2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,010 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
Schwammerl and I had this same discussion a couple of months ago smile

Here is the page on the Shiguru Kawai European website in English which mentions the MPA visit:

http://www.shigerukawai.de/exclusiveness_en.htm

My dealer in Norway also mentioned the MPA visit to me, so it definitely seems to apply here. I wouldn't assume that it's going to happen though without either confirmation from a dealer or from Kawai in Germany. As Marty suggests, you could always contact them directly.

I'm be interested to hear how you get on comparing the different models. Where are you located by the way?

C
C
I have read all the above with interest.

Just a couple of points.

I had a Kawai RX5 but wanted more power and a top of the line model and a seven foot piano.

I tried Steinway, Bosendorfer, Fazioli and the SK6 and the Shigeru old and new models.

Perhaps I was a bit biased because I had got used to the Millenium III action that was superb. I was not so impressed by the Steinway B to invest £70K of which I tried two . Lovely pianos of course but I just did not like them. The Bosendorfer was excellent and the Fazioli just superb but so were the Shigerus.

Frankly at my level of playing I could not discern any difference between the old and new model Shigerus (apart from cosmetics) and in my humble opinion only a serious professional player would really appreciate the differences described in this forum. For mere mortals I believe the differences (apart from cosmetics) are a nice topic of conversation but are really irrelevant.

My other hobby is photography - and most will know that cameras have more and more facilities and there are endless discussions about them. What is important is where you point the camera and in pianos it is how you play it. A basic low quality product played by an expert will sound better than a top tier model played by a talented amateur.

When I got over the allure of the names Stainway, Bosendorfer and Fazioli the choice was obvious the older Shigeru that I bought from their main UK dealer at a saving of around £20K

I am the proud owner of an SK6 and my playing has improved dramatically because the piano is so great I am spending hours a day practicing.

As to the MPA visit - it is included - old model or not.

Happy playing to all

If music be the food of love play on - provided you really know the score!
P
OP Offline
P
Congratulations, Hagar with your new SK6. Good to hear that you will get an MPA visit even although you have bought an older model.

You make some very interesting points about not getting too caught up in new technical features or famous brand names - a musical instrument is best evaluated on how it sounds and how it responds to being played and not much else.

When I was at Jaques Samuels a couple of months ago, the SK3 I played was my favourite amongst everything I played on of a comparable size (including a Grotrian and rebuilt Steinway.) Except for maybe a Fazioli 183, which I felt was perhaps about equal (but more than three times the price!)

How recently did you buy the SK6? If it was within the last few weeks, then it's possible that I played the exact same piano.

Last edited by pogmoger; 10/14/13 04:58 PM.
C
C
Hi Pogmoger

A couple of weeks ago - so you probably did play mine. Did you like it?

I came to the same view as you re the Fazioli

Regards

Eric

P
OP Offline
P
Yes, I think I must have played your piano then (although not for very long, because i was mainly looking at smaller sizes.) I liked it very much - I'm sure you will have no regrets about your choice!

Z
Z
Originally Posted by pogmoger
Schwammerl and I had this same discussion a couple of months ago smile

Here is the page on the Shiguru Kawai European website in English which mentions the MPA visit:

http://www.shigerukawai.de/exclusiveness_en.htm

My dealer in Norway also mentioned the MPA visit to me, so it definitely seems to apply here. I wouldn't assume that it's going to happen though without either confirmation from a dealer or from Kawai in Germany. As Marty suggests, you could always contact them directly.

I'm be interested to hear how you get on comparing the different models. Where are you located by the way?

OK, here is the difference. I played old SK-3 and new model SK-3. Touch of new model is noticeably lighter. That’s it. I have to say that I am tired of old RX heavy touch which makes my hand only tired. But even the old SK has lighter touch than RX.

It is personal preference – I like more the new SK-3 model than the old. I somehow have a feeling that it gives me more control (but hey that’s me, someone else will have different opinion).

It depends on what you like….you should play both and decide. I think that smaller models (SK-2 and SK-3) are the one that benefit most from longer keys. Longer models probably already had longer keys before, therefore people didn’t feel the difference.

As far as inner cabinet is concerned……...old model is very average, but I can’t say that I saw more beautiful piano (inside) than the new Shigeru…..everything shines like gold:) cast iron looks so much fancier…it is important to ask yourself if piano is just musical instrument to you or also piece of furniture.

I am in Slovenia (EU)… BUT here is MPA visit not included. It depends on the dealer, country etc.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for sharing your observations, Z. How disappointing that you don't get an MPA visit in Slovenia.

C
C
Hi ZBGMO

Thanks for your observations. As to the touch I did not try the Sk3 as I was looking for a 7' piano - And I bow to your judgment on the SK3.

I see your point on the cosmetics and you are right. To me the piano is first, second and third a musical instrument and provided it looks very good (as all pianos at this level do) it does not need to be the most beautiful piece of furniture.

Regards

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission