2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I own Pianoteq 4.5 now for 2 months and I can tell you
that the demos only show 20% of it's capabilities.

Changing the mics positions does improve the sound a lot.
You have to use it, tweak it and play it a lot and you will smile more
and more each day....

Schimmel SP 182, Studio owner, producer and composer.
D
daz100 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
To set up the velocity curve I used the calibration procedure built into pianoteq.

It would be good if anybody can add any of their own demo's of pianoteq or Ivory and share their set ups .

Kawai CA99PE,True keys American,Ivory Grand pianos, Pianoteq 8 and Ravenscroft
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Reading through this thread, I was surprised no one mentioned the Bluethner add-on for Pianotek. Most of the classical players I've seen purchase Pianotek in the last several months usually mention that they also got this add on at a cost of about 50% more than what Pianotek alone would cost. Must make a big difference. For a sample of what it sounds like in a few different styles, click here:

http://www.pianoteq.com/bluethner

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Starr Keys
Reading through this thread, I was surprised no one mentioned the Bluethner add-on for Pianotek. Most of the classical players I've seen purchase Pianotek in the last several months usually mention that they also got this add on at a cost of about 50% more than what Pianotek alone would cost. Must make a big difference. For a sample of what it sounds like in a few different styles, click here:

http://www.pianoteq.com/bluethner

so, let me get this straight: the guys develop a software that produces sound by simulating the actual physical model of the strings, materials and soundboards, a flexible software which can produce sounds quite faithful to real pianos by simply tweaking a few parameters here and there, like string and soundboard material, string size, mic position etc.

then to use a preset made out from one such tweak by the name Blüthner, you should pay a larger extra fee?

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Not quite.

Think of Pianoteq as the 'host' software, that allows modelled instruments (such as a Blüthner) to be loaded into it.

Kind regards,

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
or at least, that's what they want you to think. wink

those "models" are not gigabyte-sized samples. what are they? they are really more akin to equations and parameters fed into the main software engine, which is what produces the sound. I'd say the real difference in pricing in the case of the Blüthner, besides the darker overtones pianoteq produce given the proper material and string size settings, are related to the name itself more than any hidden parameters not found in the software itself already...

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
I don't think you can make your own Blüthner (or any other) add-on from regular Pianoteq just by tweaking parameters. I guess it involves some kind of more complex programming.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
Originally Posted by Doritos Flavoured
or at least, that's what they want you to think. wink

those "models" are not gigabyte-sized samples. what are they? they are really more akin to equations and parameters fed into the main software engine, which is what produces the sound. I'd say the real difference in pricing in the case of the Blüthner, besides the darker overtones pianoteq produce given the proper material and string size settings, are related to the name itself more than any hidden parameters not found in the software itself already...

No, it's a new model.

The filesize is irrelevant - the fact is that individuals have invested countless hours programming this new piano model, and are therefore entitled to be paid for their work.

James
x

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by jarosujo
I don't think you can make your own Blüthner (or any other) add-on from regular Pianoteq just by tweaking parameters. I guess it involves some kind of more complex programming.

regular users sure can't. or else, how'd they make a business around it?

Originally Posted by Kawai James

No, it's a new model.

The filesize is irrelevant - the fact is that individuals have invested countless hours programming this new piano model, and are therefore entitled to be paid for their work.

James
x

what I'm paying for when I buy a pianoteq license, then?

all those countless hours were really into the pianoteq physical-based simulator. the models in addons are really pretty much programmer-level parameters and tweaks...

ok, perhaps I'm overstating it. Perhaps pianoteq is like Pixar's Renderman (a photorealistic renderer) and the addon models are like Pixar movies, while the ones included in the package are Pixar shorts...

I really don't believe it, but to each his own...

unlocked by keys
- piano music -
To use your nice analogy, Pianoteq is like Renderman, and the add-on models are like...well, the 3D models used to create rendered scenes.

Cheers,
James
x

M
M
I think pianoteq has hundreds of parameters, and users are allowed to modify only some of them.
That's why they can sell the Blüthner add on, and users can't spend countless hours programming to get some sound they would like...

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Marcos Daniel
I think pianoteq has hundreds of parameters, and users are allowed to modify only some of them.
That's why they can sell the Blüthner add on, and users can't spend countless hours programming to get some sound they would like...

That is what I believe also.

As an aside ... I used to fuss with the various parameters with the belief that my "perfect" piano sound was just a few tweaks away.

That belief has faded and I now rarely modify any parameters. I just pick one of the many presets and go.

That gives me more time to actually learn to play a piano instead of spending my time trying to create one.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission