha!

Last edited by Jessiebear; 10/08/13 08:40 PM.

J
J
So I bought Ora, and did a quick playthrough, and the only thing I really get stuck on is that little bit on the last page where it changes from triplets to semiquavers.
What a nice piece to play! I'm going to enjoy it laugh

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcomes!

Nefeli has a few wicked measures (17-27) that, for me, required much brute-force ultra-slow play HS and HT before I could play them successfully.

I had to get the music out to see where you were referring to. I agree this section is trickier, but I have a secret advantage here. The pattern in measures 19/20 (and repeated frequently) are almost identical to patterns in Nyman's "The Heart Asks Pleasure First" from The Piano. In the 2 decades leading up to June of this year I learned exactly 2 new pieces, and that was one of them, so as I moved into the trickier section of Nefeli I found that I already knew some of it.

Two other reasons why I might be finding Nefeli easier than I Giorni:
Firstly, as ShiroKuro pointed out, learning pieces by a composer makes you better at learning pieces by that composer.
And secondly, I can't remember if I gave any of my piano backstory already, but basically I played as a teen and reached a reasonable standard, then played hardly at all for 20+ years. I'm only back playing regularly since June, and taking lessons since the start of September. Trying to redevelop skills you had before is a lot easier than reaching a completely new skill level. So when I started Nefeli last week my skill level was probably quite a bit better than it was back in August when I started I Giorni.

A few people have been talking about the need to make adjustments on chords that are just too much of a stretch. Me too! I can stretch 11 notes but 12 is impossible for me, and in I Giorni I have made a few modifications. Apologies in advance if this is just a statement of the blindingly obvious!
It's nearly all in the coda section, and once I figured it out it seemed so obvious - instead of the B-F#-D and G-D-B in the LH, I just move the top note down an octave to give easy B-D-F# and G-B-D chords. All the right tones get played, so while it's probably more lovely to have the higher notes at the top of the chords, the impact of the change is not huge.
The other change I make is in the final measure of the repeated section (so right where it says To Coda) - I drop the high A in the LH so I can use my left thumb to play the bottom D in the RH and this gives a much smoother effect. This is obviously not an option in the second last measure of the whole piece because the RH is an octave higher, but because of the accents it's also unnecessary, since it doesn't need to be smooth this time.

[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Islands scorebook is only $14.00 at Amazon now. (it's $20 a SheetMusicPlus). I think I don't need to wait anymore. smile

barbaram, I keep meaning to check my score of I Giorni (that I have written on) but I think what did for those chords was to move the top note, and also double up on the bottom note, IOW play the octave of the bottom note ... but I really need to either be at a keyboard or see my scribbled score to be sure!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think you guys will like this link:
"In a Time Lapse" live - Ludovico Einaudi & Ensemble

Enjoy!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
J
J
Thanks for the link Carlos, watching now laugh It's gold!!!

I'm toying with putting up a recording of Ora 5 days into it, it would only be MP3 though. Will see if I can get a good one tonight...

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Carlos, thanks so much for posting that link. I spent a whole afternoon watching and listening to it (as a reward for some serious fall housecleaning laugh ).

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, it's really good stuff.
Believe it or not, I was delighted with the "Tu sei" version. A real gem... The best I have heard.
I'm going to produce the MP3 files of the pieces of this video like I did in the "Live from Home" concert. Then, I'll share it with you.

Just to point out that I've finished "Two Trees" piece. Meanwhile, I picked up the "Discovery at Night" sheet and at the end of a couple of hours I did it with a very decent sound. After that I started working on "Walk", which is a very intimate piece, IMO.
Curious fact: When I finish "Walk", I'm going to be able to play the first 4 pieces of "Live from home" concert" in a row, by order, and by memory. smile

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
J
J
oh I look forward to listening to what you've done! Two trees is beautiful.

After tonight I have a newfound respect for ANYONE who can play 8+ pages with NO mistakes.
It has been a frustrating experience trying to record two pieces I can usually play right through just fine otherwise.
I'll try again tomorrow.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Way to go, Carlos! thumb And thanks for the concert link.

Jessie, I don't think *anybody* can play 8 pages with no mistakes. My goal most of the time is "finish the dang thing with no major bloopers and only moderate deviations in tempo." grin

J
J
Way to go, Carlos! thumb And thanks for the concert link.

Jessie, I don't think *anybody* can play 8 pages with no mistakes. My goal most of the time is "finish the dang thing with no major bloopers and only moderate deviations in tempo." grin

hahaha that makes me feel better thumb

J
J
Ok this is the best of a bad lot. Please excuse the page turns and the horrible crappy sound quality, my piano doesn't sound as plunky as it does here, I only had hubby's tiny microphone from his gaming headset LOL.
Ora https://app.box.com/s/19o81bu5zg7c0uqe120e (been playing it for 6 days now, probably going too fast too soon but it's fun!)
I Due Fiumi https://app.box.com/s/d1l1l7s70lu509pa7bzr
Oltremare & Ancora recordings I'm still not happy with, will keep trying to get a good version.

One day I'll get a real recording device! And get through a song with no mistakes. *sighs and quits whining*

Last edited by Jessiebear; 10/16/13 06:08 AM. Reason: fixed links I hope

J
J
Now you've done it Carlos: I can't stop listening to Two Trees. It is highly addictive and affects me like only a rare few of Einaudi songs do.

I can't wait to hear what you've done with it!!!!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Now you've done it Carlos: I can't stop listening to Two Trees. It is highly addictive and affects me like only a rare few of Einaudi songs do.

I can't wait to hear what you've done with it!!!!

Ah, thanks thumb , but don't expect too much of my work... at least for now. I'm miles away to get a decent flow as I like... But I'm working on it.
Also, I'm changing some tiny details of the piece - I can't resist! -, so the piece is not finished yet.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Ok this is the best of a bad lot. Please excuse the page turns and the horrible crappy sound quality, my piano doesn't sound as plunky as it does here, I only had hubby's tiny microphone from his gaming headset LOL.
Ora https://app.box.com/s/19o81bu5zg7c0uqe120e (been playing it for 6 days now, probably going too fast too soon but it's fun!)
Oltremare & Ancora recordings I'm still not happy with, will keep trying to get a good version.

One day I'll get a real recording device! And get through a song with no mistakes. *sighs and quits whining*

Ora - wow Jessiebear, what a nice surprise! This is real good. You kept the flow along the entire piece. Ok, ok, there are some small details to work on, but you're in the right way. I've to learn it, too!

I Due Fiumi - I can play this piece, so I know there are some tricky parts. You did it very well. Congrats! Keep recording!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
J
J
Originally Posted by CarlosCC

Ora - wow Jessiebear, what a nice surprise! This is real good. You kept the flow along the entire piece. Ok, ok, there are some small details to work on, but you're in the right way. I've to learn it, too!

I Due Fiumi - I can play this piece, so I know there are some tricky parts. You did it very well. Congrats! Keep recording!

Thanks Carlos smile There's a lot more tone and resonance in real life sound but we do what we can with what we have smile

Yeah Ora was frustrating, I don't make mistakes in any of the places I did in that recording, it's just nerves- once I know it 'matters', the old stage fright takes over a bit.
It sounded a bit too fast when I listened to it, but that's what it asks for, it starts at 116, and goes up incrementally with each section, to 138 by the end. (And it's hard to make it sound like I'm doing that on purpose and not just rushing it LOL.)
I am going to keep trying to get Oltremare tonight. Fun!

J
J
Here's a version of Oltremare I'm moderately happy with, I know you'll ignore the occasional glitches lol.
https://app.box.com/s/yql33if1lbbo80xe8k50

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Jessiebear - I listened to your Ora - beautiful! It's actually the first time I have listened to any performances people have posted here on Pianoworld. Normally it seems that when I have a chance to read the site it's not a time I can easily listen too.

I went back to I Giorni yesterday after a short break and initially was really frustrated with all my mistakes. Actually in retrospect I think I was trying to up tempo and improve musicality at the same time, and all this after a break away from the piece, so not surprising that I was fluffing it here and there.

Still working away on Nefeli too, trying to really nail that tricky section (I said before I had it "ok" - that's a long way off error-free at tempo in my book). And I'm also trying to work on musicality and not just hitting the right notes. That's a theme for me this week :-)

I haven't got as much practice in this week between work and family commitments, and for the first time in a long time I had a really dud practice session where I just wasn't feeling it. But back in a good place yesterday and full of optimism again.

[Linked Image]
Page 85 of 119 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 118 119

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission