2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
W
Hello PW. I think anrpiano nailed it.

But, a great pianist who can keep relatively still is all the more impressive to me.

Also it's not easy to subsequently control movement if you're not aware of it throughout the process. I'll catch myself taking deep breaths at the same passages each time, or more worryingly failing to breath. Must be more aware of that in future.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I am a spatial/kinesthetic learner, and back when I was in college, I often felt like never fully understood a piece of music unless I'd danced to it (and my friends and i danced to some pretty out-there music). I'll dance when I listen at home, not as much as I did when i was younger, but still it's not uncommon.

So I kind of see why some people might need to move around to connect with their deepest experience of the music. I often catch making odd and inquisitive faces while I play, when I had no idea I was doing anything of the sort, so I'm pretty sure there are people whose movements while playing began the same way.

People do tend to criticise this kind of movment though. I sometimes wonder what it must be like be a public performer who naturally understands their music via feeling it kinesthetically. You'd have to decide whether to worry about all the criticism this will forever garner you, versus remaining true to your natural mode of learning and understanding.

Could this is why Keith Jarrett and Glenn Gould are a couple of my favorite musicians? I've never thought of it from quite this angle.

Last edited by tangleweeds; 10/12/13 07:53 PM. Reason: word-o

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
peterws, I have read your post, here:

subject: what would put you off a pianist? [Re: Michael_99]

"and people who see or hear people who are "less-better" usually sit politely and say nothing but appreciate their struggle and remember the day or the time - when they were "less-better", too. (politely spoken)"

Great article you wrote there, Michael. But that last part isn`t usually true. Musicians are typically "dog eat dog" and are totally contemptious of those of lesser caliber than they see themselves to be. Which of course, isn`t what they always are. . . .but if they`re quick witted and clever, people accept them for that and forgive their other failings. To their face, that is!

Of course, nobody here is like that . . . . grin are they?

peterws, thanks for the comments.

as always - I always travel slowly through the measures at 30 MM and at the level of pp.

Additionally, I often - politely - write between the lines - (politely spoken) ! ! ! ! !

cheers,

3B12RWS

R
R
Originally Posted by keystring
Here's a video of the pianist in question.

It's in the Key of B and modulates to the Key of D.

Nice peace and nice playing.

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
On reflection, these extremely good and talented pianists do not stop being good simply because they have manerisms that are a bit out of the orinary. They still get bookings and still have a following. I guess at the end of the day we are going to listen to music. If we heard the same musician on the radio or on cd, we would simply enjoy the music and whatever way they play would not be relevant. When we go to hear a live performance, we see them and they play as beautifully as they do on radio or cd so you have to look beyond the manerisms and appreciate the music.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well, I once saw a conductress in a local theatre. She was of course, conducting the smallish theatre orchestra, all amateurs/semipro.

She moved. Boy did she move!! Words fail me . . . can`t remember what I was supposed to be looking at. It happens. blush

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
All this nitpicking regarding mannerisms. - - it makes me think if those who would fault a woman for less than decorous behavior during childbirth. If you haven't been there you don't understand. And if the result is the successful delivery, of a child or a beautiful piece of music, who cares?

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by -Frycek
All this nitpicking regarding mannerisms. - - it makes me think if those who would fault a woman for less than decorous behavior during childbirth. If you haven't been there you don't understand. And if the result is the successful delivery, of a child or a beautiful piece of music, who cares?

Well, hopefully playing piano isn't as traumatic on the body as childbirth!

All of these great piano works can be played without all the swaying and still be expressive. I have two concerns with them:

1) That their technique relies upon these extraneous movements which can mean added tension. Anything that you need to do while playing which is not a part of the actually process of pressing the key is superfluous.

2) If it is superfluous, then is is choreography to help the listener feel expression? One should be able to hear the expression, not be distracted by seeing someone flailing at the keys.

None of this is to say that these people aren't talented, expressive pianists. But if it is done by choice, I personally prefer them not to do it (and I do want to watch them play, so closing my eyes doesn't help).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene

None of this is to say that these people aren't talented, expressive pianists. But if it is done by choice, I personally prefer them not to do it (and I do want to watch them play, so closing my eyes doesn't help).

I wasn't referring to affected movement made by choice but to inherent mannerisms which come naturally to some performers when they are really into the music.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Originally Posted by Morodiene

I wasn't referring to affected movement made by choice but to inherent mannerisms which come naturally to some performers when they are really into the music.
The latter usually doesn't bother me, and it seems natural to them. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here's my perspective. As a student, motion is an issue for me. Although I was self-taught when I played piano the first time round when young, so nobody told me to curve my hands or keep my arms "quiet" in the old fashioned way, I still ended up playing rather motionless. You could have put that penny on my wrists and it would have stayed. When I got back to piano I knew the physical side of piano was important, but could not get a teacher right away. Despite being careful, I got numb hands. So....

I am relearning. One of the biggest things I am learning is TO move, or rather, to allow movement. None of your joints should be locked and even a small motion that you think only involves a finger actually involves everything. If anything is locked up. it affects you. This is what I am learning about.

When I watch the video of Helene Grimaud to which I linked, I think I'm seeing a lot of this kind of release or coordination of the whole body. Even in some of what might be emotional swaying, (one in particular), there is release at the end of it. She may have a reason which is her own for doing these things.

People also feel things in different ways and for some of them it is also in their bodies. The violin counterpart of Lang Lang is Vengerov and in particular his face with exaggerated expression and those eyebrows! But if you see young Vengerov, he did this much more. It is part of who he his and how the expression of the music comes out. Would you rather that these musicians freeze everything, sit comparatively like statues, and for the music to no longer come out?

If it is actual "showmanship" in poor taste in order to sway the audience with your swaying - ok yes, I don't like that either (and it's insulting in a way). In fact, I was not bothered by anything that Helene Grimaud did at least in the video that I found. It seemed graceful and sometimes she was sitting quite still. I enjoyed what I heard, which matters the most I'd think.

It is also interesting to watch, before the piano part starts, the body movement of the violinists in the orchestra. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission