2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi,

I'm wondering if there are many different schools of thought in terms of how to teach piano technique or use technique in playing the piano. I've recently been trying to come up with a plan for my own study of the piano, and I'm trying to familiarize myself with some of the different options out there. For example, I've heard of the Taubman method and the Russian method, but I don't know that much about them, and I'm not really familiar with many other categories / approaches / methods.

It seems to me that each individual teacher will have their own take on how to teach and practice the piano to a greater or lesser extent, even if they are associated with a particular school of thought when it comes to technique, and that some teachers may not align themselves with any particular classification. I'm just trying to educate myself as to some of the different approaches that are out there. If anyone knows of a good book that surveys this topic, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks!

pianokeys135
a piano player
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by pianokeys135

It seems to me that each individual teacher will have their own take on how to teach and practice the piano to a greater or lesser extent, even if they are associated with a particular school of thought when it comes to technique, and that some teachers may not align themselves with any particular classification. I'm just trying to educate myself as to some of the different approaches that are out there.

Are you doing this as a sort of academic exercise, or are you hoping that this would lead to an improvement in your playing?

If the former, that's fine; but if the latter, as you've already hinted, you'll find contradictions in the various teaching methods, and unless you know how to pick and choose which suits you, you could end up worse off. It would be better to stay with your teacher's 'method' which - hopefully - will be based on working on your weaknesses and improving your strengths.

If music be the food of love, play on!

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
As a visitor from the ABF, I would also have an (mostly) academic interest in knowing more about different schools of thought on piano playing -- if only to understand a bit more of what I'm reading when I visit this particular forum on PW.

So if anyone had time and experience to sketch out more of what various different methods entail, I'd love to be educated.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Pianokeys,

In my signature line below is a link to an article I wrote about Dorothy Taubman's technical approach. I hope that might help on that topic, at least.

OP Offline
Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at that article. I'm looking into this because I think it's interesting, but I also want to educate myself about the different options so that I can make informed decisions about piano study in the future.

pianokeys135
a piano player
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I think it's good to expand your knowledge of different approaches to technique. There are many. I once tried to do what you are doing, but got dizzy and had to stop. grin

It may be more beneficial (in terms of practicality/usefulness, as opposed to for the sake of knowledge alone) to dive in, discover issues you are having, and then determine which approach to technique matches your personality and needs the best.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Derulux
It may be more beneficial (in terms of practicality/usefulness, as opposed to for the sake of knowledge alone) to dive in, discover issues you are having, and then determine which approach to technique matches your personality and needs the best.

I completely agree, but therefore the question: which different, mayor approaches do exist?

EDIT: I mean, as a beginner I might only become aware about an issue I have with my playing, because I read somewhere which movement should better be treated as an issue...

Last edited by Marco M; 10/10/13 05:44 AM. Reason: clarifying my point
OP Offline
Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

pianokeys135
a piano player
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Lessons are a minefield. Most teachers won't have a 'school' they follow, some will, but what you won't get is someone who teaches other than what they teach. One famous pianist told me his dad took him to at least 1/2 a dozen teachers and chose the one he felt was best - a student of Leschetizky. If you want to know about Technique you want Gerig's book: http://www.amazon.com/Famous-Pianists-Their-Technique-Edition/dp/0253348552

Laissez tomber les mains
OP Offline
Thanks Chopin. That book looks great. I've been looking for something just like that. On a practical level, it seems like going to meet with different teachers and then seeing which one seems like the best fit for you is a sensible approach.

pianokeys135
a piano player
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Derulux

I agree. Pianokeys, are you advanced enough yet that you recognize some specific technical/musical/ergonomic issues that you're having? If so, you should share them with us, and some may be able to direct you to a "school" of teaching that might be beneficial for said limitation.

If on the other hand, you haven't yet identified any particular issues, I think you should just stick to a good "general" teacher unless they develop. As much as very movement-oriented schools can be useful to people experiencing particular problems, I think they can lead to over-thinking and fixing what's not broken in people without said issues.

And one further note: it seems likely that the more closely a particular teacher aligns themselves with a school of teaching, the less individualized your lessons with them are likely to be (this from someone who's never had that kind of teacher).

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by MarkH

And one further note: it seems likely that the more closely a particular teacher aligns themselves with a school of teaching, the less individualized your lessons with them are likely to be (this from someone who's never had that kind of teacher).

I can see how this might seem likely, and I appreciate your mentioning that you haven't experienced it. But in lessons with a good Taubman teacher the exact opposite is true--because the approach is geared toward analyzing what's working and what's not in each individual's technique. The basic principles apply to everyone (because of the mechanics of human anatomy and the instrument), but the instruction is highly individualized--much more so than in other lessons I've had.

1989 Baldwin R
OP Offline
Hey - Thanks for the input.

Mark - I've been playing the piano as a secondary instrument since I was a teenager, but I began studying it as a primary instrument a few years ago. As far as level, Im not a beginner, but I'm not at a very advanced level either. I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle. On the classical side, I've worked on things like Bach Preludes and Fuges, Mendelssohn pieces, Chopin Nocturnes, and Brahms Intermezzos. I've also been playing jazz standards and doing improvisation work for a while now.

I guess the main reason that I'm looking into approaches to technique is that I've been experiencing pain in my back and wrists, which I believe stems from my approach to playing. I suppose my primary goal at the moment with technique is to get rid of the pain that I've been experiencing and develop a more healthy relationship to the instrument. I also, though, have an academic interest in the topic, and I'd like to find an approach to technique that will help me develop musically and overall as a piano player, and that suits my particular musical interests and leanings.

pianokeys135
a piano player
I'm also interested in approaches to technique because I am an adult learner and I want to be efficient as possible because I don't have time to waste.

Technique to me seems to be about 3 main things:
1) Pushing your current level of technique, which requires studying more advanced material.
2) Learning to play that material with increasing ease and effort until,
3) That material is now comfortable and it's time to go to back to 1.

In the process of 1, you will experience discomfort and tension as you negotiate the problems of discovering how to play that material. However the goal should always be not just to learn how to play it, but to learn to play it with increasing ease and relaxation. You won't be able to move to a higher level until you can do this.

Another important point is to engage your entire body and always seek motions that are as tension-free and pain-free as possible that also get the job done. Especially for easy/intermediate level stuff, there are often many more approaches that can 'work' than with advanced stuff, but most of these approaches are still bad because they are uncomfortable. So the danger in learning repertoire that's earlier than advanced is that there are more ways to go wrong. Even if many ways work, always select the best way (most comfortable, best sounding).

Beyond that, it's not that helpful to obsess about specifics. If you follow these guidelines you will eventually discover the right motions and everything else from Taubman Technique to Drop Weight technique on your own. This is because these are the motions that work for everyone, with very little variance. They are the ones that take the least effort and are the most effective at creating the sound, plain and simple. If you are looking for specifics, the only way you'll get it is from a teacher watching you and telling you or by watching the very best pianists play. MAH is the platonic ideal but unfortunately you can't watch everything he does in slow motion, although it would be great if somehow you could. It would be super insightful. At some point someone needs to take that guy, sit him in front of a camera, and have him play everything in slow motion to create a giant video library of how perfect pianism is accomplished so the rest of us can steal his moves.

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Roland The Beagle

In the process of 1, you will experience discomfort and tension as you negotiate the problems of discovering how to play that material.
No. There needs to be no unnecessary tension from the outset. As a new piece gets up to speed you'll need to be vigilant to keep the tension at that level.

Laissez tomber les mains
M
M
My experience about acquiring technique could be summarized as:

1. Reading books about this topic
2. Trying, practicing and adjusting
3. Observing myself/others
4. Experimenting

Sometimes I may need to try various ways of practicing to solve a single technical problem. And it seems that I'm often not able to play well a hard measure with a single way of practicing/repetition.

And it seems the acquiring of technique is mainly relying on time. To acquire a properly sufficient technique you may need 10,000 hours of practicing, and 20,000 hours may be needed to be a professional performer. Efficient and intelligent ways may enable you to achieve a result 1.2 times better than normal ways, but may not enbale you to achieve 1.5 times of that, just like the studying of a new language. My wife is studying Linguistics, and she has told me that this idea is supported in the present cognitive science.

I hope this will help you.

-Regards

OP Offline
Thanks for the responses!

pianokeys135
a piano player
OP Offline
Hey - I got my hands on the Gerig - Looks really great - Right along the lines of what I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendation on that Chopin. laugh

pianokeys135
a piano player
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
You'll have to post some of your favourite bits! I don't know if he's still alive. My teacher knew him - she emailed a question for me once.

Laissez tomber les mains

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission