2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hello people!

I'm new in this forum and after reading dozens of topics I came here to ask you a few questions. I'm sorry if any seem too lame, yet I'll try to be as simple and concise as possible.

1) I'm 29 years-old and I want to learn the piano. I've never played piano before so this instrument is going to be totally new to me. I've only played bass guitar but always on an amateur level (no theory learned). Even though I'm a fast learner, do you think I'm just too old to start on the piano?

Please keep in mind that I don't want to be able to play Bach or Mozart in a few years. Even though I really love the instrument, there are only very few pianists that I really enjoy. I would be absolutely delighted if I ever be able to play the likes of Tom Jobim, Ryuichi Sakamoto or Vince Guaraldi (yeah, at least in Christmas!). In my wildest dreams Bill Evans or Thelonious Monk would also be outstanding, but that I know is totally out of reach.

2) I will be having piano lessons at home. I think it will be easier for me to concentrate if I have a personal teacher at my place. Now, I work every day of the week, so I will only have time to practice at night or in the weekends. Do you think a lesson each week will be enough, plus the solo practice at home?

3) Last, but very important: the piano. I don't have any piano yet and after lookng at all possibilities in the used market around, I came to the conclusion I need to buy a new piano. The thing is, since I will be playing mostly at night and on weekends, I will require something small and with the possibility to "go low" on volume.

Since I don't want an electric piano, I don't think I have other choice except buying a Silent Piano. I will never be a professional pianist, so I will not require an extremely nice piano, plus I have two other problems: neighbors and space.

My house is not that big, so a piano with over 120cm height might be an issue. Plus, I don't want a big piano in order to have a smaller volume of sound. Neighbors are really an issue.

So, from what I've seen I've got the Yamaha Silent B1, B2 and B3. I went to a piano store and the B1 just sounded and looked rubbish. So that leaves me with the B2 and B3. The B3 sounds better, but does it really worth the 700 euros extra? (the B2 is €5300 and the B3 is €6000)

Is there anything better suited with this budget?

I'm sorry for the long post, but in here are all my questions at once!

Thank you all!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Stuzender and welcome to PW!

1) No, you are not too old at all to start with piano!!!

2) A lesson a week is perfect. At home sounds very nice! How much extra do you pay for that service?

3) I have no experience with silent pianos. Most users here use either acoustic pianos, digital pianos, or both.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
S
OP Offline
S
Hello!

Extra, I think it's around the same price. As a matter a fact, I even believe a personal teacher at my place if cheaper than me going to an actual school. Weird, huh?

Silent pianos are pretty much standard acoustic pianos right? They just added the electronic box and the stopper between the hammers and strings, correct?

Cheers!

W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
On mobile so can't reply in depth. The composers you picked are pretty challenging. Make sure to share your inspirations with your teacher. Also be prepared to work your way through a lot of classical material ... Possibly for a few (dozen? ;)) years.

If jazz is where you're heading and you have a classical teacher, realize that you, at some point are going to need to take that jazz branch via self study at the least or an actual jazz teacher.

Whizbang
amateur ragtime pianist
https://www.youtube.com/user/Aeschala
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Since I don't want an electric piano, I don't think I have other choice except buying a Silent Piano.

You are entitled to your opinions (and prejudices), but I have to ask:

. . . Why don't you want an electric piano?

The current generation of digital pianos (not "electric" any more <g>) have keyboard actions that are reasonable for a beginner to learn on, and sound generators that give reasonable approximations of acoustic-piano sound. Your living arrangements, and their limitations, seem ideally suited to a digital piano.

. Charles

PS -- bias -- I own a Casio PX-350.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
You are never to old to learn the piano. I know a man who started to learn at age 60. I started to learn at age 43

I started playing at 49... I wish I had started at 29, I am having the time of my life. Enjoy your new addiction.

Roland Juno DS

2001 Steinway L (554781) Gone, but not forgotten.

[Linked Image]
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by stuzender
2) I will be having piano lessons at home. I think it will be easier for me to concentrate if I have a personal teacher at my place. Now, I work every day of the week, so I will only have time to practice at night or in the weekends. Do you think a lesson each week will be enough, plus the solo practice at home?

The more often you're able to have lessons, the better, as piano lessons are ultimately for gaining independence - learning how to learn anything and everything you want both physically and mentally/conceptually. That said, something along the lines of an hour once a week is average.

As far as how much and how often to practice, worry less about the amount of time and more on the consistency. Why you should practice every day.

edit: You should double post your question to the Piano Forum and Digital Piano forum regarding your budget and quality pianos to check out. I'd personally recommend trying out a Roland V-Piano (digital piano) and some high quality uprights if not baby grands with your budget.

Last edited by Bobpickle; 10/13/13 03:20 AM.

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Welcome stuzender! I think you're right to want an acoustic piano from the very beginning. There are some discussions on digital vs. acoustic here on the forum, in the end the best thing is probably to own both or to have a silent system on your acoustic. It will be great to be able to practice without disturbing anybody, at any time, especially since learning requires a lot of repetition and it might not be always pleasant for those who are listening wink

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I think as far as the silent acoustic vs. digital goes, it sounds as though most of your practicing will be done in "silent" mode. I don't think this is good because you will get too accustomed to the sound that way and it will affect your playing. If there will be times when you will play full out (say 50% on silent) then go with the acoustic. If it's going to be more than 50% silent practice needed, then get the nicest digital you can for your money, which your budget suggests you can get quite a nice one.

When you play a digital the sound does not carry as far as an acoustic. I know with the silent option on the acoustic it won't carry, but then you won't enjoy the sound, either. At least with a digital the sound doesn't bleed as much even playing full out as compared with an acoustic. Also, with a digital, you will want to limit your headphone practice usage for the same reason as limiting silent piano practice - it will affect your playing negatively if you do too much headphone practice. Still, you should be fine with neighbors and the like with a digital. Do post on the Digital Piano Forum with your budget and sound concerns for suggestions.

As far as in-home lessons, there are some teachers who do this, but keep in mind, they do charge a premium for it because they have to drive so they have to compensate for gas and for the fact that during drive time they can't be teaching. Still, I'm sure you will be able to find a good teacher in your area. Don't be afraid to interview around a bit before deciding. And keep in mind not all teachers teach adults. It's not an offense if they don't it's just adult students are very different to teach and some teachers are not good with that, so don't be surprised.

At 29, you will have some challenges having never played piano before. One of them will be using all 5 fingers of each hand. Musically, since you've played another instrument, you won't have that hurdle to overcome, but be patient with yourself because your ear will hear what you want to play and your fingers will want to do something else. Evans and Monk were great, and continue listening to them and many other great pianists out there. This will continue to inspire you. But the most important thing is to learn to enjoy the process! The music you can play from day 1 can be great too, if you make it so. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
I got to agree with you it is reasonable to at his position to get a dp, BUT I can also understand why he would want an ap.
I mean I am only a beginner and even I feel disappointed when i get back from the practice grand piano at the studio to my own Px-150.
The sound just feels weak in comparison.

S
OP Offline
S
Hi guys! Thank you very much for the replies so far!

A lot of people are questioning about me wanting an acoustic instead of an electric. For this I can tell you one thing: I have a wife. Weird answer, huh?! Well, she really disliked the looks of electric pianos - yes, even the Rhodes! - so I can't do much about it, because for this kind of stuff the decision must be from both. Luckily, she really digs acoustic pianos. So, that is the reason...

Regarding baby grands, I keep the same space issue. My only option is a vertical piano, and a not very tall one...

Another thing is that I'm pretty sure the techniques about playing an electric and an acoustic are going to be different. Plus, I want to be able to have a nice instrument for my son to play one day. Even though I don't have any sons right now! wink

Last but not least: imagine that the light is out?! I really need an acoustic! smile

Cheers!

M
M
Originally Posted by stuzender
Hi guys! Thank you very much for the replies so far!

A lot of people are questioning about me wanting an acoustic instead of an electric. For this I can tell you one thing: I have a wife. Weird answer, huh?! Well, she really disliked the looks of electric pianos - yes, even the Rhodes! - so I can't do much about it, because for this kind of stuff the decision must be from both. Luckily, she really digs acoustic pianos. So, that is the reason...

Regarding baby grands, I keep the same space issue. My only option is a vertical piano, and a not very tall one...

Another thing is that I'm pretty sure the techniques about playing an electric and an acoustic are going to be different. Plus, I want to be able to have a nice instrument for my son to play one day. Even though I don't have any sons right now! wink

Last but not least: imagine that the light is out?! I really need an acoustic! smile

Cheers!
Of course - and I totally believe that an acoustic is better to learn on. You will really have to try to find other practice times that will work with the neighbors, though so you won't be always playing on silent.

Talk to them about it first so that they know you're trying to be considerate. Keep a written record of when you spoke to them about it and what was generally said. That way if you agree to practicing at a certain time of day/night (say before 8pm) and you adhere to that and neighbors complain to management, you have something to back up how you were trying to be as accommodating as possible. Also, you will more than likely get the neighbors to come to you first if there is an issue or the time needs to be changed, etc. rather than first complaining to management. Be sure, of course, that you adhere to noise ordinances with your apartment building.

There is always practice in the morning before you leave for work as a possibility.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Your wife should look at the Yamaha NU1. They did a very good job at making it look like an acoustic piano. And according to two reviews I've read, they made it feel, and sound, like an acoustic.

My dog, in this fight, has barked enough . . .

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
There are good-looking digital pianos, like the Celviano, and many others. But a real instrument is something else. Even if you end up not playing it, it's such a beautiful object to have in the house wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Your lucky if your gonna get a real acoustic with or without the digital feature. I would say if you got the money go for it. Me I don't, so I have to deal with a digital Yamaha every day. Probably the closest thing I could get for the money and what I am going for. I wish I had the luxury to buy and learn on an acoustic. The technology today is very close to the actual thing but it's still not the same. There are advantages and disadvantages to both I believe. People will say they are very similar but in my opinion they are not. As far as practice goes, when I have just one half hour lesson a week it is plenty. Good luck on your journey and try to enjoy it. It is a long one.

music to me is kind of like putting together pieces of a puzzle
i call it the paino because its where i put all my pain

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission