2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
In my 6 month piano journey nothing has been so daunting and hard. One of the reasons I started learning music so late (26) is because I thought I had a bad ear and music depended on being born with a perfect pitch.

But since my goal is to be a composer in the long run, I need to at least develop relative pitch and therefore I got Comprehensive Ear Training Series from Fredrick Harris (Part of RCM exams)

melody playback is when someone plays a memory without you looking at the piano and then reproducing it yourself from memory. you will know which key is it in to make life easier. The book is a collection of these exercises to prepare one for RCM exams.

I tend to intellectualize things- which is a weakness of mine. what is the proper way of approaching these melody playback exercises?

Do i need to know all intervals before attempting at these?
I think what I am asking is what are the necessary prereqs for attempting these exercises?

Warm regards,
Thank you all

Peace and love and play smile
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
If a person is struggling, going down to easier exercises is a suggestion. I have mentioned an Android tablet app in the past. It has four games:
* higher/lower
* match the note
* identify the interval
* identify the chord

There are also websites that feature similar games, though I don't have any links handy.

For true beginners, even higher/lower can be a struggle for notes that are anywhere near close to each other. However, with training, the games get easier, the scores on the games get better.

Playing back a melody might come easily and naturally for maybe 5% or 10% of true beginners. The rest have to work at it, and some have to work quite hard at it. No way to tell until a person puts in some consistent time.

On another thread, someone suggested transcription as a way to learn. The catch is that an average beginner might have to work hard for several years before they can transcribe even relatively simple pop songs (melody plus chords).

As an aside, it is a tiny percentage of folks that have perfect pitch. More than a few find it to be as much curse as blessing. Most musicians can develop some sense of relative pitch, and with work almost all will improve.

What seemed to work for me was practicing being able to sing the melody to myself. Once I got it fixed in my head, it then seemed to be reasonably easy to pick it out at the piano. Try to observe whether the opening ascends or descends,whether it move by step or by leap, if it ends on the tonic note or some other note (usually belonging to the tonic chord). I found the biggest challenge was the RCM Gr 10 exam when you had to pick out the lower voice melody - you had to train yourself to ignore the upper voice which seems to be the line we naturally pay attention to. I also used the Comprehensive Ear Training series and found it quite helpful. Just keep doing them - the more you practice the easier it becomes.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Have you tried picking out familiar songs (holiday carols, favorite songs, annoying advertising jingles, etc?) That is very good practice.

Last edited by tangleweeds; 10/13/13 02:08 AM. Reason: typo (OCD)

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
C
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content
8000 Post Club Member
C

. . . Do i need to know all intervals before attempting at these?
I think what I am asking is what are the necessary prereqs for attempting these exercises? . . .

There are no "prereqs" ! Well, almost none.

As a child, you probably learned songs. Somebody sings to you, you sing back -- if you get it right, they say "good!". After a while, you learn it -- that is, you can sing it back correctly.

That's all you have to do, for these exercises. Plus two more steps:

. . . Move the song onto the piano keyboard,
. . . and then move it onto a written staff.

IMHO, the easiest way to do the exercise is:

. . . Sing the melody back, after hearing it;

. . . Fiddle on the keyboard until you can _play_ it back;

. . . Then, write it down.

You have no innate sense of the _sound_ of a little blob on the third line of a treble staff, or how it relates to the sound of a blob on the second line.

To go from "hearing" to "writing down", _without_ the intermediate step of playing it on a keyboard, requires that you identify pitches and intervals "by ear". It's not easy.

. Charles

PS -- I will yield to experienced teachers on this subject, if they disagree with me.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pianolover85
In my 6 month piano journey nothing has been so daunting and hard. One of the reasons I started learning music so late (26) is because I thought I had a bad ear and music depended on being born with a perfect pitch.

But since my goal is to be a composer in the long run, I need to at least develop relative pitch and therefore I got Comprehensive Ear Training Series from Fredrick Harris (Part of RCM exams)

I tend to intellectualize things- which is a weakness of mine. what is the proper way of approaching these melody playback exercises?

Do i need to know all intervals before attempting at these?
I think what I am asking is what are the necessary prereqs for attempting these exercises?

Playback consists of first hearing the pitches and then reproducing them, so it's a lot more than the standard pianist job of just reproducing

Yes, it seems to me that as a composer you need to be able to hear pitches and writing them down without having access to a piano.

I think intellectualizing this is a good thing. Why is it troubling you?

>Do i need to know all intervals before attempting at these?

I don't think learning intervals is very useful unless you aim for atonal music. For me, hearing all notes as an offset from the fundamental works much better. After all, music is written in a tonal structure, not as a series of intervals. Also it's much more error proof (if you hear an interval wrong, you would screw up all subsequent notes as well; but if you hear everything in respect to the fundamental, this does not happen).

But I don't know what is involved in the RCM exams. If they really want you to hear intervals, then I would find a more relevant course :-)

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Well- thank you for the advice and to everyone else too. the suggestions have been very useful. Based on your suggestions and my understanding I need to know scales and their degrees.

Is solfege useful in this regard? (Fixed do I mean)
Let's say C scale
Do re mi Fa Sol La Si Do
c d e f g a b c
as well as other scales...
F Scale
Fa Sol La Se (Bb) Do Re Mi Fa
F g a b c d e f

It is easy for me to sing this for all scales and identify them on piano, but I believe to reproduce a melody I need to not sing them in a sequence but have an idea how each note would sound individually or out of order...

If you could elaborate on this, It would be great too:
Solfege in north america is very underrated - it is the domain of singers, but in other parts of the world, human voice is an instrument in itself and mastering solfege is viewed as a prereq for progress into other topics (e.g. think about cultures in which music has been passed over generations by oral tradition) ...One of my friends from those cultures told me.

Warm regards,

Peace and love and play smile
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Yes sure

Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solf%C3%A8ge

The study of solfège enables the musician to audiate, or mentally hear, the pitches of a piece of music which he or she is seeing for the first time and then to sing them aloud. Solfège study also improves recognition of musical intervals (perfect fifths, minor sixths, etc.), and strengthens the understanding of music theory.

But I suppose solfege can be teached in different ways, we already discussed by learning to hear intervals or by hearing the notes in a tonal structure. Maybe there are other ways as well.

I can higly recommend you to get some solfege education.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission