2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,276 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 31 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31
P
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Vid
Is it too late to join?

I was thinking of attempting KK IIb No 4 in A minor - which I think I also listed as B. 134 - is that right?

Yes.

Regards,

Polyphonist
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Does anyone have a general recommendation for fingering? I've got a couple of editions fingered by Rafael Joseffy. Is there anyone who's considered to do a better job of it?

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by dire tonic
Does anyone have a general recommendation for fingering? I've got a couple of editions fingered by Rafael Joseffy. Is there anyone who's considered to do a better job of it?

Not sure about published editions (there are much better people in here than me for that sort of information). But if you have a passage you want me to take a look at, I can help that way. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Derulux

Not sure about published editions (there are much better people in here than me for that sort of information). But if you have a passage you want me to take a look at, I can help that way. smile

For the most part there's nothing too suprising but now and again I see something weird which may or may not have an underlying logic not immediately apparent (to me!).

I've been a bit slow to get a start on these so when I'm more stuck in I'll pick out one or two things and perhaps you could see what you think?

- cheers Derulux!

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Derulux

For the most part there's nothing too suprising but now and again I see something weird which may or may not have an underlying logic not immediately apparent (to me!).

I've been a bit slow to get a start on these so when I'm more stuck in I'll pick out one or two things and perhaps you could see what you think?

- cheers Derulux!

Absolutely, I'd be happy to. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Well, sometimes with fingering you just do what makes sense to you. Other times, you do encounter something that seems rather pointless until you get it up to tempo! Of course, by then it's harder to change the fingering. So feel free to ask questions about weird fingerings early on before it makes an issue for you. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Sometimes you utilize your fingers in dynamic fashion (almost guessing at the note aimed for, your arm moves lol) other times, your hand is static almost. . . without which, you would play more than one key!

Wi this Chopin piece I`m doing, I have to keep my arm and hand carefully positioned to obtain a clear sound, at speed. And I get a wave of heat expelling from my person; eek I think my brain`s working too hard. But I love it!

Don`t stand too close to me. . . blush

Last edited by peterws; 10/20/13 06:42 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I remembered that I had a big hardcover Cyril Lemoine edition of the Chopin Mazurkas, looked through it and it has all of the Mazurkas.. even the ones that are still in the public domain because they were first published in the 20th century. I remember playing them before, but at a time when I didn't have that book, so I'm guessing my old Alfred that I threw away also had them.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
I wonder sometimes why the composer did not publish those ph ones. Did he not like it? They are beautiful too. Did he not have enough time and energy to publish because he was dying? Or did he misplace them?

J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
I wonder sometimes why the composer did not publish those ph ones. Did he not like it? They are beautiful too. Did he not have enough time and energy to publish because he was dying? Or did he misplace them?

There is a gap in sophistication and polish between the published and unpublished Mazurkas, and other works for that matter. They are pretty, but they don't have the same substance and impact. Consider the Fantasie-Impromptu - I wouldn't want to delete it from the repertoire, for sure, but neither would I include it in a serious concert unless I was playing the three published ones as well.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jeffreyjones
Originally Posted by FarmGirl

There is a gap in sophistication and polish between the published and unpublished Mazurkas, and other works for that matter. They are pretty, but they don't have the same substance and impact. Consider the Fantasie-Impromptu - I wouldn't want to delete it from the repertoire, for sure, but neither would I include it in a serious concert unless I was playing the three published ones as well.

I will never play a posthumous work. It just doesn't feel right.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by JoelW
You wouldn't want to apply that rule to Schubert. Think what you'd miss out on!

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong

Why?

I'll probably get over it some day anyway.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Why?

Because less than 100 of Schubert's works were given opus numbers during his lifetime. A bunch more were published and given opus numbers after his death, but most of his 1000 works are "posthumous".

-J

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425

Why?

Because less than 100 of Schubert's works were given opus numbers during his lifetime. A bunch more were published and given opus numbers after his death, but most of his 1000 works are "posthumous".

-J

Why?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Why?
Why weren't all his works published in his lifetime, do you mean? Because he lacked time, money and influence. If he'd had the luxury of a normal life span he may have managed to publish a bit more. Then again, he may have just spent his time writing more masterpieces. If only.

Du holde Kunst...
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Why?
Why weren't all his works published in his lifetime, do you mean? Because he lacked time, money and influence. If he'd had the luxury of a normal life span he may have managed to publish a bit more. Then again, he may have just spent his time writing more masterpieces. If only.

So I guess he wrote TONS of music like Bach and Mozart. Are all of his works of the highest quality?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Why?
So I guess he wrote TONS of music like Bach and Mozart. Are all of his works of the highest quality?
Well they're not all of equal quality of course - of what composer could you say that? (One who only wrote one piece, I suppose smile ) But if you look at some of the pieces which weren't published in his lifetime (the octet, symphony no.9, G major string quartet, Death & the Maiden quartet, F minor Fantasie, any number of songs, the string quintet, the last three piano sonatas, just to mention a few) you'd have a hard time convincing anyone that lack of quality was the reason.

(And if you're only prepared to play Bach or Mozart published during their lifetimes your choice will be pretty limited too.)

Du holde Kunst...
J
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J

Schubert is a case where most of his best music was not published in his lifetime. The D. 958/959/960 sonatas, the second book of Impromptus, the "Great" Symphony, the C major 'cello quintet, and several of the string quartets including "Death and the Maiden" all would be off limits.

This isn't the case with Chopin. Other than the Opp. 67/68 mazurkas, which he would surely have published had he lived to do so, his posthumous output is not as good as what he published.

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
No wonder I did not see Op numbers for Schubert Three Grand Sonatas No 3. I think it is the same as D 960. Love the second movement. The prettiest music ever composed by human.

Page 17 of 31 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 30 31

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission