2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
And just a bit more background...one of the reasons for so many gospel songs is the background of the people singing. All of these guys would have cut their singing teeth on old time Southern Gospel.

Especially Elvis...IIRC, Memphis used to have big gospel shows every Friday night. After the show was over, the guys would continue to hang out and jam until the wee hours of the morning. Folks who were not in the show would drop by, to play and sing with the different performers...one of the regulars was a kid by the name of Elvis Presley.

Elvis was an extremely frustrated bass singer - he just didn't have the voice. Many people say that's why he hired Richard Sterben and J.D. Sumner, who were the best bass gospel singers of their generation.

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
OP Offline
Thanks! I'm pretty OCD over pianos....especially Spinets.......
Yep! It can sometimes be hard to tell. Usually Spinets are below 38 inches in height. I always look inside to see if it's a drop action or not. Then I know for sure if it's a Spinet.

1952 Wurlitzer 2150 Spinet...'The boogie-nator' laugh
Man, can it R-O-C-K! smile
OP Offline
A Big 'un? wow I love the older Uprights. I played one at a Garage sale a little while ago.....A Henning Upright. Never heard of the name, but they were selling it for 25 dollars. And the price was for the bench. It still sounded good, just a little warped! And I'm not a Big Elvis fan m'self.....he's decent, I suppose. But he's still 'The King.' wink

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WurliFan
And I'm not a Big Elvis fan m'self.....he's decent, I suppose. But he's still 'The King.' wink

No, that would be Conway Twitty.

Gary
Seems to me, in the world of “rock-stardom/pop-stardom/country-stardom”, you don’t have to be all that good musically, just likable. smile

I don't know that Johnny Cash ever sang a note that was not flat or sharp, but he had his own style, his own songs and his fans loved him! And, there were lots and lots of them; still are.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Rick,

It's well documented. Mr. Cash sang one note, precisely on pitch, on November 19, 1973 at a friend's home at exactly 9:36 p.m. June swooned. His guitar was out of tune, however.

Actually, I enjoy his work very much. There's something that draws you in to that thick gravelly voice.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Wurli,

You might like to check out some of the recordings from Cinnamonbear over in the Pianist Corner. He has a Lester 'Betsy Ross' spinet that he has sounding great. He's learning to tune and become a technician and he is mentored by Bill Bremmer. Bill is major league in the tuner/tech realm.

Andy (C-B) has done a great series of comedy productions played on "The Mighty Lester" as well as some classical performances. His stuff is worth checking out.

Marty in Minnesota

OP Offline
True, Conway was Indeed a far better singer. ....Great, now I'm gonna have "It's only Make Believe" stuck in my head again......... frown

OP Offline
Thanks, Marty! Sounds cool; I'll take a lookie!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
And I'm stuck in "A Ring of Fire!"

Marty in Minnesota

And I'm stuck in "Folsom Prison Blues" smile

Johnny Cash left hand piano style…

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I always wondered how those guys managed those rapid-fire repeated triads in triplets up in the high treble. Maybe the spinet's insubstantial feel, or shallow key travel, or something, contributed to their ability to play them so fast?

OP Offline
None of those things; It's funny you mention the action of Spinets, Especially those with a better drop action design like the Wurlitzer. Do you think the touch is going to feel the same 60 years later? Example: The Henning Upright I played last week. Large Upright Piano. Almost all of the feel in the keys was gone, wasn't very responsive. 90 years ago, however, the piano probably had all of it's touch. I estimate that only about 30 percent of the population of piano owners actually regulate their piano; hence, after so many years, the touch starts to wear down as the action continually gets neglected. The Bass notes in my spinet are very responsive and have almost as much control as a Newer upright piano. The treble notes.....not so much. They were played far more often.

OP Offline
Whoops, I keep on missing your posts! I do try and reply to everyone that takes the time to comment on my topics. Sorry 'bout that! I agree with you, though; Uprights are more suited for certain kinds of music. Imagine a Spinet with Tack Hammers.....that would be extremely tinny and amazing for Ragtime and Honky Tonk! You need a 'dirty' sounding piano for the blues! Speaking of Atlantic, the same spinet piano heard in 'Mess Around' Can be heard in the background on Big Joe Turner's "Shake, Rattle, and Roll!"

B
B
Originally Posted by RealPlayer
I always wondered how those guys managed those rapid-fire repeated triads in triplets up in the high treble. Maybe the spinet's insubstantial feel, or shallow key travel, or something, contributed to their ability to play them so fast?

Oh come on now, the repetition isn't THAT poor on an upright. I just tried some triplets on my spinet in the middle range and then higher up, started off medium (fats domino speed!) then faster (little richard) and then some speedy stuff (jerry lee lewis). I didn't have trouble with either

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Those triplets are a common figure in Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano, both styles that are the genesis of early Rock and Roll.

Many of those original Rock and Roll players learned by listening to Blues players.

Jerry Lee Lewis and his cousins as youngsters hung around the outside of Blues juke joints to listen to the piano players. And they very likely practiced the triplets.

But you are on to something...such fast notes are easier on a looser piano.

Last edited by rocket88; 10/15/13 08:19 PM.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
B
B
rocket88 - perfect display name for this thread, hahaha. I love the dirty piano sound on that jam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbfnh1oVTk0

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by bebopsam
Oh come on now, the repetition isn't THAT poor on an upright. I just tried some triplets on my spinet in the middle range and then higher up, started off medium (fats domino speed!) then faster (little richard) and then some speedy stuff (jerry lee lewis). I didn't have trouble with either

My home piano, as a youngster back in the late 1950s, was a spinet, and the action seemed very light to me, so that's why I brought it up.

B
B
Originally Posted by bebopsam

My home piano, as a youngster back in the late 1950s, was a spinet, and the action seemed very light to me, so that's why I brought it up.

Hmmmmm...maybe! I'm gonna try the triplet test on a full sized upright next time I play one!

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
A good pianist can play on a good upright, anything they can play on a grand.

An upright will, with a skilful player, repeat faster than a grand. The only difference is that there isn't the precise degree of control.

Much is written in these pages comparing grand and upright actions. while it is true in theory, in practice it is a whole different experience.

Spinets, even only in reasonable condition will respond adequately to the demands of any and all of the pianists mentioned.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission