2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I have a broken string and a hammer that sometimes does not hit the string (among other problems). I thought I could remove the bad key and adjust the range but it seems I have to remove the action to get access. The right hand side of the player seems to have some screws that hold the action in. I don't see the corresponding screws on the LHS. Can someone suggest how to get access to the strings and hammers? I would like to do as much work as I can before calling to get it tuned. Can the entire action assembly be removed all in once piece? Picture of Brewster follows and I put clickable urls to the remaining photos under the following image as they are very large:
Brewster: [Linked Image]

Bad Hammer

Broken String

RHS

LHS

Thanks for looking!

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Oddly enough, I ran into the same problem Thursday with another Standard action like that. I was able to get out the screw on the right hand side that holds the stack in, but there was no screw on the left hand side. It has been quite a while since I worked on pneumatic players, and I did not have a lot of time to fuss with it, but as a general rule, there is one big screw on each side, and then the stack slides forward and then lifts up.

Standard was one of the largest manufacturers of player actions. The tracking bellows, to the left of the spool box, are distinctive.

Since you are going to need someone to do work, I suggest you leave it to them. That way, they will know how to put it back.

Semipro Tech
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for your reply. I have had this player since 1999 and previously it was in a restaurant since 1953. It was a gift from the owner. I have refinished most of the wood and two months ago replaced some of the damper felts which easy to access. Last month I ordered a repair manual for player pianos from QRS but it never came it. Not sure if it was backordered or is permanently out of stock but I did see the same book available on Amazon just 2 days ago. Anyway, I put this post up when I realized it may be a while before I get the manual.

I was looking at this and it appears I have the "drop action" and not the wire and elbow. Part "12" in that diagram goes up on my player and not down. I need to adjust item "10" and put in a felt pad, 8, to raise the key slightly (I am guessing).

It appears I cannot do this without removing the stack but I am confident I can get it out and not have pieces left over when putting back in.

The piano tuner I (my mother actually) last used was blind and was very good but cannot help with replacing the wire or key alignment. My sister, who lives on the left coast, recommended that I only hire members of the piano guild. However, she didn't have a problem having me fix her windows laptop and I am not Microsoft certified.

I am trying to cancel my order from QRS and get the book on amazon plus there seems to be some good info that that piano care site.

Joseph "Beemer Biker" Stateson
ask about my '99 R1100RT.

Looks to me like the 4 larger screws have to come out on the left hand side to remove the player action. The reason it has 4 screws may be because the vacuum supply opening is behind the action there and the 4 screws hold the action against that opening.

But without being there it is hard to tell. The smaller screws hold the outer board in place.

Tuning and repairing pianos since 1981 in Ranger, Tx. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Piano-Service/173273022711505

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission